Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

E- ONE Apparatus

12 posts in this topic

Who out there is buying E-ONE apparatus ? There #,s must be way down. I always new they were junk from the day they forced one on us, it only lasted 13 years before going to the junk yard. Anybody ?

While I am not currently buying one. I did tour the factory and they have made some significant improvements to the entire operation and the quality of the units I saw. I still don't know if we would buy from them again (we have 4 units right now).

Who out there is buying E-ONE apparatus ? There #,s must be way down. I always new they were junk from the day they forced one on us, it only lasted 13 years before going to the junk yard. Anybody ?

We have an HP75 Quint from E-one that's coming up on the 13 year mark and still going strong. We've had a few issues hear and there. Some big, some small, but overall we've been pretty happy with it. Some issues were with non E-one components and I think there's a decent possibility that some of the other issues we've had could have more to do with our shoddy maintenance program rather than because E-one built it.

We're at a point where we should be working on its replacement and move it to reserve status, but that's not happening yet (for a few reasons). I think we'd definitely consider them when it comes time to replace it (whenever that is). That wasn't the case when it came time to replace our KME pumpers 5 years ago. They were/are junk (ours specifically, not necessarily KME in general) and they weren't even considered.

Somebody likes them. I drive by the factory weekly and there are always different apparatus out front awaiting delivery and the yards are full. Needless to say all the apparatus for my County (Marion) department is E-One, they have a mix of commercial and custom cab pumpers and a couple of aerials. As was the case when I lived further South, each station has a pumper and a 'rescue' (ambulance) and certain stations also have a brush unit, a tanker or other specialized piece.

Fire service here is paid County with two volunteer stations out in the sticks and the City of Ocala has its own paid department.

We had an old E-One Titan 4x4 ARFF at the airport years ago. THAT was a piece of junk (as in you could only open the driver side door from the outside and sometimes would not go into drive). There was a lot wrong with it, and I've never met anyone that has been happy with E-One ARFF vehicles.

On the other hand, my father's department upstate bought an E-One pumper 2 years ago (ish) and it is a phenomenal piece of apparatus. It has a smooth ride, transfers into pump quickly and smoothly, and overall is a great engine to respond with.

IMO, I wouldn't lean towards E-One as a first option, but will definitely consider them in a bidding process.

I know a few departments in Orange County NY that have E-ONE'S and they have never had any issues with them. I know our neighboring department has a 100ft ariel ladder and a rescue pumper and have not one issue. Remember it is not always the manufacturer that is the issue it is the parts that are put into them IE: motor, pump etc. They are not E-ONE products just the chassis and body.

To date there are a lot more Spartan ERV trucks being manufactured than their leading competition. I am on the truck committee and we are going for mid inspection on our 2nd custom rescue pumper in 2 weeks to South Dakota. We have not had 1 major issue as of this date and have had the 1st one for almost 2 years now. The are becoming a popular company especially in New York

I know a few departments in Orange County NY that have E-ONE'S and they have never had any issues with them. I know our neighboring department has a 100ft ariel ladder and a rescue pumper and have not one issue. Remember it is not always the manufacturer that is the issue it is the parts that are put into them IE: motor, pump etc. They are not E-ONE products just the chassis and body.

I have spoken with a member of the department in question a couple of times this year, and he says they are very happy with the E-Ones. Described them as being "great trucks". Same individual could not say the same about their two relatively new Ferraras.

Department in a neighboring county with a new E-One pumper-tanker has been having issues with it (no details), but did not seem to be outright unhappy from what I gathered. As was said, it depends on how the truck is spec'ed and the quality of the components involved as well. I've heard the jokes (E-Junk) about this company just as many times as the joke about what KME stands for, but can find just as many people who sing the praises of each company as well.

The city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada is in the process of receiving 9 E-ONES.

Jersey City Ladder 12 has an 100 foot 2013 former demo Point Pleasant beach NJ just ordered a Quest mid mount boom AKA Squirt i guess sales here in nj are ok

Newark nj has e-ones they beat the piss out of them trucks the doors are rotton off but the trucks are still running strong

I've got family in Ocala and drive up I-75 to see them or go to Gator games at least 15-20 times a year. The E-One plant is indeed going strong as SECTMB indicated. There was a time about two years ago that the number of apparatus on the two different lots surrounding the plant looked very empty. Other than that, they have constantly been at capacity. Orange County Fire Rescue (surrounds Orlando) runs E-One's exclusively. They have no issues with them. Funny thing is that none of the other major Central Florida (read: Orlando) municipalities run them. Winter Park and Maitland run Piece, City of Orlando runs Sutphen, Seminole County Fire Rescue runs Pierce, Osceola County runs Pierce.... Strange that with a the manufacturer right up the road that more local departments would't spec them considering the success that OCFR (a huge department) has had.

On another note.... Millwood ran two 1982 E-One Kenworth rigs for over 20 years. E-245 (TS-2) and E-248 were strong until the end. I recall that Ossining was very fond of L-42 which was a 100ft rearmount on a single axle.