Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noah Gladstone

FDNY trucks currently being built by Ferrara

23 posts in this topic

and the Hazmat rescue beign built should be for the hazmat engines.

Wow, FDNY is coming a long way from the stepvans.

They keep giving us more and more stuff to carry, soon we'll need tractor drawn rescues and a second piece for half our engines....

EmsFirePolice, SageVigiles and x635 like this

I know this is a silly question before I ask it... but here goes:

Have they ever given thought to opening up a second HAZMAT company?

I know this is a silly question before I ask it... but here goes:

Have they ever given thought to opening up a second HAZMAT company?

You mean other than the huge NYPD HAZMAT rig?

I'm gonna throw this out there too. After a few years working around Ferrara products, I'll say this; Ferrara sucks. They build a poor product, totally shoddy and unreliable.

You mean other than the huge NYPD HAZMAT rig?

Yes, I meant on the FD side. Not sure what the economics of a HAZMAT 2 would be, nor am I trying to say "The City should do..." I'm just curious (if anyone knows) is there a financial reason they decided to expand HAZMAT Operations out to suppression companies as opposed to staffing another HM company, or is it to ensure more manpower and lower response time?

I'm gonna throw this out there too. After a few years working around Ferrara products, I'll say this; Ferrara sucks. They build a poor product, totally shoddy and unreliable.

I will assume that you work within the FDNY, so your comments are based off of first hand FDNY experience with the Ferrara rigs. I know that bid awards are, to the most part, given out to the "Lowest Bidder" who is/has proven to be a reliable supplier of Fire Apparatus, and can show that the can live up to the "Stringent" requirements of the bid award (specifically related to up time and product reliability). There are more and more departments in the tri-state area, who have awarded bids to Ferrara for Fire Apparatus (RE: City of Yonkers awarding Ferrara for their replacements of Engines 303 & 303 as well as Tower Ladder 71). So I guess the jury is still out and time will tell.

Sounds like M'Ave is partial to Big P (Kool Aid) or the eight letter company that starts with S & ends with E.

Sounds like M'Ave is partial to Big P (Kool Aid) or the eight letter company that starts with S & ends with E.

I have never met M'Ave but have followed his posts on here for some time. He is a pretty straight forward career guy who is on the job with FDNY. He had an open mind when the Ferrara's were purchased and now he gets to ride on one every day that he goes to work. I think he's pretty open minded about the KME purchase as well. Not sure the "Kool Aid" comment is fair here.

Not at all. I couldn't care less what name plate is on the grill. We've started to take delivery of the new KME engines. In fact, around the Bronx, there have been several in service for a few months and the reviews are great. We've had very little trouble and they drive great. The back step is nice too. It's roomy, the ride is comfortable and they seem to be put together well.

Ferrara on the other hand......terrible. The O.O.S. time has averaged around 30%. (granted it is coming down) Some were so bad, 4 I believe, that they were replaced after 2 years in service. Those rigs had O.O.S. times upwards of 60%. The problems that have occurred are many and often not a component failure, but poor assembly.

Yes, I meant on the FD side. Not sure what the economics of a HAZMAT 2 would be, nor am I trying to say "The City should do..." I'm just curious (if anyone knows) is there a financial reason they decided to expand HAZMAT Operations out to suppression companies as opposed to staffing another HM company, or is it to ensure more manpower and lower response time?

Since I am no expert and am not on the job please correct me if I am wrong or attack this the wrong way.

In Special Operations you have your 5 Rescues, 7 Squads, and HazMat (Of course additional miscellaneous units). Benefit of a Squad is they fit the role of a Rescue, HazMat, Engine, and or Ladder depending on the box assignment allowing for better versatility and better support in response. In addition to these companies you have SSL (Squad Support Ladders as well as some Squad/Hazmat Support engines (ie. Engine 44). Having these support units allows for a faster specialized response and better coverage of special operations in the city. To add another HazMat you would get another big box racing to jobs that in many circumstances will be mitigated by these support companies. Geographically it just wouldn't make that much sense.

Don't get me wrong I am not downplaying the importance of the HazMat or their need. I don't believe their work can be totally fielded out to suppression companies or other areas of SOC (Squad) but why add another specialized piece to an organization that seems to operate very well with the versatility and variety of other SOC units? A second Hazmat would seem to be redundant. According to FDNY Stats HazMat 1 took in 922 runs in comparison to 2,553 by Rescue 1 or 3,986 by Squad 18. I would imagine adding another Rescue or Squad before another HazMat.

AFS1970 likes this

Ferrara sucks. We were one of the companies to get a new replacement for our "new" Ferrara we took delivery in 2012 their craftsmanship and attention to detail are horrendous. We have not had any of the companies that I run in with take delivery of a KME so I can't give you and personal reviews on that. But I have heard that they are well liked by the brothers who have them in their companies

M' Ave likes this

Does anyone have specifics on why they suck? Anyone have specifics?

First hand expierence there was a time when the mechanic was there literally 7 days in a row for almost 8 hours a day working on different problems. We were ready to give him a locker and a personal bunk. Their quality control is terrible. A lot of half assed work for instant if te window was all the way down it would out pressure on the door lock rod and almost make the door open by itself. We had numerous problems with the turn table and ladder problems with the electronics on the rig. Had problems with the fuel pump an a bunch more. That was just my company a bunch of other companies had similar and other problems also.

The rescues are a different story. They have there own set of problems

I wonder if the Mount Vernon Fire Department are having similar problems/issues with their 2 Ferrara Pumpers (Engine 3 and Engine 4). Be curious to see if the EMTBravo.net members from the Yonkers Fire Department have been reading these posts related to the quality issues that FDNY are having with their Ferrara Rigs, knowing that Yonkers is about to take delivery on 2 New Ferrara Ultra Pumpers (Engine 303 and Engine 313) and will be taking delivery during the first half of 2015 on a New Ferrara Tower Ladder (to replace TL 71). Hmmm :ph34r:

First hand expierence there was a time when the mechanic was there literally 7 days in a row for almost 8 hours a day working on different problems. We were ready to give him a locker and a personal bunk. Their quality control is terrible. A lot of half assed work for instant if te window was all the way down it would out pressure on the door lock rod and almost make the door open by itself. We had numerous problems with the turn table and ladder problems with the electronics on the rig. Had problems with the fuel pump an a bunch more. That was just my company a bunch of other companies had similar and other problems also.

The rescues are a different story. They have there own set of problems

My favorite part of EmtBravo....A keyboard yahoo from Saskatchewan telling the guys who ride the rigs how it is. The Ferraras suck, end of story

I wonder if the Mount Vernon Fire Department are having similar problems/issues with their 2 Ferrara Pumpers (Engine 3 and Engine 4). Be curious to see if the EMTBravo.net members from the Yonkers Fire Department have been reading these posts related to the quality issues that FDNY are having with their Ferrara Rigs, knowing that Yonkers is about to take delivery on 2 New Ferrara Ultra Pumpers (Engine 303 and Engine 313) and will be taking delivery during the first half of 2015 on a New Ferrara Tower Ladder (to replace TL 71). Hmmm :ph34r:

MT.Vernon has been using Ferrara`s for almost 10yrs, we`ve had nothing to complain about They had some initial problems that had be worked out but they ars very strong and reliable,we run em hard all day every day !!!!! sometimes things get broken ,thats just the nature of the machine.

My favorite part of EmtBravo....A keyboard yahoo from Saskatchewan telling the guys who ride the rigs how it is. The Ferraras suck, end of story

Who is from Saskatchewan because it is not me.