Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronfrehm

Old Westchester Fire Pix

42 posts in this topic

I like the life net on the side of the Rye Seagrave.

Stuff you do not see anymore.

Pull up rubber boots, riding the back step, open cabs, SCBA for a few, not all. Please don't post any more photos, I feel old enough already.

Any old Yonkers photos out there?

Yes, any YFD Apparatus photos from the 1960's and early 1970's would be outstanding, if anyone can post

sfrd18 likes this

Sid Frank (God Bless ), Ron Piper Sr. GOING STRONG. Washington ENG. 64 P.C.F.D. Fire.

I walked around Main street in Port Chester for an hour at lunch today trying to figure out which buildings were involved in the first set of pictures. Looks like most of them are gone.

Long gone, about the middle of Stop and Shops' dairy aisle/ back room now. Pretty much every building you can see in these photos was torn down for the Waterfront complex. Went to school with Vinny and Kathy Yettito whose father owned Roto-Grip.

Pipe, great spot on Sid (RIP) Think I spot Zinger Gordiski and John Nielsen ....... Trying to pick out a few others, but the pictures pixelate on me, where the hell were you?

Ron, amazing photos keep them coming.

Edited by Stench60
x635 likes this

A kid I went to school with at Holy Rosary, lived on the second floor. Sister Superior came and took him out of class. Then the nuns had us pray for the family. Once lunch hit, I was outa school and on my way down there. Short run from Central ave.

Missed many afternoons of school due to the fires in the 70's. Could here the bell hit... 524 or 526 followed by a 3 box, (some 2's and 4's as well) I was out of there , I knew it was a job. Knew the 3 boxes by heart.

x635 likes this

Had to be in the BOWERY Firehouse Bell tower.

sueg likes this

Agreed - now that I have the bearing on the the pics, unless it was from the roof of 50 S. Main street - when was that built?

I've worked in the office building at One Gateway Plaza for the last 12 years, so the history of the area is fascinating to me. Keep the pics coming!

The South Main Firehouse was built in 1888. RJR Bricks. What a Pool Table. It was GREAT.

bronxfireradio likes this

I am in the first shot standing in front of the 2nd store looking toward the street, had a dirty yellow turnout coat and black turnout paints on that I got from Greenwich FD. This is the fire that ladder 31 hit the 13 K power lines and we all ran to the square and some of the locals saw use run soos theys rans toos !

BFD1054 likes this

Love these photos! Thank you so much for sharing them with us here!

BFD1054 likes this

The South Main Firehouse was built in 1888. RJR Bricks. What a Pool Table. It was GREAT.

And a great shuffle board too..

PHIL78 likes this

Had to be in the BOWERY Firehouse Bell tower.

No the angle is wrong, the firehouse was further down the street.

Ronfrehm, thanks for posting these, keep them coming.

Pull up rubber boots, riding the back step, open cabs, SCBA for a few, not all. Please don't post any more photos, I feel old rt enough already.

Those were the days

Pull up rubber boots, riding the back step, open cabs, SCBA for a few, not all. Please don't post any more photos, I feel old enough already.

Those were the days

Yes they were !!! and I thank God everyday I joined when I did and was able to be a part of that fire service.

boca1day, PCFD ENG58 and redtruck75 like this

Those were the days

Gloves, We don't need no stinking gloves. If you were a wussy you had a pair of bright orange ones.

Coats were made of Cotton Duck with silver reflector stripes, Nomex was unheard of (still have that coat).

Riding the back step up 684 to the Katona Parade waiving to the people in cars. (The new guys were forced to ride in the hose bed.)

Those were the days

Long gone, about the middle of Stop and Shops' dairy aisle/ back room now. Pretty much every building you can see in these photos was torn down for the Waterfront complex. Went to school with Vinny and Kathy Yettito whose father owned Roto-Grip.

Pipe, great spot on Sid (RIP) Think I spot Zinger Gordiski and John Nielsen ....... Trying to pick out a few others, but the pictures pixelate on me, where the hell were you?

Ron, amazing photos keep them coming.

I was in school with Ricky and Kathy Yettito too. They were who I first thought of when I saw the Roto-Grip in the photo. I remember this fire well.

Could we have been in school together?

Jeff Webster