x635

Sneak Preview: Greenville FD's New Ladder 4

8 posts in this topic

I've heard a now confirmed rumor that Greenville Fire District (Town Of Greenburgh AKA Edgemont AKA having a postal address as "Scarsdale, yes the one on Central Ave) finally is looking to replace the current Ladder 4, a 2001 Pierce 75'/1750/400 rear mount quint.

They were looking at a 100' Smeal rearmount straightstick quint, and were seen "test driving" both the truck and aerial through the district.

A "Protection From The Past" note, Greenville used to have a Mack CF/Aerialscope in the firecapt32 days.

Westfield12 likes this

Update: this item will go out for a referendum vote for funding during Fire District elections next Tuesday night (Dec 9th 2014)

Westfield12 likes this

Finally is an interesting way to put replacing a 2001 ladder truck. Look around New England, a 13 or 14 year old truck ain't old. Ours is a 1995 with NO plans of replacement.

Sometimes I wonder about how some people on this board miss reality a bit. They seem to think that money for equipment grows on trees and how we deserve certain kinds of equipment. I deserve a safe working environment. It's up to the taxpayers and the elected officials to decide what to provide me as far as equipment goes. It's the leaderships job to educate them as to how to best spend their money.

As far as saying a dept is finally replacing something that many other departments would be thrilled to have...doesn't quite jive for me with most jurisdiction's financial realities.

Billy and AFS1970 like this

Finally is an interesting way to put replacing a 2001 ladder truck. Look around New England, a 13 or 14 year old truck ain't old. Ours is a 1995 with NO plans of replacement.

Sometimes I wonder about how some people on this board miss reality a bit. They seem to think that money for equipment grows on trees and how we deserve certain kinds of equipment. I deserve a safe working environment. It's up to the taxpayers and the elected officials to decide what to provide me as far as equipment goes. It's the leaderships job to educate them as to how to best spend their money.

As far as saying a dept is finally replacing something that many other departments would be thrilled to have...doesn't quite jive for me with most jurisdiction's financial realities.

Their is a science to fleet management and many departments have no idea about this.

What is the best time to replace a rig? Much depends on its condition, wear and tear etc. A small department that runs 300 calls a year vs. a busy one doing 10,000. etc.

But their are a number of factors to consider:

1) NFPA standards list 25 years max life, but only if the vehicle has a safety upgrade at 15 years. How many safety updates has the industry seen in the last 25 years? seatbelts, antilock breaks, automatic traction control, tilt testing, etc.? What is the liability on keeping rigs longer than this?

2) Resale value. At 10 years and 1 day the resale value of apparatus dramatically drops. Their are some large depts. that have a very progressive program to remove all rigs from primary service at 8 years and place them into the spare fleet. They are sold before their 10th year. The maintenance costs avoided, plus the resale value mean these departments actually spend less (over a 30-40 comparison) than those depts. that keep the rig until its only value is for scrap metal.

3) Maintenance Costs. Most apparatus components are covered under warranties, almost all run out by 8-10 years. The cost of maintaining older apparatus is dramatic compared to new (particularly when many costs are covered by warranties). Experience shows that in a fleet of 20 vehicles, the 2 oldest may take up to 80% of the maintenance budget. And it is not uncommon for depts. to spend 5-10%/yr. of the cost of a replacement on older apparatus. This does not take into account the down time which is hard to measure financially. As many major manufacturers have gone out of business these costs and time goes up.

4) Budget Cycle - Most depts. never set a long term replacement cycle. This creates major financial stress and causes delays in purchasing which will increase costs (particularly interest costs for bonding). If you have 100 apparatus in your fleet and you determine that the average life you want is 10 years, then every year you need to buy 10 new rigs. If you have 4 rigs and you want 20 years than every 5 years you need to buy a rig. This pattern must continue forever. If the rig ages get to close together, your costs get piled on in a very short period. If you have a steady pattern it is easier to budget and maybe even save for.

Replacement cost (average):

2 engines $500,000 each

1 ladder $1,000,000

1 Rescue $250,000

Your average is $562,500. If you buy one new rig each year you need to budget $112,500 every year (plus inflation) and you will maintain your fleet at no rig over 20. and a new rig every 5 years.

AFS1970, lt411, dwcfireman and 8 others like this

Per a reliable source, the bond for the new Ladder 4 was approved by voters last night.

Westfield12 and vwwh1 like this

Update: From a reliable (and thanks to) source, the new Ladder 4 will be a KME 109' rearmount Aerialcat straight stick Quint. Delivery mid-2016.

A sneak preview....what an awesome truck! Loving the specs and the new solid red paint scheme!

GFDL4.jpg