Stepjam

Yonkers "Supertrain," early '80's

24 posts in this topic

Nice kitbash Stepjam. That's going to look awesome when you have it completed. Post more photos as you progress. I have an extensive diecast fire truck collection and have done some minor kitbashing. I look forward to seeing more posts like this.

x635 likes this

Outstanding job, so far, Stepjam !!! Taking on Kitbashing Yonkers Tiller Ladder 73 is certainly one of your more challenging efforts indeed (For those who may not remember, ALF delivered identical rigs to Yonkers as Ladder 71, 73, and 74). A red repainted version of this rig ended up as Ladder 70, before being put out to pasture.

Would love to see you Kitbash the Old Yonkers FD Mack B Rescue Truck !!!

Keep posting those updated photos on this project and keep up the great work !

x635 likes this

Started the trailer modifications. VERY difficult disassembly, and I still haven't figured out how to detach the ladder and turntable.

Once I stripped it down to the base plate, I used a Dremel to grind it back about 1/16" on each side so that the new side panels for the compartments will be flush with the existing fenders.

Next, I measured for the length of the high side compartments, leaving a space behind the front fender, which is where the rear hydraulic outriggers wold retract into, did some arithmetic, and marked out the panels. I used .02 ABS sheet for a base layer, and .01 ABS on top of that for the panel doors. Then I ran a strip of DP between the uppers and lowers. Each compartment was a separate unit on the actual truck, so I scribed a deep line between each section. Later, after it's painted, I will use a black wash to highlight the low spots.

post-1415-0-30303000-1408206004.jpg

post-1415-0-00909800-1408206015.jpg

post-1415-0-23214000-1408206022.jpg

post-1415-0-82179600-1408206031.jpg

post-1415-0-62809100-1408206040.jpg

JP59, sfrd18, boca1day and 1 other like this

This looks like a cool project. Any pictures of the original floating around? It seems like a unique rig.

x635 likes this

Thanks for the update Stepjam. That's a lot of work on the trailer but the finished product will be worth it. Keep the updates coming.

x635 likes this

I know its a small picture but I believe this is the Supertrain on the lower left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PostSt.JPG

Pagers, x635 and sueg like this

There are quite a few pictures of to real 70, 73, and 74 tillers in the "Protection from the past" section; most taken by JJPinto.

x635 likes this

Glad to see your kitbashes back on here Steve! Can't wait to see more in progress photos! You have an impressive talent.

What is the story behind the "Supertrain" name?

I know its a small picture but I believe this is the Supertrain on the lower left. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PostSt.JPG

It's the yellow one on the right. L-73.

sfrd18 and sueg like this

I had to start the cabinets all over again. The completed assembly was too short. This time, I used .005 styrene overlaid on .02 ABS, then sanded it out. I want this rig to look "beat up" rather than factory fresh, and I remember the real one was practically falling apart by the time it was retired. It, and its two sisters, were worked very hard during a time when Yonkers was broke.

Anyway, I made a lot of headway on the trailer. The tillermans's gondola needs some work, these rigs had open ground ladder cribs rather than the continuous deck on the Code 3 version.

post-1415-0-98623800-1409517904.jpg

x635, sfrd18 and FDNY 10-75 like this

Coming together nicely, Steve! In your estimate, how many hours have you put in and expect to put in building this?

Every now and then, I can snatch an hour or two to work on something. Other times, if I have no distractions. I might spend the better part of a day. I don't think 200 hours would be an unrealistic estimate.

Edited by Stepjam
x635 likes this

Looks great - bit of trivia = that front compartment closest to the turntable was originally mounted over the rear wheel of the trailer - the tiller drivers said it interfered with their line of site when turning - so the shop unbolted them and moved them forward - thats why it kind of looks out of place - because it is! lol

Stepjam, Bnechis, x635 and 1 other like this

This looks like a cool project. Any pictures of the original floating around? It seems like a unique rig.

post-182-0-31566000-1409666178.jpg

There it is, in all of its early history glory. STEPJAM - are you going to add the "Bubble Windows" to the Tiller Driver Area on your model? Also, are you going to have both the single top of cab Red Flasher along with the Bullet Style Siren/Red Flasher on the Driver Side Front Bumper, as part of your model as well?

There it is, in all of its early history glory. STEPJAM - are you going to add the "Bubble Windows" to the Tiller Driver Area on your model? Also, are you going to have both the single top of cab Red Flasher along with the Bullet Style Siren/Red Flasher on the Driver Side Front Bumper, as part of your model as well?

Yes to all....as far as I humanly can. I still haven't solved the windshield problem; I made a lot of expensive attempts at vacuum forming a new one, but they weren't successful. I will probably have to hand cut one in Lexan from a tracing I make from the cab.

I'm less worried about the bubble windows on the gondola. For those, I'll use PTFE (soda bottle) and heat it up, then push it through a square opening cut in a piece of balsa. This is the most challenging one I've built yet, but I need to build it.

Glad to see your kitbashes back on here Steve! Can't wait to see more in progress photos! You have an impressive talent.

What is the story behind the "Supertrain" name?

Where did the "Supertrain" moniker come from?

Where did the "Supertrain" moniker come from?

Maybe one of the older guys who worked at YFD Station 13 (Ladder 73, Engine 313 and the Foam Unit) can answer this one (because Ladder 71 and 74 both had "Sister Units" to Ladder 73 (1979 ALF Century Tillers), and neither 71 or 74 were named, but 73 had the monitor "Supertrain" embossed on its nose)