Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Buffalo FD Propane Gas Explosion Multi LODD 32 Years Ago

8 posts in this topic

Some lessons can be learned from the remembrance of this tragedy. Especially now since the frequency of gas calls is on the rise.

From "The Secret List":

=BUILDING/GAS EXPLOSION:

Additionally, every Firefighter should well familiar with the multi LODD loss in Buffalo (NY) when 5 Buffalo FD Ladder 5 Firefighters (and 2 civilians) were killed in a propane explosion on December 27, 1983.

EXCELLENT ARTICLE:

http://www.buffalonews.com/feed/30-years-later-survivors-recount-horror-of-propane-blast-20131221

Westfield12 and batt2 like this

My guys NEVER park in front of a structure at a gas call. The image of that truck company crushed in front of the building still haunts me. I've seen departments who still do, and they really need to review this incident.

Edited by LineCapt
Westfield12, boca1day, x635 and 2 others like this

My guys NEVER park in front of a structure at a gas call. The image of that truck company crushed in front of the building still haunts me. I've seen departments who still do, and they really need to review this incident.

AGREED!!!

Besides when we leave the front open, the sector car has a great space in front and he does not have to walk far. Takes a while for the new guys to understand that and park up the block

Westfield12 and x635 like this

I remember when this happened, story was in Firehouse Magazine. So much danger at gas leaks.

Westfield12 and x635 like this

I was once on a gas odor call where the driver of the truck I was on lit up a cigarette in the cab while stopped in the street where the engine company was investigating.

Westfield12 likes this

Another year has passed, and still a lesson to not be forgotten, especially with gas calls rising.

Westfield12 likes this