x635

Photos From The Greenville Multiple Alarm 9-27-15

20 posts in this topic

Greenville Fire District
9-27-15
Underhill Rd & Sprain Rd
Multiple Alarm Fire In A Nursery/Garden Center
Fire involves a large wood frame barn used for garden center...
Numerous mutual aid units including Yonkers, Fairview, and Hartsdale on scene

post-11-0-98502800-1443407929.jpg

post-11-0-04091200-1443407931.jpg

post-11-0-86757700-1443407931.jpg

post-11-0-67615800-1443407932.jpg

post-11-0-44820800-1443407933.jpg

post-11-0-77084000-1443407934.jpg

post-11-0-66138200-1443407935.jpg

post-11-0-01959300-1443407937.jpg

Westfield12, M' Ave and FDNY 10-75 like this

Nothing looks worse than flowing the ladder pipe like that. I hope there was a reason.

Nothing looks worse than flowing the ladder pipe like that. I hope there was a reason.

Hydrants in the area were not cooperating. They had to lay in LDH from Central Ave down Underhill Rd (where hydrants feed off of a large high pressure water main) and relay pump to the scene.

Some photos of the aftermath of yesterday's multiple alarm fire in Greenville. Daisy, WCPD's Arson Dog, is on the scene investigating.

post-11-0-39723000-1443477235.jpg

post-11-0-75459100-1443477237.jpg

post-11-0-58290900-1443477239.jpg

Was talking about the water flowing from the second fly and not the tip.

This garden has been closed for a couple of years now and has had a fire before in December 2014.

It was still opened. It wasn't not closed. Even on the news cast on Monday morning they said they would be staying open to come in and buy some Mums.

abcxyz likes this

Some pre-piped waterways don't extend the full height...not sure why, but I've seen this.

After watching that short video ...I can see why the building burned to the ground.

And a video from the Greenville Fire I shot....

Wow...clearly they had No. Water.

Bad spot for a surround and drown while trying to save exposures....bad hydrants are frustrating!

So, they laid a MILE of LDH, up and down hills....I wonder how the pressure was by the time it got there. You'd need relief just to get guys there to pack all that hose...

I was always under the impression that you could flow water through the ladder pipe regardless if it's in the rescue (2nd fly) or waterway (tip) locations. I can see that being on the second fly there may be pressure issues or maintenance issues with the pipes being not fully extended, but you can fly the nozzle at the tip without being fully extend.

Does it have something to do with the reaction pressure being mid stick? Or am I missing something here? Honestly, just want to pick your brain if there's something I don't know.

I dont know if there where any issues why it was flowing like that. It has nothing to do with the water pressure. All i know you do that in my job and get ready for a s... Storm. Just looks horrible and unprofessional.

Edited by PHIL78

I dont know if there where any issues why it was flowing like that. It has nothing to do with the water pressure. All i know you do that in my job and get ready for a s... Storm. Just looks horrible and unprofessional.

In the city, we seldom use a ladder pipe, but when we do they always go at the tip. However, and I've never seen Greenville's ladder, but i think it's a prepiped waterway. Some are fixed one fly from the top, it can't exten to the tip. This keeps the tip less cluttered for laddering a buildilng for rescue or entry.

The water may be flowing from where it is designed.

Anyone have a run down of what departments/ units responded to this?

Also do the combination departments in Westchester have a policy against calling volunteer departments for mutual aid? I'd imagine Arsdley would have gotten to this quicker with more manpower than Larchmont or Pelham.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

Anyone have a run down of what departments/ units responded to this?

Also do the combination departments in Westchester have a policy against calling volunteer departments for mutual aid? I'd imagine Arsdley would have gotten to this quicker with more manpower than Larchmont or Pelham.

Original assignment:

Greenville - Sq-15, L-4

Hartsdale - E-171

10-75:

Fairview - E-175

Yonkers - Sq-11, L-70, B-2

White Plains - TL-6

WCDES - Battalion 18

2nd Alarm:

White Plains - E-66

New Rochelle - L-12

Pelham - E-5

Scarsdale - L-28

Relocations:

White Plains - E-66 (redirected to scene on 2nd Alarm)

New Rochelle - L-12 (redirected to scene on 2nd Alarm)

Larchmont - E-34 (redirected to scene on 2nd Alarm)

Pelham Manor - TL-3

Eastchester - E-31

To answer your question, i will let the rundown speak for itself. And you are correct i say the same thing, there are many department's closer than Larchmont or Pelham.

EmsFirePolice and somebuffyguy like this

I have NO idea what lead those departments to set their run cards that way. Some ideas:

-Level of training of members a department sends on a mutual aid response.

-number of members responding on each piece.

I was a volunteer in a town that would go mutual aid into a local city with a career department. They made it quite clear that only members with FF1 and a crew of 3 of said members would be tolerated at their fires. Anything but that and we were sent home.

Could be the same there. Got tired of asking the volunteer departments to meet a standard. Easiest way to deal with the problem is to call departments you KNOW will show up with the right number of trained members.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

I have NO idea what lead those departments to set their run cards that way. Some ideas:

-Level of training of members a department sends on a mutual aid response.

-number of members responding on each piece.

I was a volunteer in a town that would go mutual aid into a local city with a career department. They made it quite clear that only members with FF1 and a crew of 3 of said members would be tolerated at their fires. Anything but that and we were sent home.

Could be the same there. Got tired of asking the volunteer departments to meet a standard. Easiest way to deal with the problem is to call departments you KNOW will show up with the right number of trained members.

There are tons of other threads on this subject of but I think it does boil down to that. There's two disparate classes of training in NYS and absolutely no requirement for the volunteer sector to comply with it so there is no guarantee you're getting apples when you order apples. When a truck of oranges shows up what are you supposed to do?

M' Ave and Newburgher like this

There are tons of other threads on this subject of but I think it does boil down to that. There's two disparate classes of training in NYS and absolutely no requirement for the volunteer sector to comply with it so there is no guarantee you're getting apples when you order apples. When a truck of oranges shows up what are you supposed to do?

What do you do when you call for a department and they send ALL of the career staff on the engine, leaving no one to man the remaining apparatus. Then 5 minutes later a call comes in for their department. No one is in town to cover the call and the call gets given to the neighboring department. Should that department have been called in the first place ? Should they have refused to respond to the mutual aid fire ?

M' Ave likes this

What do you do when you call for a department and they send ALL of the career staff on the engine, leaving no one to man the remaining apparatus. Then 5 minutes later a call comes in for their department. No one is in town to cover the call and the call gets given to the neighboring department. Should that department have been called in the first place ? Should they have refused to respond to the mutual aid fire ?

That's the 64,000 question. We still have no system - in fire or EMS - and we have inadequate career departments, inadequate volunteer departments, and other problems. But without anyone in charge (of anything) admitting we have a problem we are still stuck with the same rut spinning our wheels.

M' Ave likes this