Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Medibart

Old Timer Trivia - Westchester 71B?

12 posts in this topic

So the Westchester EMS agency numbering scheme is basically in alphabetical order. 70B1 is Mount Kisco VAC, 72B1 is North Salem VAC. Who was 71B1? The only municipality that makes sense here is Mount Vernon. Did Mount Vernon have it's own VAC at one time? The thought struck me today and am now curious.

x635 and CG206 like this

The communities that contract for service or having an independent fly car were issued numbers in the 30's:

30 - New Rochelle

31 - White Plains

32 - Mt Vernon

33 - Yonkers

34 - Yorktown Medic

35 - Cortlandt Medic

36 - Briarcliff/Croton Medic

37 - Mt Pleasant Medic

38 - Pelham Medic

39 - Peekskill Medic

40's were used for commercial services.

I do not remember if there was a 71,

But Mt. Vernon has never had a VAC. They have had: Transcare, Empress, Abbey Richmond, AA, Affiliated and before that Mt Vernon Fire Dept and before that Mt Vernon Hospital ran it.

HeavyRescueMan80, sueg and Dinosaur like this

For the most part the list is alphabetical. The only exceptions that come to mind are cortlandt vac (dept 8800) and montrose VA hospital (48B1). 7100 may have been assagined to mount Vernon hospital back in the day. I have a friend that is sort of an EMS history guru. I'll ask and report back.

Oh, and just one small note on Bnechis' post, 35 medic is assagined to Cortlandt Peekskill paramedics and 39 medic is peekskill fire department. That's sort of a big deal round these parts.

For the most part the list is alphabetical. The only exceptions that come to mind are cortlandt vac (dept 8800) and montrose VA hospital (48B1). 7100 may have been assagined to mount Vernon hospital back in the day. I have a friend that is sort of an EMS history guru. I'll ask and report back.

Mt Vernon Hospital got out of the biz 20 years before we wrote the number system. Cortlandt Vac was started after the numbering system, that's why its not in the alphabetical order. Note: I say we, because it was written by a small committee and it was 1st written on my PC.

And Montrose VA was added to the municipal/commercial numbers 30's & 40's since it clearly was not a volunteer agency (50's - 80's)

boca1day, sueg and Dinosaur like this

Mt Vernon Hospital got out of the biz 20 years before we wrote the number system. Cortlandt Vac was started after the numbering system, that's why its not in the alphabetical order. Note: I say we, because it was written by a small committee and it was 1st written on my PC.

And Montrose VA was added to the municipal/commercial numbers 30's & 40's since it clearly was not a volunteer agency (50's - 80's)

I knew cortlandts number was out of place, didn't know about the va. Thanks for the info. It's great to have seasoned vets such as yourself around to get some facts. Thanks again.

sueg, boca1day and Bnechis like this

I think the Montrose VA has stopped running an ambulance. I think 48B1 exist no more. I believe they now call their "ambulance" a "rescue". I do not know the reason for the change.

Edited by 10512

I think the Montrose VA has stopped running an ambulance. I think 48B1 exist no more. I believe they now call their "ambulance" a "rescue". I do not know the reason for the change.

To the best of my knowledge montrose va still runs their ambulance. It is used for transports on the va grounds to their own urgent care center. Anything requiring transport off the property is handled by a commercial agency or cortlandt vac. Atleast that's how it was last year when I rode ccvac.

To the best of my knowledge montrose va still runs their ambulance. It is used for transports on the va grounds to their own urgent care center. Anything requiring transport off the property is handled by a commercial agency or cortlandt vac. Atleast that's how it was last year when I rode ccvac.

As of a month or so ago, it looked like their ambulance was repainted red and marked up as "Rescue", or something similar. the word "Ambulance" no longer appears on it.

Is it possible that number 71 was reserved for Mt. Vernon anyway? 85 is also missing and that fits in where Yonkers would be (between 84 Vista and 86 Yorktown). I know Yonkers used to have a VAC but I figured that was longer than 20 years ago.

Is it possible that number 71 was reserved for Mt. Vernon anyway? 85 is also missing and that fits in where Yonkers would be (between 84 Vista and 86 Yorktown). I know Yonkers used to have a VAC but I figured that was longer than 20 years ago.

If that were true, we would have left room for NR & WP.

Did anyone call 60 or the EMS office and ask them?

Did anyone call 60 or the EMS office and ask them?

They did not write this. I did and the original agency #'s (without the A, B, M or u) was transferred from a previous version that predates the EMS office and it was done by the Westchester EMS council (which predates the Westchester REMSCO)