x635

Pierce Introduces New 107' Single Axle Steel Rearmount Ladder "Ascendant"

19 posts in this topic

This could be a game changer. I know that this would fit a lot of departments very well.

http://www.piercemfg.com/Ascendant

Behold the new Ascendant 107’ steel aerial ladder from Pierce. With 107’ vertical height and 100’ horizontal reach on a single rear axle, it’s brilliantly designed and engineered to give you more capabilities with no sacrifice in water capacity, performance or safety. You refuse to compromise. And so do we.post-11-0-95001400-1429829156.jpg

http://www.piercemfg.com/Ascendant

Westfield12 likes this

This could be a game changer. I know that this would fit a lot of departments very well.

I know a number of fire stations and metro north railroad bridges that it will not fit under

Westfield12 and TBarnum like this

Scrap the water and pump and this thing can sit lower to the ground. If that happens it will be a compelling option for many departments.

AFS1970 and Westfield12 like this

I just checked all the RR bridges in Stamford, it would clear them all, and by more than a foot on all but one. I think Darien might be another story, they have a couple of low ones. Welcome to New England.

Westfield12 likes this

Interesting but I think I'll reserve judgement for a bit. 100 ft HD on single axle with pump and tank is a feat in itself, but the jack stance shown shows one set of outriggers and a down jack to the rear of the torque box? Innovative? Maybe, but those things that seem to good to be true, often are. What does lifting the torque box and rear of the truck do to the frame and suspension forward of the outriggers? Seems like a lot of weight being transferred to the front axle and suspension, I'd worry about long-term costs. Then again, maybe the outriggers are forward enough to minimize this? But wouldn't there be a stress point between those jacks and the cab?

Edited by antiquefirelt
Westfield12 likes this

Scrap the water and pump and this thing can sit lower to the ground. If that happens it will be a compelling option for many departments.

While I agree with making it a truck. Removing the water and pump wont change its height. On a rear mount, that's dictated by the cab and rail height.

We bought a rear mount ladder with no tank or pump 2 years ago. We had a max height of 11' 2" and Peirce told us they can't build that low in a rear mount.

Westfield12 and AFS1970 like this

All Pretty standard except:

Equipment

2500 lb - " This wont take long to exceed "

Specifications

Custom Chassis Choices

Arrow XT™, Enforcer™, Impel® or Velocity®

Engine

Detroit Diesel DD13, Cummins ISX 12 or ISL

Tank

500 gallons

Stabilizers

Single set of outriggers & one downrigger

Jack Spread

18’ / 13’ short-jacked

Rear Axle Suspension

Single

Equipment

2500 lb

Overall Apparatus Length

39'2"

Overall Apparatus Height

11'5"

Collision Avoidance

Standard

Multiplexed

Yes

Read the fine print.....

Stay Safe.

Westfield12 likes this

The big question is why is it so important to get rid of the dual axle?

Is it because your drivers have trouble driving it....that's a training issue

Is it because your station can not fit a 42' long truck? Maybe its time to modify the station.

What about ground ladders: When you shorten the body, you limit the length of ground ladders. No 45 footers and your 35 footer must be a 3 section which is heavy and will force out another ladder slot.

It says 115' of ground ladders:

35' Extension

24' Extension

14' Extension

18' Roof

14' Roof

10' Attic

That's not a truck company. Our E-25 carries

35' Extension

24' Extension

14' Roof

10' Attic

20' Little Giant.

That's only 12 feet less.

All Pretty standard except:

Equipment

2500 lb - " This wont take long to exceed "

This is the one part I don't like about it. If you run a department that only runs 2 or 3 rigs, you're more than definitely going run into this issue.

I think this is being marketed towards larger departments in more urban/suburban areas with housing developments and sprawling shopping centers (think of cities like Houston or Raleigh whose suburbs seem to spread out forever). The single axle makes it easier to drive (tighter turning radius), yet still allows you to retain the longer stick to make those long reaches from the road. I can only think of a few areas in Westchester where this set up would work perfectly (for example, most of Greenburgh), and like Barry said, the whole bridge thing is going to be a problem with both the train overpasses and bridges over parkways.

Otherwise, looks nice, it's a great concept, and I'll like it until I get to play with one lol.

I see this is a old thread and in just seeing this for first time. Sorry I admit I am one of those that doesn't check this site as often as I once did.

Something all of you didn't mention is that there are a few single axis ladder trucks in Westchester. Mostly in southern Westchester. Mount Vernon has one that I know of. Town of Mamaroneck if I am correct and Rye has 2. Rye is no higher then 10ft due to low bridges. Single axis helps with turns on tight streets especially turn out of the stations.

Obviously non of them are quints but are single axel trucks

Something all of you didn't mention is that there are a few single axis ladder trucks in Westchester. Mostly in southern Westchester. Mount Vernon has one that I know of. Town of Mamaroneck if I am correct and Rye has 2. Rye is no higher then 10ft due to low bridges. Single axis helps with turns on tight streets especially turn out of the stations.

Obviously non of them are quints but are single axel trucks

There are several departments in Westchester that operate single axle Quints.

North White Plains Ladder 47, Greenville Ladder 4, Croton Falls Ladder 68 (Former Ardsley Quint 1/Ladder 50), Chappaqua FD Tower Ladder 27, Hawthorne FD Ladder 56, Katonah FD Ladder 39, Millwood FD Ladder 52, Lake Mohegan FD Ladder 10, Rye Brook Ladder 30, and Somers FD Ladder 48 are the departments in Westchester that operate single axle quints.

New Rochelle FD Ladder 12 also used to be a single axle quint, and is now in service with the WCDES Fire Training Center. Mamaroneck FD Ladder 19 also has a single rear axle, but is not a quint, as is Mount Vernon Ladder 2, Rye FD Ladder 25 and Ladder 26 and Scarsdale FD Tower Ladder 29. Pelham Manor Tower Ladder 3 also has a single rear axle Aerialscope.

Pierce will be introducing the Ascendant at the upcoming FDIC without a pump, in a traditional ladder truck configuration

post-11-0-87723200-1454959840.jpg

(Source: GlickFire.com)

FDNY 10-75 and Westfield12 like this

There are several departments in Westchester that operate single axle Quints.

North White Plains Ladder 47, Greenville Ladder 4, Croton Falls Ladder 68 (Former Ardsley Quint 1/Ladder 50), Chappaqua FD Tower Ladder 27, Hawthorne FD Ladder 56, Katonah FD Ladder 39, Millwood FD Ladder 52, Lake Mohegan FD Ladder 10, Rye Brook Ladder 30, and Somers FD Ladder 48 are the departments in Westchester that operate single axle quints.

New Rochelle FD Ladder 12 also used to be a single axle quint, and is now in service with the WCDES Fire Training Center. Mamaroneck FD Ladder 19 also has a single rear axle, but is not a quint, as is Mount Vernon Ladder 2, Rye FD Ladder 25 and Ladder 26 and Scarsdale FD Tower Ladder 29. Pelham Manor Tower Ladder 3 also has a single rear axle Aerialscope.

Elmsford?Quint single axle

Even though I'm liking the E-One Metro more and more......

Pierce Ascendant 107-Foot Single Rear Axle Ladder Is The Most Popular New Aerial In Company History

http://www.piercemfg.com/Pierce/News/2016/March/Ascendant-107-Foot-Single-Rear-Axle-Ladder-Is-Most-Popular-New-Aerial-In-Company-History

Westfield12 and vodoly like this