Flashpoint

Town Of Ossining In Contract Negotiations With Village For Police Force

42 posts in this topic

Thereby eating up the savings of the contract difference, so there will be no savings. VOPD said they will only hire 5 officers. Sorry, in the end, there will be no savings, and they will not get the same level of service.

Why not the same level of service? I bet it will be better VOPD is probably better versed in handling the patrolling of the town. They can handle whatever comes as they have shown in the past. If special services are need the county pd can be called on as the town residents continue to pay county taxes. In my opinion they get the best of both worlds.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

The Village of Ossining Police Department is well equipped to handle anything the Town of Ossining needs. The officers of the Village PD are recognized by almost everyone in the Ossining School District area and have conducted nearly all of the Police work in the school system...ie....Dare etc. They are very well respected by all! As far as being able to cover the Town with the addition of a few officers it would be much quicker for additional officers and equipment to respond from the Village than waiting for extra officers to come from all parts of the county. Have no fear the officers who were Town who went with the County can find plenty of work with the County at the airport at least to save some overtime for the County. This plan is a HOME RUN!

Thereby eating up the savings of the contract difference, so there will be no savings. VOPD said they will only hire 5 officers. Sorry, in the end, there will be no savings, and they will not get the same level of service.

Is it the position of WCPD that they will no longer provide the resources that are available to all municipalities in the County? Such as K9, Aviation, CST, SWAT, manpower during large scale events, etc., etc.?

It is the position of WCPD that they will no longer provide the resources that are available to all municipalities in the County? Such as K9, Aviation, CST, SWAT, manpower during large scale events, etc., etc.?

Are you asking if that is their position, or stating that is their position?

It is the position of WCPD that they will no longer provide the resources that are available to all municipalities in the County? Such as K9, Aviation, CST, SWAT, manpower during large scale events, etc., etc.?

I believe this is a false statement. These specialized services are available to any dept in the County that requests it.

Are you asking if that is their position, or stating that is their position?

Asking. Should have read "Is it...?"

I believe this is a false statement. These specialized services are available to any dept in the County that requests it.

I agree. I hope it is false. My question was basically, will WCPD penalize Village of Ossining PD for this decision? Due to the reference of the Town no longer getting the same level of service, as mentioned in the quote below.

Sorry, in the end, there will be no savings, and they will not get the same level of service.

I agree. I hope it is false. My question was basically, will WCPD penalize Village of Ossining PD for this decision? Due to the reference of the Town no longer getting the same level of service, as mentioned in the quote below.

How can they penalize ossining? Ossining residents are Westchester county tax payers who pay for WCPD services. If it were not for specialized services and 3 state owned parkways the WCPD would not need to exist.

Why not the same level of service? I bet it will be better VOPD is probably better versed in handling the patrolling of the town. They can handle whatever comes as they have shown in the past. If special services are need the county pd can be called on as the town residents continue to pay county taxes. In my opinion they get the best of both worlds.

Simple. Hire 5 guys to patrol 24/7??? If VOPD has that many guys to spare TOPD then they are overstaffed. They will be taking away manpower from VOPD, sure the residents would love that. Come on here, this is simple math. it takes more guys to cover a Town 24/7 than 5, without taking resources from another, and/or adding overtime.

Is it the position of WCPD that they will no longer provide the resources that are available to all municipalities in the County? Such as K9, Aviation, CST, SWAT, manpower during large scale events, etc., etc.?

Not sure what the position is, I doubt the above, but, you can not cover a Town 24/7 hiring 5 guys. They said they will cover the uncovered by paying overtime. Sure, they save over 4 years, but that savings will be gone after all the overtime.

As for the level of service, I am referring to manpower, not equipment, special services, etc....

The Town can so whatever it thinks is best for the Town, but, somebodies math is incorrect. If that's how they want to sell it,well, so be it. None of this affects me either way, FYI.....

How can they penalize ossining? Ossining residents are Westchester county tax payers who pay for WCPD services. If it were not for specialized services and 3 state owned parkways the WCPD would not need to exist.

Its actually the other way around. NYS mandates Counties to maintain a Sheriff's Office which Westchester does through the Police Department. Cities are also required to maintain Police. Town's and Villages are not.