Dinosaur

Shawangunk Forest Fire

8 posts in this topic

This is definitely one of the largest fires in our area and things happening for the first time are worth noting.

Fire is almost 5 miles long, burning almost 2500 acres or about 5 square miles, and is only about 75% contained. The NYS Incident Management Team (IMT) is managing the fire with NYS DEC and for the first time in NYS history, fixed-wing air tankers from Canada are being used to drop water with the NYS Police helicopters that have been operating already. Homes have been evacuated and roads closed.

Crews from around the region are being called in to help fight it on the ground and, depending on weather, it may be fully contained this week.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150505/NEWS/150509715

http://www.recordonline.com/photogallery/TH/20150505/NEWS/505009998/PH/73_169_629_2320_2330_1004088

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150503/NEWS/150509814

Capejake72 and BFD1054 like this

I have a question about crews going to this fire. Perhaps some of you still active and in that area can help me out.

Are crews going for just the day or is the mobilization and mutual aid like the SEFU units - a 3 day assignment?

Do enough crews have wildfire PPE or are they getting that at the fire?

How many FF constitute a crew for this assignment?

Thanks for the info!

Local fire dept crews are going mutual aid there doing 12 hour shifts. A brush truck with a crew. I heave not heard a # to determine what a crew is.

Upstate news out of Albany showed a crew of 2 from Cairo [Green County ] with brush truck

Orange County 911 had been putting out pages for any departments that could supply brush equipment and at least 2 firefighters.

Do enough crews have wildfire PPE or are they getting that at the fire?

They never checked for PPE, I was there for 12 hours on day 4 and had guys deployed in my division wearing baseball caps for head protection and everything from jeans to structural pants complete with a hardware store and bailout system.

Heard a member was hurt at in a ATV/UTV accident today near drop point 1, Cox Rd & Rt. 52. A medivac was requested but then cancelled.

They never checked for PPE, I was there for 12 hours on day 4 and had guys deployed in my division wearing baseball caps for head protection and everything from jeans to structural pants complete with a hardware store and bailout system.

Heard a member was hurt at in a ATV/UTV accident today near drop point 1, Cox Rd & Rt. 52. A medivac was requested but then cancelled.

He was okay. Just some cuts and bruises and a broken nose.

Edited by ff12435
201/65 likes this