Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

NYS Training Hours

10 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me how NYS OFPC Training hours work? I am being told there are 1500 hours allocated from OFPC to each county for "State OFPC " training, and when those are allocated, that's it. It seems to me that some counties have tons of "State OFPC" training opportunities (FF1, FF2, and all other OFPC classes) , and others, not so much. I am trying to separate truth from fiction.

Edited by 38ff
Bottom of Da Hill likes this

The training hours are divided up per county depending on how many sfi's are assigned. Westchester has 15 instructors who are required to teach at least 175 hours so Westchester gets about 2700 hers. And then there may be more assigned depending on how busy the counties are.

Is there a list of SFIs are assigned to each county?

Is there a list of SFIs are assigned to each county?

I am sure if you ask your cfc or ofpc fps assigned to your county or your county training div. You should get your answer.

Im trying not to go that route... Like I said, Im trying to separate fact from fiction and verify what I am being told....

Edited by 38ff

Im trying not to go that route... Like I said, Im trying to separate fact from fiction and verify what I am being told....

I am sure if you ask your cfc or ofpc fps assigned to your county or your county training div. You should get your answer.

Mr. Benz is right. Ask OFPC directly or ask the county training office for a FACTUAL answer. You're more likely to get partial truths here unless someone with the CORRECT knowledge steps up to the plate.

Really not sure what you are asking, but here goes. Each county gets allotted state fire instructors based on need. Not sure what formula is used, but as a sfi, you have to get certified by the state ofpc to instruct any classes you want to teach. As an sfi the main goal is to get ff-1 classes out to the folks. Sfi's try to teach what is in demand, but certification in certain classes may be limited. Each course taught uses up the state hours. Any hours not used go into a pool if other counties need them. Sfi's that are certified in multiple skills can teach the most courses, in turn getting more courses taught in that county. If you have sfi's not teaching that is a whole different story.

As far as I know, there is no list of instructors anywhere. I have been an sfi for 15 yrs. this is what I know of how the system works.

38ff likes this

Mark,

While I don't know the breakdown the county hours are not divided equally, why would Greene County the same hour allotment as Westchester? At the last Orange Co FFI graduation the Dep Coordinator of Fire Training stated Orange County is #2 in NYS with OFPC hours, behind only Erie County. With that being said Orange County also separately funds their own County Fire Instructors. This greatly reduces the dependence on NYS hours for classes.

ie. If a class needs a 2nd and 3rd instructor for 10 hours of hands on in a county like Ulster you use up 30 OFPC hours, Orange can use 10 OFPC and 20 county hours if they'd like. This increases the amount of classes they can host.

38ff likes this

Good info...

Separate question

I know OFPC has their own "outreach" instructors that travel all over the state teaching classes (not FF1 type stuff, but more like "not the normal" type classes). For instance, we had one come down for a one night class on Hybrid Car Awareness type info, where state certs were issued..

Who's hours do those come out of? The Countys?