Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

2 PG County rigs destroyed by fire

16 posts in this topic

Photos credit to original photographers who are not me...

Rescue Engine 33 (Kentland)
post-11-0-37795000-1428365942.jpg

Engine 281 (West Lanham Hills)

post-11-0-58639000-1428366322.jpg

post-11-0-82857800-1428366110.jpg

Westfield12 likes this

Statement just posted on West Lanham Hills Volunteer Fire Department's page:

*** 37 BOX update *** Engine 282 (88 Seagrave) was involved in fire after fire ripped through styrofoam materials behind the address next door so fast crews barely made it out. ALL crews from companies involved are ok and accounted for. No other WLHVFD apparatus was involved.
Westfield12 likes this

Ah yes the Kentland 33 yahoo's. Not surprised this happened to them. Only a matter of time. They are a bit too unprofessional for anyone's tastes. I have met firemen from around the country and world, both career and volunteer, and no one can hold a candle to how these guys run. We are all Type A personalities and cocky but look at how these guys present themselves. "We are better then you" "Busiest company in the country" That's all nice and cute but every time the run totals come out they seem to not be the top guys. hmmm.

There is this story

cackis and vwwh1 like this

So companies were clearing from a small basement fire in Company 46's area (that's Kentland's second station, all career staff though.) Engine 838 notified Communications that they were gonna check out some smoke in the area. While they were on the way to check it out Communications dropped a box alarm for a building fire, and about 2 minutes later E838 arrived on scene, announced they were laying dual lines and that they had heavy fire from a 2-story commercial. Immediate second alarm.

First Alarm:

Engines: E828B, E838, E823, E829

Specials: TK809, TK838, RE833

Battalions: BO887, BO884

Ambulance: A826

Volunteer Chiefs: VC823, VC282B, VC837B, VC827A

Working Fire Dispatch:

Safety Officer 800, Volunteer Safety Officer

Duty Officer 800

Paramedic Ambulance 846

Southern EMS Duty Officer

Second Alarm:

Engines: PE830B, E855, E812B, E817 (PE: Paramedic Engine)

Specials: TL820, TK843, SQ827

Battalion Chiefs: BO884, BO883

Ambulance 812C

Light/Air Unit 816

Water Supply 825

Volunteer Chiefs: VC828A

Rehab 800

Canteen 801

Mobile Command Unit 800

Third Alarm:

Engine: E845, E816, PE844, E811B

Specials: TK821, TL839, SQ806

Battalion Chiefs: 887

Foam Engine 812 with E812

Other PGFD Units:

Fire Chief

Executive Officer to the Fire Chief (on board Eagle One as Air Recon Chief)

Deputy Fire Chief

Volunteer Services Commander

PIO

Fire Marshal's Office

Other Agencies:

PG OEM

United States Park Police Aviation Unit (Eagle One)

PGPD

I'm sure I missed a few, but that's the best rundown I can come up with.

We didn't do a damned thing but pick up 2300 feet of 5", but it was a pretty crazy scene.

I'm not going to comment on other things that happened at this call other than to say I'm glad all the guys from 33 and 28 are going to be okay. Despite all the talk that's out there, I've actually run fires with 33 before and I have never had a problem with them.

Edited by SageVigiles
x635 and Westfield12 like this

I noticed that all these units now have an 8 in front of them but the pictures still show the numbers like 33 or 28. Is this something new that PGFD is doing?

This was posted on the official page of Kentland FD:

**DEPARTMENTAL INCIDENT RELEASE WITH AERIAL OVERVIEW**

At 1715, hours, units from the Greater Landover area were dispatched for a building fire at 8740 Ashwood Drive. Rescue Engine 33 (operating as a Rescue Squad) responded to the scene with 5 personnel, a large column of smoke could be seen as soon as the crew left the station. The fire involved a large pile of building materials and several veh...icles adjoining a large commercial building, prompting first due Engine Co 38 to request the second alarm upon arrival. Rescue Squad 33 arrived as the second special service and worked to position themselves on the C-charlie side per the SOPs. Noting the large volume of fire as the unit approached the rear of the buildings, the decision was made by the officer to position behind the Delta-1 exposure, upwind of the fire building and approximately 300' away from the edge of the fire area. The crew used saws to cut several chainlink gates and a fence to gain access to the area where the burning materials were being stored. Once in the rear, the OIC of Rescue Squad 33 gave returns (radio reports) on the conditions of the fire building and the multiple exposure buildings. Although there was some heat from the fire, the conditions in the storage yard were tenable. As other units began to arrive and worked to establish a water supply in the rear, the crew of the Rescue Squad was able to examine and report the conditions of the fire building and exposures. At approximately 8 minutes into the incident, the winds shifted towards the Charlie Side and conditions immediately deteriorated to near-zero visibility and high heat. As fire reached the pallets in the rear, the panels of foam-type insulation turned to a flaming, molten liquid and began to follow the path of the terrain, igniting everything it touched. Within seconds, what had been a tenable operating position in an open air environment became a rapidly advancing wall of fire, as pallet stack after pallet stack lit off.

Recognizing the severity of the situation, the Squad OIC immediately made the call for the crew to evacuate the area, but the speed of the flowing "lava" was so great that the crew of the Rescue Squad became cut off from their exit. As the members attempted to make their way toward the hole they had minutes ago cut in the fence, the liquid enveloped their feet and legs, hardening to their gear and scolding their skin. The members used everything available to gain elevation from the liquid and remove themselves from the deteriorating wildfire-like scenario. Drawn by the contour of the land, the burning liquid reached the Rescue Squad, parked behind the exposure building, igniting the vehicle immediately upon contact; within a minute, the unit was fully involved in fire, despite the efforts of the crew to extinguish it.

Unimpeded in its progress, the wall of flame continued to advance while the crew managed to escape the area to the location of Engine Company 28, several yards behind the Rescue Squad, where they were able to get water on their super-heated gear and re-initiate fire attack. However, mere moments later, the steadily advancing flame front reached the front of Company 28's Engine and it soon met the same fate as Rescue Squad 33. A short time later, a water supply for the rear was reestablished and the Rescue Squad crew worked with others to extinguish the flames. In total the fire went to three alarms before being brought under control.

post-11-0-39407000-1428432335.jpg

I noticed that all these units now have an 8 in front of them but the pictures still show the numbers like 33 or 28. Is this something new that PGFD is doing?

The Metropolitan Washngon Council of Governments has a Public Safety are that decided on a standardized numbering system for fire apparatus and stations. Some agancies elected to use it full time, others only on mutual aid.

0 - Washington DC

1 - Arlington County

2 - Alexandria

3 - Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

4 - Fairfax County

5 - Prince William County

6 - Loudon County

7 - Montgomery County

8 - Prince George’s County

9 - Frederick County

What was formerly: Became:

PG Station 99 PG Station 899

PG Engine 991 PG Engine 899

PG Engine 992 PG Engine 899B

Edited by 201/65
SageVigiles and AFS1970 like this

I have ridden at 33 many times, I am not a member but have many friends there and ride when I am in the area. They are not the nuts everyone thinks they are. Knock on their door at any hour of the day and you will be greeted with a handshake and treated like a king. They will include you in the meal, include you in the drills, try to teach you something (because whether you want to believe it or not, outside of the FDNY guys here, they most likely see more fires and working incidents than most who visit this site) and they will ask you if you have any input on drills and things. Every time I go there the chief always asks me how I am doing and remembers me from all the times I have visited. They get hundreds of visitors a year but they will always remember you and treat you right as long as you come in and are respectful. All the Kentland and PG bashers, educate yourself before you run your mouths. These guys have the most pride I have ever seen (reviled by FDNY Rescue 2, where Pete Lund a Kentland guy, was from) and the hours of work they put in to their apparatus maintenance I can not help but laugh when people say they are not surprised they let this happen. Those 33 rigs look better after a working job than most do off the factory floor.

Westfield12 and CFI609D like this

There are a lot of misconceptions about PG, mostly by people who have never once been down here, or who have only seen a video, read an article or two, or "heard from a guy that used to ride down there." Sure, we're not even anywhere close to perfect, but there's few places where someone can go and get this amount of experience in this short of a time period.

I'd advise anyone who thinks they know how PGFD operates to come do a ride-along at a busy PG house and see for yourself. The door is always open.

Edited by SageVigiles
AFS1970, Westfield12 and CFI609D like this

One was my closest friends is from pg county,he got me to go down there, besides the brothers I work with, they are some of the best firemen I've seen

Westfield12 likes this

I rode in PG 20 years ago. The bashing was the same then. It always will be. The vollies there along with the career jakes that give a damn, are very aggressive in every aspect of fire rescue and EMS services. They train hard, drive fast, ladder every window, every side, and truly attack incidents. Not everyone agrees with this and that is fine. The fact of the matter is, that PG county sees more fire and wrecks than most in our country, and at least while I was around the injury rate as tame comparably. I think what most people really don't like is that hey look at me I'm doing this well attitude that is presented.

SageVigiles likes this

Ah yes the Kentland 33 yahoo's. Not surprised this happened to them. Only a matter of time. They are a bit too unprofessional for anyone's tastes. I have met firemen from around the country and world, both career and volunteer, and no one can hold a candle to how these guys run. We are all Type A personalities and cocky but look at how these guys present themselves. "We are better then you" "Busiest company in the country" That's all nice and cute but every time the run totals come out they seem to not be the top guys. hmmm.

There is this story

Yeah, "BMA", I agree, keyboard commando.

Westfield12 and bigrig77 like this

I guess they parked in a bad spot and didn't react to changing conditions fast enough. Somewhere there is an apparatus salesman doing the happy dance.

dwcfireman likes this

I guess they parked in a bad spot and didn't react to changing conditions fast enough. Somewhere there is an apparatus salesman doing the happy dance.

or you could read the press release by Company 33 and see what really happened. They parked where their SOPs said to and couldn't react to the changing conditions because their members were literally in the fire.

or you could read the press release by Company 33 and see what really happened. They parked where their SOPs said to and couldn't react to the changing conditions because their members were literally in the fire.

SOP's are just that "standard" (and I read their press release). When this stopped being standard, they were in a bad spot and couldn't/didn't react fast enough to the changing conditions. It's not a criticism, it's merely a statement.

Edited by Dinosaur
SRS131EMTFF likes this