(On Order) Ardsley FD New Engine 164

11 posts in this topic

State: New York
County: Westchester
City/Town/Municipality/Dept: Village Of Ardsley FD
Unit designation/identifier: Engine 164

Expected Delivery: 2015

Replaces: 1992 Spartan Gladiator/Beck

Chassis & Body Manufacturer and model: Spartan Gladiator/Spartan ERV with 1750GPM pump, 750 gallon booster tank, and 30 gallon foam tank

Updates:

9/2014: Purchase approved by Village.

Edited by x635
Updated
Bottom of Da Hill likes this

And the official announcement in the Ardsley Village Manager's email blast. Hendrickson is the dealer for Spartan ERV (AKA Crimson):

The Village Board awarded a $709,821 bid to Hendrickson Fire Rescue of Islandia, Long Island, for the purchase and delivery of a 1750 GPM (Gallons Per Minute) Rescue Pumper. According to Fire Chief Kaskawits, the new fire truck is expected to be manufactured and arrive in about 350 days. The fire truck will be financed by a future serial bond a portion of whose debt service will be reimbursed through the contracts with the Town of Greenburgh for the South Ardsley and Chauncey Fire Protection Districts

DID I READ THAT CORRECT $709,821 FOR A RESCUE PUMPER?

You did. And this price seems to be the norm now for Rescue-Pumpers. Just imagine if it was on a Seagrave or Pierce chassis, I would wager to bet it would be closer to $800,000.

Good luck AFD.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

You did. And this price seems to be the norm now for Rescue-Pumpers. Just imagine if it was on a Seagrave or Pierce chassis, I would wager to bet it would be closer to $800,000.

Good luck AFD.

I am very confused. A rescue wagon is a pumper with bigger compartments. The craftsmanship to create the compartments is not worth $250k right? So this thing is going to come fully loaded, leafed, and ready to put in service... Right? No spending a few weeks at the dealer to add more equipment... right? Day one it should be able to respond to a WSF or MVA and work minus a brief training period.

DSC_9360_zpsb011705c.jpg
While this isn't a rescue pumper, the difference shouldn't be so dramatic. Tools and all this was 347k from the same manufacturer, it's not fancy but it certainly gets the job done.

x635, BFD1054, Newburgher and 1 other like this

That Albany Engine is really nice. It's going to see a lot of work in Albany....how many years do they get out of it?

Is it true that there was only one bidder on Ardsley's engine? How can you know you're getting the best price with only one bidder?

This new engine is replacing one that will be 23 years old when replaced, and still has a high resale value.

The current market asking price (not selling price) for that model year is $12,000 - $40,000.

With the current price at $709,000 I am not sure I'd consider that a "High" resale value.

Trucks are getting expensive. The price seems about right for a rescue pumper with some equipment. Does it have a light tower? and what about a big block engine that I know adds a lot also?