Flashpoint

WCDES Declines Yonkers Request For Medical Evacuation Bus during MCI

34 posts in this topic

Anyone know why Westchester County DES declined Yonkers request for their Medical Evacuation Bus unit for response to their noxious odor MCI at Yonkers Middle School with over 100 patients needing treatment and transport from the scene?

The bus is only for hospital evacuations, not for MCI scene to hospital transport. At least that's what I'm told.

The bus is only for hospital evacuations, not for MCI scene to hospital transport. At least that's what I'm told.

Because, there are just so many of those........

Bottom of Da Hill and Ladder44 like this

Wow........Thats jacked up who would have ever thought.

Wonder if Westchester County office building had the same thing if they would be denied

Dinosaur likes this

Could it be its not in-service as of yet?

Last reports was it would be in-service soon

Generally, if it's not in service then it cannot respond. Barry, do you know when (or have you heard a timeframe of) it goes into service?

This, IMO, seems a bit silly. I always thought the point of a MERV was to assist at MCI calls and aid in the transport process. Does anyone have a good description of what the Medical Evacuation Bus is intended for? I can't seem to find any information about it on the County's website.

SageVigiles and amr6334 like this

Based solely on media (we know how that goes) sounds like SCHOOL buses would be fine for this case. Since we are not talking about elderly or othewise compromised folks.

Even better, a TAXI to bring a doc and two nurses and a registrar with a laptop to the school, out of the hot/warm zone. Treat and release in place.

"From 2013 WCDES Annual Report DES took part in a regional initiative as a member of the NYC UASI and purchased a Medical Evacuation Transportation Unit (METU) bus, along with our regional partners in New York City, Yonkers and the counties of Nassau and Suffolk. These vehicles were procured with federal grant funds and will be made available to urban area members when needed in an emergency."

amr6334 and Dinosaur like this

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's just going to sit and rot in the garage if it doesn't get used for unique situations and I believe having to transport 150 people qualifies as pretty unique.

Does this mean that a resource we all paid for will sit idly by in the event of a MNRR or plane crash while we strip ambulances from all over the region? And while Yonkers sends the same resource mind you.

It is a great point that regular buses would have worked as well but in the absence of that, these vehicles were designed and bought (again with our $$$$) for these kinds of missions.

I also like the idea of sending hospital folks to the scene but I don't know if they're equipped for that or how DOH regulations apply to field responses by a hospital. Makes for a really interesting discussion though!

amr6334 likes this

A bigger question is why are 150 children being transported to a hospital for no medical reason?

I spoke with one of the ER directors this evening and he said they did not treat 1 of these children because none had been exposed to anything. But he did say that the care for actual patients in the ER was significantly delayed because resources had to be diverted.

Some one referred to the bus as a MERV, it is not, unlike the Yonkers unit the Westchester unit has not equipment, it along with the other counties did not set these busses up for MCI's. They were set up like giant ambulet to move stretcher and wheelchair persons.

I am guessing they were minors and at the scene complained of something or said yes when asked. Cya they go unless a guardian come to sign

AFS1970 likes this

I know I live all the way here in Ohio but wouldnt it be part of a combined NY State EMS Task Force .....Please dont kill the unknowing one. Here's the other part. Lets say train accident (yes folks those do happen) in say Dobbs Ferry wouldnt the Yonkers MERV and / or Westchester County MERV go. One could say that Yonkers has there own and needs to "protect there citizens". And then you have the Westchester MERV couldnt go well are you gonna strip ambulances all the way from Yonkers (Empress), Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Ossining etc.

Oh im sorry I accidentally called it a MERV. So if it is not then what could it be used for

I am guessing they were minors and at the scene complained of something or said yes when asked. Cya they go unless a guardian come to sign

School nurses can sign RMAs in bus accidents as they are acting in loco parentis. Why not in this scene?

amr6334 likes this

I know I live all the way here in Ohio but wouldnt it be part of a combined NY State EMS Task Force .....Please dont kill the unknowing one. Here's the other part. Lets say train accident (yes folks those do happen) in say Dobbs Ferry wouldnt the Yonkers MERV and / or Westchester County MERV go. One could say that Yonkers has there own and needs to "protect there citizens". And then you have the Westchester MERV couldnt go well are you gonna strip ambulances all the way from Yonkers (Empress), Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Ossining etc.

NY State EMS Task Force takes hours to deploy. Its designed for a regional disaster (requiring coverage), not an MCI (requiring a response)

Westchester does not own a MERV

Yonkers has agreed to provide its MERV to the region, as required by the grant that paid for it.

School nurses can sign RMAs in bus accidents as they are acting in loco parentis. Why not in this scene?

Many school districts do not allow this. I do not know what Yonkers policy is

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

Neither one is a MERV. They are both METU's (Medical Evacuation Transport Unit)

The same UASI grant was used to purchase both.

MrRoboto likes this

The first question to ask is who is responsible for staffing it and responding with it? Who is in charge of the regular maintenance and who is trained to use it?

410 and Jybehofd like this

Neither one is a MERV. They are both METU's (Medical Evacuation Transport Unit)

The same UASI grant was used to purchase both.

Technically that is correct, except Yonkers upgraded there's to be equipped very similar to the FDNY*EMS MERV's.

Same reason I wouldn't want to call County Tech Rescue Team. Nice trucks for a parade can't get out the door when volunteers are coming from all directions in the county. My first call is NR, YO, WP. (In no particular order) for jobs a small town can't handle. County MERV or METU whatever it is, is no different. Not volly bashing and I'm no career guy either but how long are you going to wait? Look no more then a Rye incident a few months back. Not Monday morning QB, just based on time reaponse posted and listening. You can't depend on people having to come from 15-20 min assemble a crew and then respond 20min away. That's 40-45 min. Maybe the MERV will stil be needed that long into operation. Most likely but just insane.

jd783, mmwolf65, MrRoboto and 3 others like this

Seems to be a lot of unanswered questions...isn't there a published protocol on the use of this unit available to Incident Commanders? Does WCDES publish protocols for these special units?

Also, I found an article from LoHud.com:

Your Tax Dollars at Work: When storm hits, catch Westchester's $400G bus

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2014/04/25/tax-dollars-work-g-medevac-bus/8146841/

Disaster_Guy likes this

Can you say "CONSOLIDATED COUNTYWIDE FIRE and EMS SERVICES" ? (and get rid of that ridiculous HOME RULE that is in place within New York State)

KFIYL2000 likes this

To clarify. The County did not refuse to dispatch the METU. I requested it and was advised through the proper dispatch procedure that the vehicle was not yet placed in service and that it was not available. This is no different than any other fire apparatus or ambulance. The County did coordinate the dispatch of two Bee Line buses in its place. Many of you need to climb out of your glass house and visit the real world. Stop posting and spreading rumors before knowing the facts.

To clarify. The County did not refuse to dispatch the METU. I requested it and was advised through the proper dispatch procedure that the vehicle was not yet placed in service and that it was not available. This is no different than any other fire apparatus or ambulance. The County did coordinate the dispatch of two Bee Line buses in its place. Many of you need to climb out of your glass house and visit the real world. Stop posting and spreading rumors before knowing the facts.

Thanks for the info. But please note I said declined and not refused in my initial post though. Good to know the unit is available for scene response and not just for very rare situations.

However, what's taking so long to place it into service and when will it be placed into service? And who staffs it?

Lieut2 likes this

Thanks for the info. But please note I said declined and not refused in my initial post though. Good to know the unit is available for scene response and not just for very rare situations.

However, what's taking so long to place it into service and when will it be placed into service? And who staffs it?

Prior to be placed in service people need to be properly trained in its function and operation. This has been taking place. As to when it will be in service I would imagine soon given the number of recent training sessions.

It will be operated by WCDES staff.

x635 likes this

County to issue new safety helmets! Just a joke . Will someone get the proper info before screaming the sky is falling. From experts claiming consolidation is the answer to all the problems to speculation by hysterical buffs and the status of a piece of equipment.

post-64-0-89786400-1413126874.jpg

IMO, If it was not in service yet that is understandable.

If it was in service and needed for an emergency to assist another agency it should have been sent no question.

We need to maintain positive relationships between agencies. If nothing less send it as a professional courtesy.

I believe the issue for WCDES is that there is no accomodation in the vehicle to TREAT patients. That is why it does not respond to MCI as a general policy. In theory, it is designed for hospital patients being evacuated that are non-ambulatory but stable with no treatment (except maybe hanging an existing IV bag). Someone mentioned a school bus which, as we all know, is fine for ambulatory patients not requiring treatment. Is the vehicle a poor excuse for spending Federal UASI money on something that could have had more usefulness? That's answer is above my pay grade!!

RANDY45 likes this

Thanks for the clarification and real information.

It does seem that the county would have been better served by not having the big article with photos and information about the vehicle appear if it is not yet in service. Perhaps that could have waited the few months necessary to make it an available resource before promoting it and having incidents like this arise.

And, if it won't be used for a response to the airport or railroad for a major incident, it is a waste of our money. There are plenty of non-ambulatory types at those incidents as well.

amr6334 likes this