Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Volvo Fire Engine

11 posts in this topic

One of the coolest looking trucks on display at the NYS Fire Chiefs Expo and a very cool truck overall.....a 2015 Volvo chassis, with a Volvo built body, for the Volvo Truck Plant Fire Brigade in Virginia

One of the coolest looking trucks on display at the NYS Fire Chiefs Expo.....a 2015 Volvo chassis, with a Volvo built body, for the Volvo Truck Plant Fire Brigade in Virginia.

43ft Long
2000GPM
2500 Gallons
Seating for seven firefighters

Note this truck is one of a kind, and was built in house by Volvo Trucks New River Valley VA plant.

post-11-0-15347700-1434682176.jpg

post-11-0-17728700-1434682177.jpg

post-11-0-92785100-1434682177.jpg

post-11-0-76638200-1434682178.jpg

Westfield12 and fire2141 like this

Looks cool, but I'll bet it wouldn't clear a lot of railroad bridges in my area. Do step stools/ little Giants come standard?

The ladders and soft suction look like they could be a real joy to takedown/ replace. Would probably need the technical rescue equipment to do this.

Just kidding but to the Volvo team good luck with the vehicle.

Great shots.

Don't see a porta tank or discharges, so wondering about the tanker designation. Did you get any shots of the interior?

Westfield12 likes this

The cool part about this, I forgot to mention, is that Volvo doesn't build fire trucks. This is one of a kind. The employees, many of which are volunteer firefighters, imagined, designed and built this truck using the skills of the employees and resources at the plant to build a truck, again completely in house, to meet the very specific needs of the in house brigade, yet still be able to serve the surrounding community. This plant, which builds Volvo's Class 8 Heavy Duty Vocational Truck chassis line, is located in a rural area in the mountains of Southwest Virginia (Dublin, VA - New River Valley). They have over 2,850 truck builders at the plant.

Among some of the specs: Volvo D13 500 horsepower engine, Volvo I-Shift transmission, 43 feet long, 7 man cab, 2000GPM pump, 2500 gallon tank, 360 degree high flow deck gun, fully foam capable, 4000 watt generator, 1000 feet hose

"Volvo Trucks NRV Plant Fire Brigade, registered as Volvo Technical Rescue Team, is certified in the Commonwealth of VA for high angle rescue, confined space rescue, and industrial firefighting. Tanker 33 is registered under a regional mutual aid agreement and meets all state mandated requirements"

The ladders and soft suction look like they could be a real joy to takedown/ replace.

They are on Zico hydraulic racks, so they lower down to ground level at the flip of a switch.

Don't see a porta tank or discharges, so wondering about the tanker designation. Did you get any shots of the interior?

There is a chute behind the rear compartment roll up door. It's more designed to carry a lot of water for industrial firefighting/self sufficiency but can respond mutual aid as a tanker.

Here's a photo of the crew cab:

post-11-0-79427700-1434764645.jpg

Capejake72 and Westfield12 like this

My area in GA (Savannah) was short listed for the new Volvo car plant to be built but they opted for SC outside Charleston. I wonder if they will duplicate this truck if they have a similar

brigade at the new auto plant.

We often overlook the industrial fire departments and their capabilities. Sikorsky in Stratford has quite a dept including some boats as their take-off/landing areas are adjacent to the Housatonic River.

Tarrytown Utility 61 is technically a Volvo fire truck. However, it did get its start as a cop truck, and it doesn't have a pump.

Cool find though.

Edited by SageVigiles
Westfield12 likes this

Great shots Seth, we checked it out and it should help serve the Volvo company and their insight to help most of their employees by offering the rig to respond outside their plant is very generous indeed, some very forward thinking by the management team as the plant has employees that come from 3 states, as a fire brigade that's a nice piece to have at a nearby chief disposal even if it's just for the water

Westfield12 likes this

The cool part about this, I forgot to mention, is that Volvo doesn't build fire trucks. This is one of a kind. The employees, many of which are volunteer firefighters, imagined, designed and built this truck using the skills of the employees and resources at the plant to build a truck, again completely in house, to meet the very specific needs of the in house brigade, yet still be able to serve the surrounding community. This plant, which builds Volvo's Class 8 Heavy Duty Vocational Truck chassis line, is located in a rural area in the mountains of Southwest Virginia (Dublin, VA - New River Valley). They have over 2,850 truck builders at the plant.

Among some of the specs: Volvo D13 500 horsepower engine, Volvo I-Shift transmission, 43 feet long, 7 man cab, 2000GPM pump, 2500 gallon tank, 360 degree high flow deck gun, fully foam capable, 4000 watt generator, 1000 feet hose

"Volvo Trucks NRV Plant Fire Brigade, registered as Volvo Technical Rescue Team, is certified in the Commonwealth of VA for high angle rescue, confined space rescue, and industrial firefighting. Tanker 33 is registered under a regional mutual aid agreement and meets all state mandated requirements"

They are on Zico hydraulic racks, so they lower down to ground level at the flip of a switch.

There is a chute behind the rear compartment roll up door. It's more designed to carry a lot of water for industrial firefighting/self sufficiency but can respond mutual aid as a tanker.

Here's a photo of the crew cab:

attachicon.gifvolvo6.jpg

Although Volvo doesn't build fire apparatus, I could see departments that might want to buy a Volvo chassis after seeing this unit. It's surely a beast!

Westfield12 likes this

Very nice looking rig...the key here being nice looking. That thing would be a b!tch from a practical standpoint for working a fire....my God you'll get a nosebleed or a broken ankle trying to stretch a line. And while it might be serviceable (barely) in an industrial setting the sad fact is alot of municipalities are trying to outfit their FDs using the same ''one rig does it all" concept and it simply doesn't work. Bigger isn't better and whatever is saved in dollars is lost in practicality where it matters...on the fireground.

Edited by FFPCogs
AFS1970, SageVigiles and x4093k like this

I dig the rear seating in the cab. Really neat layout. Thought not exactly on the side of safety considering they are facing sideways. I still like it. Pretty beast of a truck. I think it would've been cool if they had used one of their cab-over styles and custom built it to be a fire apparatus style. lol