N1Medic

Peekskill Fire Protection Jeopardized By EMS?

44 posts in this topic

There is more personnel on a garbage truck,then the FD has on staff to handel all calls.

99subi likes this

Yes, Velcro is correct, I think. I recall the first 35 guys- the system paid for class and they did a tour or so a week for free to repay that cost. Many of them continued to volunteer even after the loan was paid off by working. I must say it is a GREAT system to work in- good trucks, good gear, great bosses, comfy stations and a forgiving call volume. Not at all sure about that advisary board, but it makes sense. Brand new system, first ALS in that area, everyone wants to have a say. Now years later, the system in kind of invisible. I was a Yorktown 34 medic when the 35 system started. I have a memory it was just a single medic truck.

That CON sounds iffy. I think Buchanon being in the TOC would be included in a TOC license. I believe my 35-11 boss is away on vacation. I will ask him this stuff and maybe even get him to read the thread. He was an early 35 guy, not sure one of the very first.

Getting back on track, I am pretty sure I have heard of cases where the 39 guys rushed back to get an engine for a fire call that occured on the heels of an EMS run, and vice versa. As we all know, both kinds of calls can be of a rather non-urgen nature and can be handled quickly to free up for more urgent matters. But sometimes not. Maybe a 39 guy will join the thread? Could also be they don't want to face any job static by commenting also.

Yes, Velcro is correct, I think. I recall the first 35 guys- the system paid for class and they did a tour or so a week for free to repay that cost. Many of them continued to volunteer even after the loan was paid off by working. I must say it is a GREAT system to work in- good trucks, good gear, great bosses, comfy stations and a forgiving call volume. Not at all sure about that advisary board, but it makes sense. Brand new system, first ALS in that area, everyone wants to have a say. Now years later, the system in kind of invisible. I was a Yorktown 34 medic when the 35 system started. I have a memory it was just a single medic truck.

That CON sounds iffy. I think Buchanon being in the TOC would be included in a TOC license. I believe my 35-11 boss is away on vacation. I will ask him this stuff and maybe even get him to read the thread. He was an early 35 guy, not sure one of the very first.

Getting back on track, I am pretty sure I have heard of cases where the 39 guys rushed back to get an engine for a fire call that occured on the heels of an EMS run, and vice versa. As we all know, both kinds of calls can be of a rather non-urgen nature and can be handled quickly to free up for more urgent matters. But sometimes not. Maybe a 39 guy will join the thread? Could also be they don't want to face any job static by commenting also.

As it was explained to me, the CON initially went with "Town of Cortlandt and City of Peekskill and all political subdivisions within the Town of Cortlandt" or something like that. That's when Croton balked because they were using Ossining for ALS. So it got changed to Cortlandt, Peekskill and Buchanan.

It probably could have been just Town of Cortlandt/City of Peekskill but Buchanan was spelled out too. Maybe because they had someone on the ALS advisory board. I remember seeing notices of the public hearing back then. Rosemary Boyle, Town Councilwoman, led that board working with McGurty, Lieberman, Filangeri to get the program up and running.

It was just a single medic truck initially but I believe they carried two sets of gear so they had the potential to cover second calls. They knew from the start that a single medic was going to be busy from geography to volume but that's what the politics and funding would allow at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if the folks involved don't want to comment. No good comes of it and there are a lot of EMTB haters out there who don't want anything discussed about their agency on here.

Pretty soon they will need to update that with "2014, got rid of the worst PCR software system EVER". (EMSCharts).

But as usual I digress. The origianal post was 'Peekskill Fire Protection Jeopardized by EMS".

I think jeapordized is a strong word. Maybe "compromised', 'weakened'. But I bet others would say, "Peekskill citizens get enhanced service for their FD dollar with the only FD in Westchester to perform ALS." I bet a look at the number of fires versus the number of lives saved by the fire medics would support the second one.

If COP fire protection is negatively affected by EMS, why then is not ALL fire protection done by FD's that commit ANY resources to EMS also negatively affected?

The answer is that it is part of the job of serving the public. It is like saying that responses to car fires endanger the protection of structures. When was the last time anyone "saved" a burning car?

You would think manpower wouldn't be a problem, the fire chiefs tout their number of active volunteers to be 110+ members. At least that's the numbers they tried to justify a massive new firehouse before the mayor trimmed it down. But it sounds like those numbers may be inflated a bit if Peekskill is relying on the career guys that much. That's pretty dangerous in a city as diverse as Peekskill. If there's a problem, the powers that be should address it. I guess it would make sense that the city apparently is looking to appoint a full time chief or commissioner.

dave0820 likes this

LT Hank thats the rumor where hearing to down here.110 volunteers where do you get that from?.i seen then at a parade and there was like 8 or 10

I am stepping outside my comfort zone, as I am not al all familiar with PFD ops. I don't think they send VFD members on EMS runs. I think it is the sole job of the paid staff. I never saw a volunteer FD member on an EMS run- other than an MVA. If so, than big or small volly numbers wouldn't make a difference.

LT Hank thats the rumor where hearing to down here.110 volunteers where do you get that from?.i seen then at a parade and there was like 8 or 10

That's what the fire chiefs claim that they have as active firefighters, whether that's accurate I don't know. But hearing that they only have 8 or 10 marching in a parade would lead me to believe there's less than 110, just sayin'!!

I am stepping outside my comfort zone, as I am not al all familiar with PFD ops. I don't think they send VFD members on EMS runs. I think it is the sole job of the paid staff. I never saw a volunteer FD member on an EMS run- other than an MVA. If so, than big or small volly numbers wouldn't make a difference.

my point is that a career guy or two less shouldn't be that much of a detriment, if there were a strong volunteer base. But if there isn't a strong contingent of vols, these guys need all the help they can get. As previously stated, with more staffing on a garbage truck than a fire truck, things in Peekskill do sound like a ticking time bomb!

so just saying The city can only guarantee the tax payers that only 3 to 5 guys will be at there call.Thats crazy.Is the city or tax payers a wear of this?Now i know why they keep saying a ticking time bomb But on the bright side of thins theirs no full garbage cans.

That's what the fire chiefs claim that they have as active firefighters, whether that's accurate I don't know. But hearing that they only have 8 or 10 marching in a parade would lead me to believe there's less than 110, just sayin'!!

my point is that a career guy or two less shouldn't be that much of a detriment, if there were a strong volunteer base. But if there isn't a strong contingent of vols, these guys need all the help they can get. As previously stated, with more staffing on a garbage truck than a fire truck, things in Peekskill do sound like a ticking time bomb!

The volley's can not and do not drive the apparatus in the COP so essentially with those 1 or 2 career men on ems runs the city is down two rigs. 110 vollies can show up but with no rigs what good are they?

sueg likes this

Just my TWO cents on this..... 35 years as a resident in the City of Peekskill.

Fire runs are down. EMS runs are up. The system is not perfect. Is any FD or EMS agency?

Before we bash an agency such as a Career, Vollie or Combo FD why don't we give a little credit?

Peekskill FD Career Firefighters are some of the best Paramedics/EMT's

in Westchester County. They have received numerous lifesaving awards,

It was not uncommon several years ago to wait for an Ambulance 10, 15, 20+ minutes.

No ALS. No BLS Engine/Rescue. Maybe a PPD Officer would respond with an EMS bag. PPD had a few EMT's.

Can "the system" be better? Perhaps. Is it a ticking time bomb? No

The Chiefs, Officers & Members of the PFD (Career and Volunteer) do the best they can

with the resources they have.

sueg likes this

Just my TWO cents on this..... 35 years as a resident in the City of Peekskill.

Fire runs are down. EMS runs are up. The system is not perfect. Is any FD or EMS agency?

Before we bash an agency such as a Career, Vollie or Combo FD why don't we give a little credit?

Peekskill FD Career Firefighters are some of the best Paramedics/EMT's

in Westchester County. They have received numerous lifesaving awards,

It was not uncommon several years ago to wait for an Ambulance 10, 15, 20+ minutes.

No ALS. No BLS Engine/Rescue. Maybe a PPD Officer would respond with an EMS bag. PPD had a few EMT's.

Can "the system" be better? Perhaps. Is it a ticking time bomb? No

The Chiefs, Officers & Members of the PFD (Career and Volunteer) do the best they can

with the resources they have.

This is like the problem with education. Let's give them credit for getting a 50% on the test. You still got 50% WRONG!

Peekskill is indeed not a ticking time bomb but let's stop throwing pats on the back around and ask the hard questions. Are they meeting the standrards (NFPA1720)? No? Then FIX it!!!

And Peekskill has had dedicated ALS since 1997 so it is far longer than several years and Peekskill VAC has been paying EMT's for years to help reduce the response times.

It's not about the Chiefs, Officers or members. It's about the patients and taxpayers.