Viper

Sleepy Hollow EMS Refusing To Accept Mutual Aid?

21 posts in this topic

Here's what I heard on the radio:

60 Control repeatedly asking 73-B-2, Sleepy Hollow Ambulance their status, 73-B-2 repeatedly advising awaiting an EMT, an obviously and rightfully frustrated 60 Control dispatcher advising them they are at the 30 minute mark, 73-B-2 still not responding or requesting mutual aid. 5 minutes later, 73-B-2 advised 60 Control per Sleepy Hollow PD, they (Sleepy Hollow PD) are going to be requesting mutual aid, they are going back into quarters. 27 minutes later, Irvington 64-B-2 is on scene. So about an hour for an ambulance to arrive.

What happened there? Maybe I missed the call type. Probably just simply a poorly trained or ignorant member? Why did 73-B-2 wait so long that the PD had to directly request mutual aid? Does a 60 Control dispatcher have authority to override a unit? I would guess no because this dispatcher obviously given his tone would have done so. Sleepy Hollow PD got to override them directly thankfully. 35 minutes 73-B-2 waited for an EMT before they were told to stand down.

#mountpleasantemsproblems

This is all the time. It's a shame the people of Sleepy Hollow do not get the care that they should get. Tarrytown VAC is up there all the time. They should get shut down at best.Peoples lives our on the line.

Isn't Sleepy Hollow VAC paid?

No, they are volunteer with paid EMT's from OVAC working the 7a-7p shift.

Even with a paid EMT from OVAC working, they sometimes still cannot cover their first due calls.

Even with a paid EMT from OVAC working, they sometimes still cannot cover their first due calls.

How is that possible? Do they only have one person on duty? Sounds like a failure to me.

Where's the County EMS Coordinator or State EMS Bureau of any other responsible party in this?

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

How is that possible? Do they only have one person on duty? Sounds like a failure to me.

Where's the County EMS Coordinator or State EMS Bureau of any other responsible party in this?

Just to clarify, this call appears to have occurred after 7:00 p.m., when the career EMT from OVAC had already left, so OVAC isn't really involved in this specific matter.

What can happen sometimes is that a driver might not be available during the 7a-7p to get that paid EMT to the call. The problem ends up being that people aren't around or don't show up to get the bus out.

Most of the membership and officers were at Pleasantville's installation dinner during this call.

Most of the membership and officers were at Pleasantville's installation dinner during this call.

Fail.

What can happen sometimes is that a driver might not be available during the 7a-7p to get that paid EMT to the call. The problem ends up being that people aren't around or don't show up to get the bus out.

Then maybe they should hire the other half of the crew. This is ridiculous.

Does anyone know why they would hold onto the call for so long when they couldn't muster a crew?

INIT915 and nydude2473 like this

Is there a protocol in place that would automatically call for mutual aid after a certain number of pages w/o anyone going in service?

Dinosaur likes this

60 Control has very strict policies on what they can and cannot due according to my understanding. Once a unit signs on for a call that call becomes their responsibility. In this case 73B2 signed on the air and became the "responsible party" to ensure that an ambulance responded to that call and it is out of the hands of the dispatcher. There is a time frame that I am sure someone else can talk about as I cant remember off the top of my head. If a unit hasnt signed on in that time frame then it automatically goes mutual aid. Once someone signs on (73B2 in this case) the clock stops.

x635 and nydude2473 like this

what about the other nights and day calls? this is a on going thing in sleepyhollow stop the excuses .

Does 'signing on' mean that they will handle the call? Here in Monmouth County, we sign on and say that " we are on the ramp, awaiting a crew". The county will continue to tone out until either, a third tone or we are in service. Automatically goes to mutual aid on 3rd set of tones, or if original squad requests mutual aid. Time elapsed between original tone and mutual aid is about 20 minutes, Most squads answer call within 2 alerts. Just wondering as to Westchester protocol.

x635 likes this

It was only for an EDP, not a medical emergency. That can wait shouldn't be going by ambulance anyway.

And the title shouldn't read Sleepy Hollow refusing mutual aid if it was only one call and they didn't refuse anything.

GAW6 likes this

Look, as much as no one likes to do EDP calls, it's still not an excuse to delay service. You don't know what can happen in that time. It can go from a "regular" EDP call to them actually hurting themselves or another and it becoming a medical emergency. Time is always of the essence. We shouldn't be regulating which calls to go on just because it's this kind of call or that kind of call. That happens with the FD's and we see how that ends up hurting morale and efficiency.

INIT915 and x635 like this

As a former member of SHAC. I remember when we would do on the average of about 5 mutal aid calls a week. We would jokingly say our motto was have ambulance, will travel. But I see now times have changed. I no longer live in the area for a while now. But to the person who said it was just an EDP. I hope to god your not a member or an EMT of a Amblance Corp, and God help us if you are an officer. That was the most disgusting and unprofessional thing to say.

Edited by calhobs

It was only for an EDP, not a medical emergency. That can wait shouldn't be going by ambulance anyway.

And the title shouldn't read Sleepy Hollow refusing mutual aid if it was only one call and they didn't refuse anything.

Wow.

x635 likes this

Please don't ever come to treat me or my family with that attitude. "EDP" calls can be drug related, diabetic emergencies, and even if "just" a mental illness they deserve the same level of care as anyone else.

To dismiss a call based on dispatch information is very irresponsible.