Piranha174

METU Units

47 posts in this topic

Where was the DES METU? Why have a METU respond from Yonkers when there is one literally up the street?

Good Question.

trauma74 likes this

Good Question.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself

Where was the DES METU? Why have a METU respond from Yonkers when there is one literally up the street?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself

Because the counties unit is not "designed" to be used at emergency incidents. Its just to evacuate nursing homes.

Wonder if it can be modified to function in an emergency?

rac731 likes this

What is the METU unit?

METU is the acronym for “Medical Evacuation Transportation Unit”. It was designed specifically “to assist in the evacuation and relocation of stable individuals confined to a hospital, nursing home or assisted living facility during an emergency or catastrophic event.” It has the capacity to safely transport from one medical facility to another. It is not a MERV, MCI unit, or big ambulance as it is not set-up or equipped to treat, only to transfer.

I believe that 18 METU units were purchased under the New York City Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) and they are assigned to agencies in NJ (several cities/counties), Nassau County, Suffolk County, FDNY, City of Yonkers (YPD), as well as with WCDES here in Westchester.

Again, they are NOT units designed to treat or transport victims from MCIs…their mission is very specific and it is to transfer and transport people between hospitals and/or other health care facilities.

I hope this answers your question and clarifies the continued confusion regarding the METU and its mandated function.

Edited by CFI609D
Disaster_Guy and chris498 like this

I absolutely agree that "if" the County of Westchester - Department of Emergency Services, has in its possession a METU apparatus, housed at the DES Facility on the Grasslands Campus, then that unit should be designated as the "Primary" METU Unit dispatched for all "Central Westchester County Mass Casualty Incidents" manned with personnel trained to handle and support such requirements (be it trained personnel from the County DES and/or Trained Emergency Service Personnel from Westchester County Medical Center). The Yonkers PD METU should be used for all Southern Westcheter Mass Casualty Incidents. While it was great to see how fast the Yonkers PD METU unit got to the scene/command post in Valhalla last evening (although primarily used for Fire Fighter and Emergency Worker Injuries, given that all of the victims had already been transported directly to WCMC).

It would be, in my opinion, suffice to say, that this should be a "Lessons Learned" event and that measures should be taken immediately to correct what should be corrected, to avoid something tragic from happening in the future.

(As Captain Barry said in an earlier post, its sad that the County's METU Rig is essentially down to supporting nursing homes) :(

METU is the acronym for “Medical Evacuation Transportation Unit”. It was designed specifically “to assist in the evacuation and relocation of stable individuals confined to a hospital, nursing home or assisted living facility during an emergency or catastrophic event.” It has the capacity to safely transport from one medical facility to another. It is not a MERV, MCI unit, or big ambulance as it is not set-up or equipped to treat, only to transfer.

I believe that 18 METU units were purchased under the New York City Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) and they are assigned to agencies in NJ (several cities/counties), Nassau County, Suffolk County, FDNY, City of Yonkers (YPD), as well as with WCDES here in Westchester.

Again, they are NOT units designed to treat or transport victims from MCIs…their mission is very specific and it is to transfer and transport people between hospitals and/or other health care facilities.

I hope this answers your question and clarifies the continued confusion regarding the METU and its mandated function.

EmsFirePolice likes this

Can you give us the reference you are using for this information? Who "mandated" the function for the use of the METU?

It seems to me that Westchester made a calculated choice to opt out of using the vehicle for a variety of assignments the way other UASI partners are. YPD has been using theirs with great success and I'm sure if there was a mandate prohibiting that they wouldn't be able to do it.

FDNY can use the vehicles for MCI and other things (see policy attached). It may just be less efficient in the city where ambulances are far more abundant than here in Westchester.

To think that a vehicle that can transport two dozen people (or more) sits idly by while ambulances have to be summoned from around the county just doesn't make any sense. With the airport, railroads, high-rises, and other significant hazards in the county to limit the resource to only nursing home evacuations is unwise. Especially when you consider how fragmented and inadequate the EMS system is in the county. It is almost as if the county just wants the toys but not the responsibility of using them.

When has a nursing home in Westchester County ever had to be evacuated? How about in the UASI territory?

I heard somewhere (sorry) that there was a motor vehicle accident on the Taconic/Bx River Pkwy near the train incident and that Valhalla FD was already on the scene?

Can anyone confirm (or plausibly deny) that for me?

Thanks

I heard the same thing. FD/PD/EMS operating at a serious MVA on the parkway "witnessed" the train accident.

post-20444-0-22977700-1423093572.jpg

Piranha174, AFS1970 and PEMO3 like this

When has a nursing home in Westchester County ever had to be evacuated?

That would have been a valid point prior to Irene.... However, post Irene and MASSIVE EMS deployment activated to address the exact issue of nursing facility evacuation during Irene, it is obvious resources need to be in place to evacuate those who literally cannot do it for themselves. How many ambulances do you think it takes to evacuate your average SNF? 20? 30? My estimates are around 50, provided each ambulance is transporting 2 patients each. Now tell me where you are going to get 50 ambulances per SNF. 50 ambulances or 2.5 buses? Should already know the answer.

I didnt drive 7 hours to fort dix to spend 3 days sleeping in my rig for nothing...

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

When has a nursing home in Westchester County ever had to be evacuated? How about in the UASI territory?

We have 2 in the coastal evacuation zone that evacuated during Sandy (a 3rd chose to rid it out) Including approx. 30 vent dependent patients. Durining Irene one facility was ordered by NYS DOH to take evacuated patients from a Far rockaway SNF, They advised the DOH, they could not as they were evacuating themselves.

That would have been a valid point prior to Irene.... However, post Irene and MASSIVE EMS deployment activated to address the exact issue of nursing facility evacuation during Irene, it is obvious resources need to be in place to evacuate those who literally cannot do it for themselves. How many ambulances do you think it takes to evacuate your average SNF? 20? 30? My estimates are around 50, provided each ambulance is transporting 2 patients each. Now tell me where you are going to get 50 ambulances per SNF. 50 ambulances or 2.5 buses? Should already know the answer.

I didnt drive 7 hours to fort dix to spend 3 days sleeping in my rig for nothing...

This whole discussion should probably be split off this topic because it hasn't really got anything to do with the train accident but it is still interesting (at least to me). So did Westchester evacuate nursing homes pre/post Irene? Or Sandy?

Which ones? How many ambulances did it take? Not all NH/SNF patients need ambulances. Many of them can probably be transported in wheelchairs or even just regular buses so it may not require that many ambulances.

We have 2 in the coastal evacuation zone that evacuated during Sandy (a 3rd chose to rid it out) Including approx. 30 vent dependent patients. Durining Irene one facility was ordered by NYS DOH to take evacuated patients from a Far rockaway SNF, They advised the DOH, they could not as they were evacuating themselves.

Can ventilator dependent patients be transported by METU or do they require ambulances?

Still, no one has responded to why the County Department of Emergency Services procured a METU unit, to which is "apparently" never used for what it was intended to be used for ???? Tax Payer Dollars wasted again !

Still, no one has responded to why the County Department of Emergency Services procured a METU unit, to which is "apparently" never used for what it was intended to be used for ???? Tax Payer Dollars wasted again !

Hate to break it to you, but an online chat room is not the appropriate place to issues press releases regarding tax monies, government purchased equipment, and their usage. Face to face meetings where statements can be delivered and Q&A can be handled in a more appropriate and prudent manor are ideal. You're never going to get a PIO approved statement on here regarding anything, because, no pun intended, it is not the appropriate forum to do so.

Hate to break it to you, but an online chat room is not the appropriate place to issues press releases regarding tax monies, government purchased equipment, and their usage. Face to face meetings where statements can be delivered and Q&A can be handled in a more appropriate and prudent manor are ideal. You're never going to get a PIO approved statement on here regarding anything, because, no pun intended, it is not the appropriate forum to do so.

Do you really think that the County, in a public forum, is going to address such a question, where they don't have an appropriate answer? (This is EXACTLY WHY people are leaving EMTBravo.net, because they are afraid of the reprocussions that might arise from them making their opinions known on this web site). Thus, your response clearly answers the other topic on this site of "What has happened to this site" !!!

FireCap119 and WCFCX613 like this

From the start it was stated that the METU was not to be used for any purpose other than evacuating a nursing home or hospital. So your statement can't be correct since that is the original intent. You seem very upset about this situation and "wasted tax dollars" but your location is listed as Rhode Island so what difference to you does it make if Westchester County's METU went?

There appears to be no actual plan for the unit (that I am aware of). I know if needed the members of the Technical Rescue Team are supposed to drive it and the facilities personnel would ride to handle medical care on board (Nurses, doctors etc.) I was hoping the other night would be a situation for the Commissioner to special call this resource, especially since the Tech Rescue team had members in/responding to the building for other special equipment.

boca1day likes this

Can ventilator dependent patients be transported by METU or do they require ambulances?

The Yonkers PD unit is certified as an ambulance and can transport it if staff is available to take care of the specific patient needs (which is true for most ambulances).

WCFCX613 likes this

This whole discussion should probably be split off this topic because it hasn't really got anything to do with the train accident but it is still interesting (at least to me). So did Westchester evacuate nursing homes pre/post Irene? Or Sandy?

Which ones? How many ambulances did it take? Not all NH/SNF patients need ambulances. Many of them can probably be transported in wheelchairs or even just regular buses so it may not require that many ambulances.

Many patients were not able to be evacuated by wheelchair as wheelchair van drivers evacuated and/or sheltered in place. Wheelchair van drivers are not emergency medical personnel remember, they have no duty to serve.

Most bed confined patients were transported 2 to a truck so 2:1 (2 patients for every 1 patient care provider), anyone requiring more advanced monitoring was transported 1:1 (1 patients for every 1 patient care provider) this included pedi, ventilator and psyciatric pts. I am not sure how critical/ICU patients were transported.

The Yonkers PD unit is certified as an ambulance and can transport it if staff is available to take care of the specific patient needs (which is true for most ambulances).

The YPD METU is the only one of the 18 purchased by the U.S. Government via the grant program that is set-up for treatment and rehab. The remaining 17 (FDNY, WCDES, NJ, Nassau, etc) are only set-up for transport and are essentially identical.

Disaster_Guy likes this

No local/regional tax dollars were used to purchase the METU. It was acquired via the Federal USAI program (see my earlier post). As to potential use as a MERV, that would be a function it was NOT intended to be used for.

No local/regional tax dollars were used to purchase the METU. It was acquired via the Federal USAI program (see my earlier post). As to potential use as a MERV, that would be a function it was NOT intended to be used for.

Right, no loca/regional tax dollars. Just federal tax dollars. So we paid somewhat less for something that may be used once in a decade vs. making minor modifications so it could be used more frequently to support our already strained EMS system.

Disaster_Guy likes this

Many patients were not able to be evacuated by wheelchair as wheelchair van drivers evacuated and/or sheltered in place. Wheelchair van drivers are not emergency medical personnel remember, they have no duty to serve.

Most bed confined patients were transported 2 to a truck so 2:1 (2 patients for every 1 patient care provider), anyone requiring more advanced monitoring was transported 1:1 (1 patients for every 1 patient care provider) this included pedi, ventilator and psyciatric pts. I am not sure how critical/ICU patients were transported.

To what incident are you referring? Bus drivers (public and private) aren't emergency personnel either but they are part of many evacucation plans.

Did someone plan on using wheelchair vans in advance and contact them to develop an agreement or contract? If that were the case, they would have a contractual duty to act.

We rely on lots of people that are not bound by any kind of "duty to act" so the failure is probably failure to plan more than their lack of "duty".

From the start it was stated that the METU was not to be used for any purpose other than evacuating a nursing home or hospital. So your statement can't be correct since that is the original intent. You seem very upset about this situation and "wasted tax dollars" but your location is listed as Rhode Island so what difference to you does it make if Westchester County's METU went?

There appears to be no actual plan for the unit (that I am aware of). I know if needed the members of the Technical Rescue Team are supposed to drive it and the facilities personnel would ride to handle medical care on board (Nurses, doctors etc.) I was hoping the other night would be a situation for the Commissioner to special call this resource, especially since the Tech Rescue team had members in/responding to the building for other special equipment.

Maybe the County needs to revisit the intent of the County METU unit, especially given this recent incident? PS - I still have tax paying family residing in Westchester County, thus my interest and concern.

Right, no loca/regional tax dollars. Just federal tax dollars. So we paid somewhat less for something that may be used once in a decade vs. making minor modifications so it could be used more frequently to support our already strained EMS system.

Any where do you suppose the Federal Dollars to fund such grants come from? (They just don't say "print some money for this grant" !). It comes from taxpayer dollars (yours and mine). So the statement that non local or regional tax dollars were used, really doesn't make any sense, as "TAX DOLLARS" were used to fund the grant. And who pays into these "Tax Dollars"? You, I and everyone else. So we all should have a say into how our tax dollars are spent and used and to ensure that it is being used "Wisely and Effectively" and not used to be wasted on a piece of apparatus that just sits in a Garage in Valhalla. I say "Maximize" its potential use (As an Mass Casualty Unit Ambulance and Transportation Unit and not just as a unit to Mass Transport Nursing Home Patients)

Disaster_Guy likes this

Even if the primary use is to evacuate hospitals and nursing homes, I see no reasons why they could not also be pressed into service in a MCI for treatment. In the past we have used school buses or transit buses to transport large numbers of people. I am old enough to remember when every U.S. Mail truck was convertible to an Ambulance and all had the "CD" logo on them because they were Civil Defense resources. How is it superior to put an EMT on a school bus than on an METU?

Any where do you suppose the Federal Dollars to fund such grants come from? (They just don't say "print some money for this grant" !). It comes from taxpayer dollars (yours and mine). So the statement that non local or regional tax dollars were used, really doesn't make any sense, as "TAX DOLLARS" were used to fund the grant. And who pays into these "Tax Dollars"? You, I and everyone else. So we all should have a say into how our tax dollars are spent and used and to ensure that it is being used "Wisely and Effectively" and not used to be wasted on a piece of apparatus that just sits in a Garage in Valhalla. I say "Maximize" its potential use (As an Mass Casualty Unit Ambulance and Transportation Unit and not just as a unit to Mass Transport Nursing Home Patients)

That was my point exactly in response to an earlier post about it not being local tax money.

Taxes are taxes and waste is waste..

That was my point exactly in response to an earlier post about it not being local tax money.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. We spend a lot of money (how it is paid for is irrelevant) on shinny equipment that is paraded out by a local politician that shows how he/she cares for his/her constituents. After the dog and pony show, said modern wonder sits rotting somewhere and may not be ever used again. But we can say we are prepared for the next big one. Grant money should be used in a way that maximizes its return. If a vehicle is needed, make it so it has multi functions. Grants for upgraded turnout gear- fine.

I'm going to focus on the waste part of the issue. Why do we pay for (again, the source of the money is irrelevant) a piece of apparatus that will sit and collect dust and rust for it to be used once in a blue moon? If the WCDES METU was granted for the sole purpose of evacuating nursing homes and similar facilities, does that mean that we actually have a problem evacuating said facilities? Do we have to evacuate these facilities that often that we need a vehicle SOLELY for that purpose?

We've reacted wildly after every terror attack and every natural disaster to get the best, shiniest equipment, yet a lot of this equipment ends up sitting idle. If we have a METU, why can't it be used in MCI situations, not just to be able to get the motor running every now and then, but to use that darn thing? And couldn't it be part of a larger, regional task force, where it and similar units from around the area can work as a team to respond to large scale MCI calls?