Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

Foam Units In Westchester

17 posts in this topic

Who in Westchester has foam units?

White Plains operated/housed the County's Foam Trailer last I knew? And does Mount Vernon still have that Airport rig they planned to use as a foam unit?

x635 likes this

White Plains FD recently turned the county owned foam units back over to DES. The haz-mat team will be in charge of them. Yesterday it responded with the haz-mat team to the fire in Thornwood. The foam trailer will probably need a little TLC and additional training now that DES has it back.

Not in Westchester county but the City of Danbury Fire Department operates a State of CT owned foam trailer. It is a 500 gallon trailer with a master stream, multiple hand lines, on board transfer pump, and many connections. The trailer carries 1/3% Universal Gold and is available for mutual aid. It is assigned to Engine 26 which is the firehouse across from the Danbury Fair Mall. It is staffed 24/7 and is always ready to respond. It was thought of being called during yesterday's fire in Thornwood.

post-2366-0-06733600-1420481555.jpg

post-2366-0-68687400-1420481575.jpg

Edited by JM15
x635 likes this

Yonkers FD has its Foam Unit housed at Station 13 and is run as part of YFD's Special Operations Department, supported by the crew of Engine 313 and Ladder 73. YFD has used this apparatus on a few occasions over the years.

Mount Vernon FD's Foam Unit, I believe, hasn't existed in years. When it was "last in service" FDMV was running it, using a converted 1967 Mack C Rig (Former Engine 6), until FDMV disbanded its Foam Unit. There was 1 attempt of reviving the FDMV Foam Rig, when they obtained the Old Westchester County Airport Fire Rig (See Photo), but sadly, that rig sat in the back of Station 2, rusting, for a number of years (I don't think it is still back there), rather than fixing it back up and having it as their Foam Unit (You would think, with all of the businesses down in the Old "Oil City" area of Mount Vernon, there would be a need for such a rig.

Surprised that White Plains FD gave their Foam Unit back to the County DES. (Maybe someone in the know can clarify why White Plains FD gave it back to the County?)

post-80-0-86674800-1420484145.jpg

post-80-0-58104700-1420484156.jpg

Edited by 61MACKBR1
x635 likes this

Yonkers FD has its Foam Unit housed at Station 13 and is run as part of YFD's Special Operations Department, supported by the crew of Engine 313 and Ladder 73. YFD has used this apparatus on a few occasions over the years.

Mount Vernon FD's Foam Unit, I believe, hasn't existed in years. When it was "last in service" FDMV was running it, using a converted 1967 Mack C Rig (Former Engine 6), until FDMV disbanded its Foam Unit. There was 1 attempt of reviving the FDMV Foam Rig, when they obtained the Old Westchester County Airport Fire Rig (See Photo), but sadly, that rig sat in the back of Station 2, rusting, for a number of years (I don't think it is still back there), rather than fixing it back up and having it as their Foam Unit (You would think, with all of the businesses down in the Old "Oil City" area of Mount Vernon, there would be a need for such a rig.

Surprised that White Plains FD gave their Foam Unit back to the County DES. (Maybe someone in the know can clarify why White Plains FD gave it back to the County?)

I used to drive that ARFF Truck.

Old Airport 7.

x635 likes this

What foam does the Yonkers "foam unit" operate with?

x635 likes this

What foam does the Yonkers "foam unit" operate with?

The Foam Unit carries a supply of AFFF in 5 gallon containers and has Master Stream Foam Delivery equipment. It responds with E313 and L73 whose crews are trained in its deployment.

Edited by batt2
BFD1054, x635, Disaster_Guy and 1 other like this

The Foam Unit carries a supply of AFFF in 5 gallon containers and has Master Stream Foam Delivery equipment. It responds with E313 and L73 whose crews are trained in its deployment.

Chief, just curious as to the choice of the AFFF? I'm no foam expert but isn't AR-AFFF a more all around "general purpose" agent and wouldn't it give you the all around best bang for your buck for different scenarios or situations. I am not sure what is in the DES trailer but I know Danbury and the State of CT use AR-AFFF in their trailers.

It looks like the Yonkers foam unit is a former engine. Does it have an on board direct foam induction system? Or are you using foam eductors in the 5 gallon buckets?

Thanks!

x635 likes this

Croton's Engine 118 has a 100 gallon foam cell, which carries 1/3% AR-AFFF.

Additionally, our other 2 Engines, Tanker 10 and Marine 12 carry a combined 60 gallons extra.

cbryson and x635 like this

Airport 7 was first given to Port Chester as we are first due to the airport but with no place to kept it it was turned down . Then we said that we will man it if it was kept at the airport but they wanted it gone. Then off to the Vern then 4 months ago it was cut up for scrap

x635 likes this

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/47583-high-volume-foam-f500-drill/?hl=%2Bfoam+%2Bdrill

This was a foam drill that we did at DES at the request of ConEd. They wanted to see different ways to deliver foam to a burning substation (in particular the one that just burned). We were able to test a number of systems.

The DES trailer carries F-500 (it was donated by ConEd and refilled by them), DES has order a new trailer with Universal Gold 1-3% AR-AFFF.

We carry 24 gal Universal Gold 1-3% AR-AFFF on every engine and 3 55 gal drums as seen in the pictures.

x635 and Disaster_Guy like this

Chief, just curious as to the choice of the AFFF? I'm no foam expert but isn't AR-AFFF a more all around "general purpose" agent and wouldn't it give you the all around best bang for your buck for different scenarios or situations. I am not sure what is in the DES trailer but I know Danbury and the State of CT use AR-AFFF in their trailers.

It looks like the Yonkers foam unit is a former engine. Does it have an on board direct foam induction system? Or are you using foam eductors in the 5 gallon buckets?

Thanks!

It is Alcohol-Resistant AFFF. There is no on-board induction system. A 2 1/2" input/ 2 1/2" output eductor is used along with a large bucket that the 5 gallon pails are poured into. There is a 2 1/2" coupling foam playpipe for delivery.

It isn't fancy but it has been used successfully on many occasions.

Edited by batt2
JM15 and x635 like this

Here is a photo (from a long time ago) of the Con Ed Transformer Fire (up alongside Tuckahoe Road/Ridge Hill Complex) in Yonkers, New York, where YFD used the Foam Unit as part of its attack of the fire

post-80-0-54785700-1420563266.jpg

BFD1054 likes this

Here is a photo (from a long time ago) of the Con Ed Transformer Fire (up alongside Tuckahoe Road/Ridge Hill Complex) in Yonkers, New York, where YFD used the Foam Unit as part of its attack of the fire

We did not have the Foam Unit then (pic is from around 1995). All the foam cans used off the rigs, then FDNY was called in for foam. Our Master Stream Foam equipment was purchased after this incident, and used about a week later on the gasoline tanker crash/fire on CPA by Thruway. Edited by R1SmokeEater
boca1day, BFD1054, x635 and 2 others like this

We did not have the Foam Unit then (pic is from around 1995). All the foam cans used off the rigs, then FDNY was called in for foam. Our Master Stream Foam equipment was purchased after this incident, and used about a week later on the gasoline tanker crash/fire on CPA by Thruway.

Was that the crash on CPA under the Thruway near the old Ground Round? Remember that one.

Montrose VA E225 has 55gals of 3/6 % AR-AFFF and an additional 150gals available. E225 has been special called for foam to Continental Village and City of Peekskill.

Edited by SKE#2HAHN
x635 likes this

Was that the crash on CPA under the Thruway near the old Ground Round? Remember that one.

Yup, fatal accident under the thruway overpass of CPA.

West Point Fd has a foam trailer & has 200 gal's of foam in can's. Also each Engine has 100 gals on broad. 3-6 % AFFF

Edited by va360
SKE#2HAHN, boca1day and x635 like this