Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

(Updated) Sleepy Hollow passes on decorated Marine for police force....again

39 posts in this topic

Sleepy Hollow board under criticism for passing on a decorated Marine veteran and village native who wanted to join the police force. Critics call it a political move. Board members are mum on the topic, calling it a "confidential" matter. What might be the reason?

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2014/08/08/marine-corps-sleepy-hollow-iraq-fallujah-police/13793047/

Dinosaur, I guess you are not a veteran! This man gave up 6 years of his life for his country and his home town. He does deserve more!

Is there a provision in the LAW that gives veteran's hiring preference? This is clearly just BS small town politics as usual.

I am all for giving jobs to veterans. All things being equal that would normally be my choice. However all things are not always equal and even with the veterans points that are often given on tests it is possible for a veteran to not come in #1. Then you add in the various political factors that we all know exist and I can see how this could happen. Now unless there is some legal issue with the hiring, I am not a big fan of people contesting when they did not get a job. Most such protests are not based on the merritt system but on some perceived wrong that may not even exist.

M' Ave likes this

Is there a provision in the LAW that gives veteran's hiring preference? This is clearly just BS small town politics as usual.

There should be! This guy was the perfect candidate for any department, and Sleepy Hollow should have been honored he chose them. In fact, he passed through the entire SHPD hiring process....yet two members of the board declined to actually complete the process, and are the same ones at odds with his sister, a Village Board member they are at odds with.

This isn't just "BS small town politics as usual", this is an ongoing pattern of corruption in Sleepy Hollow politics that rears it's head regularly.

boca1day and 99subi like this

Political B.S. Small town govt is embarrassing......

This is politics as usual in Sleepy Hollow. The village has a long history of doing the wrong thing.

The Police Chief and Lieutenant wanted him hired, the residents of the Village wanted him hired, the Mayor wanted him hired, yet the board remained defiant.

The village Board of Trustees on Tuesday refused to reconsider its controversial decision to deny a decorated Marine a job as a village cop — and rejected a new attempt to hire him.

With residents and veterans packing Village Hall in a push to hire retired Marine Corps Capt. Greg Lobato, the same four-member majority that denied him the job July 29 blocked a procedural move that would have allowed a new vote. It was a move that didn't sit well with critics, who contend the vote was a political shot at Lobato's sister, Republican Trustee Jennifer Lobato-Church.

But Lobato wanted to be a cop in his hometown. He was No. 1 on the local civil service list and 11th out of nearly 3,000 candidates countywide, and had written endorsements from Police Chief Greg Camp and his lieutenants. The village department is also short-staffed — Camp last night asked the board for additional help.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2014/08/12/sleepy-hollow-denies-marine-job/13981305/

Get over it!!!! What makes him so diff then anyone who works hard to get on the list? If he scored a 95 and got 5 points as a veteran credit is he more special then the kid who got no credits and scored a 98 or a 100???

Seriously get over it

Edited by efd184

Because they are ultimatley employees of the governmental body and not the police department. Their checks are issued by the town/village/city/state etc and signed by the general treasurer, not the police chief

The boards of many little communities are the final say in personnel matters. The chief may be able to recommend but the final say is the villages. Yes, that is pathetic!

Get over it!!!! What makes him so diff then anyone who works hard to get on the list? If he scored a 95 and got 5 points as a veteran credit is he more special then the kid who got no credits and scored a 98 or a 100???

Seriously get over it

What makes him "so diff" as you put it is that this does not appear to be a case of just not doing good enough in the testing process as he apparently was #1 on the list, selected by the Mayor, was endorsed by the Police Chief, supported by the community, but has a sister who is a board member that is not a political ally of the remainder of the board. Take the family relation out of the equation and unless the board is being mum about some sort of serious skeleton in his closet that nobody else appears to know about, this guy would've been unanimously approved.

This isn't the time to just "get over it", this is exactly the type of situation in which a lawsuit contesting the hiring process should be fired, unlike the numerous lawsuits filed on behalf of minorities that don't get hired claiming "racial discrimination" because they simply weren't prepared enough to score high enough on the tests to get hired.

x635, M' Ave, somebuffyguy and 4 others like this

This is important because this is political cronyism/corruption at the most local level. Granted there may be equally qualified candidates, but here is a qualified candidate with some extra bells and whistles going for him that is being denied purely for political, not practical, reasons.

Despite apparent overwhelming department and community support, the politicians refuse to deviate from their desired course. Politics must trump all. From a local town council to the Congress of the US, politics is destroying this Country.

SageVigiles, x635, fire2141 and 1 other like this

What makes him "so diff" as you put it is that this does not appear to be a case of just not doing good enough in the testing process as he apparently was #1 on the list, selected by the Mayor, was endorsed by the Police Chief, supported by the community, but has a sister who is a board member that is not a political ally of the remainder of the board. Take the family relation out of the equation and unless the board is being mum about some sort of serious skeleton in his closet that nobody else appears to know about, this guy would've been unanimously approved.

This isn't the time to just "get over it", this is exactly the type of situation in which a lawsuit contesting the hiring process should be fired, unlike the numerous lawsuits filed on behalf of minorities that don't get hired claiming "racial discrimination" because they simply weren't prepared enough to score high enough on the tests to get hired.

He has no case and would be wasting money. Civil service laws are clear if the hire one and interview 3 it can be anyone of them.

So yes time for him to look for something else to do.

Bottom of Da Hill and Dinosaur like this

Seriously get over it

Aside from the BS small town politics:

What makes him different is that, HE SERVED HIS COUNTRY IN THE MILITARY, SO YES HE IS MORE SPECIAL. It's sad that people like you, with ideas like this who want to enjoy all the freedoms we are afforded, and the status this country has in the world, but don't want to appreciate the men and women who ensure that freedom. The veterans credit isn't awarded arbitrarily, it's points that are deserved and rightly so. Get over yourself and start appreciating the sacrifices some have made so you can live the beautiful, easy, free from fear life that we all enjoy because of their efforts.

Aside from the BS small town politics:

What makes him different is that, HE SERVED HIS COUNTRY IN THE MILITARY, SO YES HE IS MORE SPECIAL. It's sad that people like you, with ideas like this who want to enjoy all the freedoms we are afforded, and the status this country has in the world, but don't want to appreciate the men and women who ensure that freedom. The veterans credit isn't awarded arbitrarily, it's points that are deserved and rightly so. Get over yourself and start appreciating the sacrifices some have made so you can live the beautiful, easy, free from fear life that we all enjoy because of their efforts.

No he is not he no more special then any other person who studies to get a good grade. He got the top grade with his veteran credits and that's it. What about the others who got the same grade without them? Are they not important??? Should they not get the chance for the same job? You must not have a great career like me or most here and know how hard the work is to get it or how long you have to wait so maybe you should get over yourself.

Domenick

Edited by efd184

Seriously get over it

To echo thebreeze above.....he IS different. He served this country in battle and deserves to be treated with special regard. Your response is cold, callus and devoid of reasonable consideration. This is a man who is as qualified as all and more so than most, it would appear. If the board has a reason, beyond cold-calculated political retribution, let them voice it.

There will certainly be a legal battle here, which the village will lose. They'll suffer shame and a waste of tax payer dollars to boot.

My score on future promotional exams will certainly be eclipsed by those with Vet. credits and they'll be promoted before me. This is good and right, they are more deserving than I because they gave in a way I never have.

SageVigiles, MPG1, 210 and 2 others like this

Guys, I agree that veterans are special and they have already made sacrifices for this country but he did receive veterans credit on the test and that helped him be ranked number 1 for Sleepy Hollow. Had it not been for those points, he may not have been in the top 3 and this would all be moot.

Like it or not, politics, personalities, and other subjective factors play into the hiring process. It is not merely an exam score. He's number 11 countywide which probably means he's received several canvas letters or will receive them before the next academy class.

There are no legal grounds for anything here. The law is pretty clear - hire one of the top 3 candidates - and it has been tested on numerous occasions so his attempt to sue would just be a waste of his money.

AFS1970 likes this

No he is not he no more special then any other person who studies to get a good grade. He got the top grade with his veteran credits and that's it. What about the others who got the same grade without them? Are they not important??? Should they not get the chance for the same job? You must not have a great career like me or most here and know how hard the work is to get it or how long you have to wait so maybe you should get over yourself.

Domenick

First, I work on the greatest job on earth, I'm blessed more than I could possibly imagine, my career is not the issue but thanks for talking out of your behind again. I will reiterate, yes he is more important than them, because while they, and you, and I, were home here enjoying freedom, he was overseas fighting for it. I worked my balls off to get my job, but I never begrudged a single person who went before me because they sacrificed their time and safety to fight for mine, and as I go forward I will applaud those who jump over me on promotion lists because of their veterans points. They DESERVE it, in fact they deserve more than this country currently gives them. The veterans points is a mere drop in a bucket for what they actually deserve. I'm over myself, I appreciate the value of others service above myself, whereas apparently you lack the ability to understand that you might not be the most deserving of something, guess you got jumped by a few vets at some point. Maybe you should have studied harder, been smarter, or served in the military and you wouldn't be so bitter.

Matt

He has no case and would be wasting money. Civil service laws are clear if the hire one and interview 3 it can be anyone of them.

So yes time for him to look for something else to do.

Anyone think maybe there is a reason other then the politics that he didn't get the job??? Maybe a bad interview?

I don't think you are fully comprehending what the situation appears to be.

I can't speak to the specific civil service laws involved in this situation, but yes, typically they allow for the selection of one of the top 3 candidates on the established civil service eligibility list. In smaller communities, that selection is typically made by the Mayor or City Manager type position depending on the political structure in place. I get the impression that their system is set up in a fashion that the board votes to confirm the Mayor's selection.

In this situation, it appears that this person was #1 on the eligibility list and WAS selected from among those 3 top candidates. He was NOT simply passed over for selection in favor of one of the other two top candidates. Civil Service testing is typically conducted by a Civil Service Commission which typically does not include local government officials such as Mayors and City Council/Board members. As such, they would not know if he had a "bad interview" unless they somehow "score" the interviews, but if they score the interviews, then it really isn't an interview, it's an oral test.

Since it appears that the board votes to approve the Mayor's selections from the Civil Service list, the board's involvement in the hiring process may actually take place beyond the confines of the Civil Service system. If that's the case, then this certainly wouldn't be a matter of being passed over in the pick one of the top 3 phase, but rather a deliberate decision to deny employment and he would have a pretty good case.

The enactment of Civil Service laws were a direct result of this kind of government misconduct in the hiring process. The reason they didn't approve his selection is so blatantly obvious, that even a blind person could see it.

Seriously get over it

Cold.

M' Ave likes this

First, I work on the greatest job on earth, I'm blessed more than I could possibly imagine, my career is not the issue but thanks for talking out of your behind again. I will reiterate, yes he is more important than them, because while they, and you, and I, were home here enjoying freedom, he was overseas fighting for it. I worked my balls off to get my job, but I never begrudged a single person who went before me because they sacrificed their time and safety to fight for mine, and as I go forward I will applaud those who jump over me on promotion lists because of their veterans points. They DESERVE it, in fact they deserve more than this country currently gives them. The veterans points is a mere drop in a bucket for what they actually deserve. I'm over myself, I appreciate the value of others service above myself, whereas apparently you lack the ability to understand that you might not be the most deserving of something, guess you got jumped by a few vets at some point. Maybe you should have studied harder, been smarter, or served in the military and you wouldn't be so bitter.

Matt

Not bitter at all just pointing out he got his points for being a vet. His choice was to serve. That does not mean he is gets first crack at everything. The rules are he gets points and that's what got him were he is on the list. Does that mean he had to get the job! NO!!!! The rules are the rules and everyone has to follow them and that's it. Do you think the other guys on the list are crying about not getting the job? Maybe the sanitation guy in the village really did well does he not deserve it? Or the county specials who look for a career in the pd and scores well do they not deserve ? Why are they not special?? There is a lot more to this story I'm sure but in the end there is nothing he, you and anyone else can do about it. If your so concerned march right down and have a talk with the mayor and put you money were your mouth is and see how fast your laughed at. Then you can post the video on here as they laugh you out the door!

And btw if he was going for a job on Wall Street and said " I'm a vet I deserve a job" they would laugh.

Serving your country is for self gratification just as being a vol fighter. You don't do it for the rewards but more the wanting to help. It's does not garuntee you get anything. Had he been a mail clerk in Germany for 2 years in the army would you all be up in arms about this? I think not.

Edited by efd184

Serving your country is for self gratification just as being a vol fighter. You don't do it for the rewards but more the wanting to help. It's does not garuntee you get anything. Had he been a mail clerk in Germany for 2 years in the army would you all be up in arms about this? I think not.

He never flaunted his veteran status to get his job. As for the "self gratification", it's because of people like him during the entire course of our history in this country that we have the freedoms we do. We should be obliged to make sure our soldiers are well taken care of. Plus, the Police Chief, Mayor, and many taxpayers want him to serve in Sleepy Hollow.

As for being a "mail clerk in Germany, he is a decorated veteran. He worked on Wall Street to earn income, and waited for an opening in Sleepy Hollow while on the Civil Service list. He was canvassed by many departments, but went through the entire process with Sleepy Hollow and the final stamp they needed was from the village trustees, who never have taken this kind of action before.

Let's also not forget, although he is 35 he spent several years committed to the military, so during that time served he wasn't able to take the Civil Service test nor accept any officers due to his commitment.

A village native, Lobato commanded a military police platoon in Iraq, including during nearly nine months of heavy fighting in Fallujah. He earned the Marine Corps Commendation Medal with a Combat "V" device and the commendatory ribbon for actions during hostile engagements with the enemy.

He returned to school and earned a master's of business administration degree from the City University of New York in 2010, and landed a job on Wall Street.

AFS1970 likes this

He never flaunted his veteran status to get his job. As for the "self gratification", it's because of people like him during the entire course of our history in this country that we have the freedoms we do. We should be obliged to make sure our soldiers are well taken care of. Plus, the Police Chief, Mayor, and many taxpayers want him to serve in Sleepy Hollow.

As for being a "mail clerk in Germany, he is a decorated veteran. He worked on Wall Street to earn income, and waited for an opening in Sleepy Hollow while on the Civil Service list. He was canvassed by many departments, but went through the entire process with Sleepy Hollow and the final stamp they needed was from the village trustees, who never have taken this kind of action before.

Let's also not forget, although he is 35 he spent several years committed to the military, so during that time served he wasn't able to take the Civil Service test nor accept any officers due to his commitment.

And it was his choice to make the commitment and he got 5 points for it! The point I'making is what about everyone else????? They chose different paths and should not be skipped because of him when they may have the same or better grade.

Dinosaur likes this

This is an actual combat veteran. Unless you see combat overseas, you don't get the credit, or that's at least how I understand it.

The following says a lot:

Lobato served in the Marine Corps for six years. As a lieutenant in Iraq, he led a military police platoon, including for nearly nine months in Fallujah. He received the Marine Corps Commendation Medal with a Combat “V” device for valorous acts in the face of the enemy and the ribbon for commendatory actions during hostile engagements. He was promoted to the rank of captain when he returned from the Middle East.

nydude2473 likes this

And it was his choice to make the commitment and he got 5 points for it! The point I'making is what about everyone else????? They chose different paths and should not be skipped because of him when they may have the same or better grade.

What are you talking about!? This isn't an issue of 5 points! This is an issue of denying someone a job without cause. This ALSO isn't about anyone else. This is a guy who had every endorsement from the mayor to the police chief and down to the citizens of the village. The outward appearance here is that he was denied because of petty political infighting. The veteran aspect helps draw positive attention to this issue, positive for the candidate and I'm glad he's using it to his advantage.

Could there be a valid reason for passing this guy over, legally? Sure could. If there is, then why don't these 4 trustees just come out and say it. From the outside looking in, the silence is awful telling.

Lastly, on a personal note....your comments thus far are quite telling of your character. Degradation of the commitments of those who serve in the military is disgusting. Self gratification? I work with guys who have multiple purple hearts....and the scars to prove it. Come on over and tell them about their self importance and see how long you stay standing on your two feet. Standing in the line of fire, taking bullets and shrapnel and living with the fear of death everyday seems like an awful lot to do for 5 measly points on some civil service test. Although....in your eyes, they don't deserve special recognition. Well, keep enjoying football Sunday and holiday's with your family....don't worry, no one had to sacrifice for you to have those comforts.

Veterans working on Wall Street....guess what? You put military service on an application for ANY job and you get a leg up....deservedly so.

Love how you threw a jab at Volly's in there too. That is a SYSTEM with some problems, but filled with a majority a well intention'd people.

Enjoy your comforts, paycheck and straight 8's in Eastchester.

Love,

The U.S. Armed Forces

This is an actual combat veteran. Unless you see combat overseas, you don't get the credit, or that's at least how I understand it.

The following says a lot:

Vet credits are actually given to anyone who serves in any capacity. Obviously, there is a differentiation of an additional 5 points for those who are combat wounded.

sueg, DR104, somebuffyguy and 4 others like this