x635

Stamford (CT) Fire Rescue Entry Level Firefighter Recruitment (Closing December 5th 2014)

100 posts in this topic

We invite you to become part of a dynamic team! The City of Stamford is accepting applications for entry level firefighters.

To be considered, please submit a completed City of Stamford “Application for Examination or Employment,” by the closing date of December 5, 2014 as well as any additional documentation requested in the recruitment packet and/or job announcement.

More information and application: http://www.stamfordfire.com/2014/10/17/were-testing-entry-level-firefighter-recruitment/#sthash.BPbjtkSd.dpuf

BFD1054 likes this

For all of you who do not have your CPAT yet. Applications are due by December 5th 2014 and you either need your CPAT or to show proof that you registered. The kicker is that you cannot register yet. They are going to try to list it sometime around Thanskgiving, so your window to get your application in will be about a week. I spoke to Stamford Human Resources and the people at the Connecticut CPAT office. Hope that helps someone.

BFD1054, nydude2473 and x635 like this

Last time I took the test it took 3 years almost for results to come out. Plus its kinda obvious they only want Stamford Residents.

Last time I took the test it took 3 years almost for results to come out. Plus its kinda obvious they only want Stamford Residents.

Yet, the people that have been hired off the last list have mostly come from communities other than Stamford.....

FFSiano likes this

So its worth it for non residents to apply? It clearly gives extra point to residents and vollies of their.

Also does anyone know the schedule that they work, thanks

Stamford works a 24/72 schedule. If you want the job, take the test. As stated earlier, a large number of hires off the last list were not Stamford residents.

I just checked the cpat site, it says the fall session is closed, does that mean the January one will be eligible for the exam?

Edited by spyda308

I just checked the cpat site, it says the fall session is closed, does that mean the January one will be eligible for the exam?

third bullet point on application addresses your question.

SageVigiles likes this

FYI the spring CT cpat application period is open per the fire academy's website.

The Stamford Fire Department will be hosting an Open House for anybody considering taking the upcoming Stamford Firefighter test.

Saturday, November 29th, 2014, 10am to 3pm

Stamford Central Fire Station

629 Main Street

Stamford, CT

The last date to submit an application to the City of Stamford Department of Human Resources is December 5th. The Open House is geared towards anybody CONSIDERING taking the test, but wants to learn more about the job first. It will be an opportunity for men and women, age 18 or greater, to learn about the job, ask questions, receive answers and try some of the skills involved in being a Stamford Firefighter. So if you are not sure Firefighting is for you, come visit us. We may be able to provide you with the information you need to help make your decision. Time to submit your application is running out, so don’t delay!

Recruitment-Photo.jpg

If you have friends or family that are thinking about taking the test, but want to learn more before they submit an application, be sure to invite them. Light refreshments will be provided.

Please note: This is NOT a test study group.

Captain Philip Hayes

phayes@ci.stamford.ct.us

See more at: http://www.stamfordfire.com/2014/11/21/sfd-open-house-for-prospective-firefighter-test-applicants/#sthash.X3AEw7RI.dpuf

From: http://www.stamfordfire.com/2014/11/21/sfd-open-house-for-prospective-firefighter-test-applicants/#sthash.X3AEw7RI.dpuf

Does anybody know how many they are looking to hire? Also does anyone recommend any good study material? Thanks

Does anybody know how many they are looking to hire? Also does anyone recommend any good study material? Thanks

FIREFIGHTER EXAM AND INTERVIEW PREP

SCORE HIGHER WITH LARUS INSTITUTE

Norwalk Fire Department Headquarters, December 13 & 14, 2014

• Field tested, score-improving test-taking strategies. How to ace the test.

• Reading and math strategies that will save you time and improve your score.

• Clear, step-by-step explanations that help you master each part of the test and practice questions to strengthen the skills you learn.

• Preparation for each step of the application process. Expert advice about how to prepare for the interview, including practice sessions.

• What to expect in the career fire service, and requirements to be a firefighter.

• Helpful resources.

• Why seek advice from someone who doesn't have the hands-on public safety and exam prep experience, when you can turn to the guys who literally wrote the book on obtaining a fire service career position?

• The most complete course you can find.

Testimonials

"Incredibly helpful – I receive lots of information from this class."

"[i liked] the useful strategies and tips on how to answer questions a lot faster without spending a whole lot of time [reading every word]."

"This class was pivotal for me in breaking down questions on the tests. It was crucial for me because I am not a good test taker."

"The instructors kept everything real. It was straight-forward from day one."

"They individualized the course to each student."

"They helped me better understand what the interview panel will be looking for and what it does not want to hear."

WHEN: December 13 & 14, 2014.

WHERE: Norwalk Fire Department Headquarters, 121 Connecticut Avenue, Norwalk.

CLASS TIME: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. Doors open at 8:00 AM for check-in.

COST: $195.00 (cash, check, or credit card, payable at check-in). Tuition includes the textbook, which is about to come out in print.

FOR INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER, CONTACT BILL PELTZ (203/ 858-0230 WPELTZ@PUBLICSAFETYPREP.COM).

** Please DO NOT contact the Norwalk Fire Department. **

Deputy Chief Mark Amatrudo has 40 years experience in the fire service and, as president of Shoreline Associates, is a renowned interview coach. Bill Peltz worked for over 40 years in education and is an expert in teaching test-taking strategies. In 2014, they partnered to create Larus Institute Public Safety Candidate Prep. Their course, Firefighter Exam and Interview Prep, is the only one of its kind in the Northeast.

I'm not sure we're down more then a position or two right now. We've also been with out a contract for a bit and it doesn't seem like we'll see one anytime soon, many speculate we'll see a mass exodus when we do have a deal in place.

Of course there is a rumor floating around the city plans to hire 16 in Feb, to complete the TOR safer grant. The rumor goes like this, the city will create a list of people who already have CPAT cards and hire from that list for Feb. Then they plan to merge lists as people who are taking the spring CPAT pass. I'm sure the city spelled this out in the application package... I have complete faith this hiring will be run smoothly and you'll be kept informed as to how the city is planning on doing this or you'll be completely left in the dark.

Does anybody know when and where you send in your information confirming the residency points. Also does anyone know if the city is sending out a study packet? Thanks

Does anybody know when and where you send in your information confirming the residency points. Also does anyone know if the city is sending out a study packet? Thanks

Did you read the packet? I did and it answers your first question.

I dont know about a study packet. There is a study class listed above. Its the same price even if you can only attend one day. Supposedly they are trying to set up a class in stamford.

Anyone know if any other cities in CT plan on hiring/giving exams during the 2015 year?

Has anybody heard if they will have any review sessions or such in Stamford?

Has anybody heard back yet from Stamford regarding the exam? I sent my paperwork in a few weeks ago and I still haven't heard back yet. And I'm pretty sure the exam is on the 10th.

Word on the street is the city doesn't have enough people to open apps... Don't expect the city to be proactive with this entire process.

Word on the street is the city doesn't have enough people to open apps... Don't expect the city to be proactive with this entire process.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

The city HR dept was struggling to go through all the apps.

Also the City makes things up as they go. Ask people who took the last civil service exam how long it took the city to certify it.

Has anyone recieved a letter from stamford yet regarding test time and location? All I've gotten was a study guide

Of course there is a rumor floating around the city plans to hire 16 in Feb, to complete the TOR safer grant. The rumor goes like this, the city will create a list of people who already have CPAT cards and hire from that list for Feb. Then they plan to merge lists as people who are taking the spring CPAT pass. I'm sure the city spelled this out in the application package... I have complete faith this hiring will be run smoothly and you'll be kept informed as to how the city is planning on doing this or you'll be completely left in the dark.

So would this mean everyone would find out results by feb. or just people already with cpat??