Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Mount Vernon FD Staffing Question

16 posts in this topic

Based upon the assignment of FDMV units at yesterdays' multiple alarm fire in the City of Mount Vernon, am I correct in reading that the FDMV is currently only running the following units as front line apparatus:

Engine 3

Engine 4

Engine 5

Engine 6

Ladder 1

Ladder 3

And that Rescue 1 is only manned by Engine 5/Ladder 3 staffing out of the Fulton Avenue Fire Station, on an "As Needed Basis" (which would put either Engine 5 or Ladder 3 out of service, should Rescue 1 be needed)?

And that Engine 2 and Ladder 2 are no longer part of the Front Line staffing (only manned by recalled personnel in the case of a major fire in the City of Mount Vernon.

If this is the case, for a city, whose infrastructure is as 'Old' as the City of Mount Vernon's is, and whose population is as large as it is, this is truly INSANE !!!

nydude2473 likes this

They need to revamp that whole department. It definitely starts from the top down. The way things have been run are what has put the department in the position it sees itself today. I hope that with the new mayor and his hope to put the city on the right track, that that starts with a reboot of the fire department. It's not fair to neighboring communities that their fire service is put out of their jurisdiction for long periods of time to fight a fire in a city, where if they had the right number of manpower and equipment, they could probably handle most of those calls on their own.

FirNaTine and PCFD ENG58 like this

A lot of places with scary staffing out there.

Newburgh is way understaffed.

Plenty of towns near me who staff with two on an engine. Buddy of mine works in California, no different out there.

I'm lucky to work for a town that staffs at 15. Though 10 years ago we had 20.

Elections matter. Get involved!!!

nydude2473, dwcfireman and AFS1970 like this

Based upon the assignment of FDMV units at yesterdays' multiple alarm fire in the City of Mount Vernon, am I correct in reading that the FDMV is currently only running the following units as front line apparatus:

Engine 3

Engine 4

Engine 5

Engine 6

Ladder 1

Ladder 3

And that Rescue 1 is only manned by Engine 5/Ladder 3 staffing out of the Fulton Avenue Fire Station, on an "As Needed Basis" (which would put either Engine 5 or Ladder 3 out of service, should Rescue 1 be needed)?

And that Engine 2 and Ladder 2 are no longer part of the Front Line staffing (only manned by recalled personnel in the case of a major fire in the City of Mount Vernon.

If this is the case, for a city, whose infrastructure is as 'Old' as the City of Mount Vernon's is, and whose population is as large as it is, this is truly INSANE !!!

Yes and you are right it is insane.

Yes and you are right it is insane.

Far cry from the 1970 levels of the FDMV (that Chief Campbell, I am sure could comment on):

Front Line:

Engine 1

Engine 2

Engine 3

Engine 4

Engine 5

Engine 6

Snorkel 1

Truck 2

Truck 3

Rescue 1

Ambulance 1

Foam 1 (used Engine 5 personnel to man in case it was needed)

Spare Engine 7

Spare Truck 4

Rescue 1

I don't see Mount Vernon as ever being properly staffed or equipped.

A large portion of the city is rented, and the property owners don't live in the city. When a structure burns down, it's considered "urban renewal" to the City. Fire Protection has not been a priority for the city for decades. The same problems come up over and over again. When I Google'd articles about Mount Vernon Fire Department in the Journal News/Reporter Dispatch/Daily Argus and NY Times, the same problems just repeat year after year.

It's sad, because there are a lot of guys in Mount Vernon who are passionate about firefighting, and are excellent firefighters. With the right leadership (on the City level), they have enormous potential. But it seems whenever they start getting traction on an issue, something comes up. The negative publicity seems to be endless. The morale is terrible. The stations, equipment, and apparatus are in disrepair. The hiring practices don't ensure the best possible candidate, and a lot of the good ones try to transfer out, or wait patiently for retirement as soon as possible. Guys lose hope that they'll ever be promoted due to politics. With this, they lose talented guys, and the heritage of knowledge and experience that goes with it. The new generation is set up for failure from the moment they walk in the door.

The city doesn't truly care about economic development and the potential the city has, and has failed at every effort to attract real sustainable development , so they'll never have a solid tax base to pay for the aforementioned.

Even with proper funding, excellent leadership, and productive collaboration, these are issues that will take years, if not decades, to repair.

Well, the new Commissioner will be more in touch with the guys....he's got 12 years on the job and went straight from Firefighterto Commissioner.

FirNaTine likes this

Well, the new Commissioner will be more in touch with the guys....he's got 12 years on the job and went straight from Firefighter to Commissioner.

Ridiculous! I've heard him talk before and he really doesn't seem all that put together. Maybe I'm just used to seeing how the FDNY has been doing things lately but shouldn't they put somebody in that role who has more command experience, not just some union guy because he's good with the guys. That role is about leadership and bringing a department to the next level.

It doesn't work in FDNY and didn't work in YFD! Gotta get an outsider to turn that Circus around! Enough with the Nepotism and Political favors! Start promoting individuals based on merit to these Positions!

Well, the new Commissioner will be more in touch with the guys....he's got 12 years on the job and went straight from Firefighterto Commissioner.

It never works! Look what happened in YFD yrs ago!

INIT915 likes this

They need to revamp that whole department. It definitely starts from the top down. The way things have been run are what has put the department in the position it sees itself today. I hope that with the new mayor and his hope to put the city on the right track, that that starts with a reboot of the fire department. It's not fair to neighboring communities that their fire service is put out of their jurisdiction for long periods of time to fight a fire in a city, where if they had the right number of manpower and equipment, they could probably handle most of those calls on their own.

They should start by raising the Standards! Stop hiring so many knuckleheads! Now there's a brilliant idea!

its nothing more then a political joke! doesn't help the FF'S. he sounds like a 5th grader. yonkers did the same with pagano years back. i feel sorry for the guys in mt vernon.

nydude2473 likes this

We had a guy go from the top union spot to commissioner a few commissioners ago. He wasn't that popular but I can't remember ever having a commissioner or union president that was loved. We did have an awesome Chief leave a few years back and go one town north where he wasn't too popular but we got him back. I guess I'm just trying to say is I wouldn't read very heavily into ever gripe you overhear. Even the best leaders need to make unpopular choices every now and then.