Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY hosting citywide ‘Open House’ for 150th anniversary

13 posts in this topic

The FDNY is planning to celebrate its 150th anniversary by holding a citywide “Open House,” The Post has learned.

Every firehouse and many EMS stations will open their world-famous doors to the public for two hours, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 2

http://nypost.com/2015/04/19/fdny-hosting-citywide-open-house-for-150th-anniversary/

Westfield12 likes this

I don't think the guy really is a probie. The article takes their information of the FDNY Rant forum (not unlike this one) and people who have few posts are listed as probies, then FF First Class, etc. as you post more.

http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/board/12/kitchen

Edited by mfc2257
Westfield12 likes this

I had the pleasure of visiting E54/L4 and B9. Great guys very friendly. As was most stations, i did say most.

Westfield12 likes this

I had the pleasure of visiting E54/L4 and B9. Great guys very friendly. As was most stations, i did say most.

Trains stop at "Stations", we work in fireHOUSES ;)

If you had a poor experience at any of the shops you visited, that's a shame. Remember, ya never know what kinda day they were having and sometimes the revolving door of visitors is hard to deal with. I'm not regularly assigned to work in Midtown, but I have on occasion and while everyone's happy to chat and entertain visitors, it's hard to get other work done and sometimes it's overwhelming.

I'm not trying to dissuade visitors, we welcome it. Shame there was a bad experience, ya just never know how that day was going...

As for the NYPost article, correct, the member quoted was not a "Probie". The NYPost, journalistic beacon of integrity, took some posts from the "FDNYRant" (which is the worst thing ever) for that article and called them "quotes".

All in all, some guys are not happy with the Open House, and I understand it, but it's a couple of hours for some positive PR on a Saturday. We'll live.

Best way to get into a house that might otherwise be too busy for visitors? Knock with your elbows. Haven't met a crew of firemen yet that was too busy for a box of cannoli.

Edited by SageVigiles
AFS1970, M' Ave, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

Met some of the guys at E54/L4 and L8. Awesome experience. I tried to meet some of the guys at Ten House and was met by some resistance. I'm sure every house is different, but I'd have to say most of the FDNY firefighters are awesome guys to talk to. I've randomly run into L5 and HM1 on lunch breaks and they were more than happy to shoot the crap. I'd love to see the inside of a lot of the houses!

SageVigiles likes this

Guy pictured is not a probie. He has 8 years on the job. That happens to be my firehouse pictures

Met some of the guys at E54/L4 and L8. Awesome experience. I tried to meet some of the guys at Ten House and was met by some resistance.

Ten House is a really special circumstance. I've worked there once or twice as a detail. Great guys, had a great tour there recently.

Here's the deal....that firehouse is a living memorial, a tourist destination and certainly highly visable. It's hard to even respond on alarms from there. The moment the door go up, they're mobbed. They have to put signs out telling people not to cross the apparatus door threshold. They have to use ropes to stop sidwalk traffic to pull out.

It's a revolving door and I'm sure that it can be too much at times.

**To anyone visitng NYC and planning to visit a firehouse:

Please visit us! We're happy to chat, talk a little shop and maybe give a quick tour. However, if you're in the know, (and you are 'cause you're on this site) visit off the beaten path a bit. Give the guys in Times Square and The World Trade Center a break if you can.

Please visit us! We're happy to chat, talk a little shop and maybe give a quick tour. However, if you're in the know, (and you are 'cause you're on this site) visit off the beaten path a bit. Give the guys in Times Square and The World Trade Center a break if you can.

Not that M' Ave needs someone to back up his statements, but in my experience this is 100% true. Some of the most welcoming houses I've visited were in completely off-the-path areas of Brooklyn and Da' Bronx, simply because they aren't easy to get to, and they appreciate the effort and attention. I still BS now and then with a few of the guys I met in Brooklyn a year or two ago.

M' Ave likes this

I was in a bar talking to a friend whom I had met when he and his family visited my firehouse several years earlier. As we talked, we were approached by 4 drunk guys who said they were "firefighters from London Fire Brigade here on holiday". They had overheard us talking, realized I was a Firefighter, and wanted to know if my firehouse was close by so they could visit. I said "no problem, the firehouse (not mine) is at 48th and 8th" (54 Engine/Ladder 4). I even told them to specifically ask for my friend, Steve, who was working. Out of the bar they stumbled and a 1/2 hour later I got a not-so-nice text from Steve telling me what he thought of me sending the guys for their "visit". I thought it was funny.

Thanks tsull. I think I was working for that

Edited by goon16
M' Ave likes this

Here's the deal....that firehouse is a living memorial, a tourist destination and certainly highly visable. It's hard to even respond on alarms from there. The moment the door go up, they're mobbed. They have to put signs out telling people not to cross the apparatus door threshold. They have to use ropes to stop sidwalk traffic to pull out.

I understand completely. Ten House is the Mecca of the firefighting world due to the event that unfolded on its doorstep. I don't blame them for the ropes and for the chaos that happens around them daily. I really don't even care to see the inside for the house, I just want to look at the rigs like every other buff in this great nation. Those guys saw Hell unleash (literally) in front of them. It just sucks that they are so overwhelmed by John Q. Public that they can't spare the extra moments for those of us that actually care and want to have a real conversation with them. I'm sure if I went there when the tourists are at a lull I'll have better luck....then again, there's so many f---ing tourists there!

M' Ave likes this