NorthEndExpress

Report On The Physical Condition Of Eastchester Station 4

21 posts in this topic

Link to photos and report:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-XOgCD7rTnMdGJxNVFvV2xzZXhuc0xBUHNpZmRCZGhVdVN3/view?usp=sharing

The building has been neglected for far too long and too much needs to be done. They just need to demolish the place and start over which would be much cheaper and faster. You could use the old materials in the new building. No way doing a restoration would fix things. Look at the disaster the repairs on Station 5 turned out to be.

oldschool likes this

Is this a volly house or a career house

I think Eastchester Volunteer Fire Department only exists only on paper now. Used to be a huge volunteer department and that house used to be a volunteer house.

Disaster_Guy likes this

Well if it only exist on paper I wouldn't put any money into the building

Edited by letsgo1547

Station 4 is the home of Engine 30. With that there are two career staff stationed there 24/7. The upstairs is a meeting room where the volunteers as well a various public oginizations hold meetings. The room with the bar etc is the quarters of the Union Corners Engine & Hose Co. Which is the volunteer company quartered in the house. Yes, the volunteers are in a sad state. Would be great to see them rise again. This station is vital to the Chester Heights section of Eastchester in which it is located. New Rochelle road has a very high traffic level which would slow Eng 27 coming from the center of town or Eng 29 coming from Bronxville. this firehouse provides quick response for EMS and all fire emergencies to Chester Heights.

Station 4 is the home of Engine 30. With that there are two career staff stationed there 24/7. The upstairs is a meeting room where the volunteers as well a various public oginizations hold meetings. The room with the bar etc is the quarters of the Union Corners Engine & Hose Co. Which is the volunteer company quartered in the house. Yes, the volunteers are in a sad state. Would be great to see them rise again. This station is vital to the Chester Heights section of Eastchester in which it is located. New Rochelle road has a very high traffic level which would slow Eng 27 coming from the center of town or Eng 29 coming from Bronxville. this firehouse provides quick response for EMS and all fire emergencies to Chester Heights.

Yes, I have also heard that there are issues with the Volunteer FF's in Eastchester, with allot of 'Smoke' (excuse the pun) coming from within the Eastchester Board of Fire Commissioners concerning the Volunteers. Would be nice for these 2 factions (Volunteers and the EBOFC) within the Eastchester Fire Department, to be able to resolve their issues/disputes, to allow for the Volunteer Side of the Department, to once again, 'compliment' the Paid Side of the Department (as it was years ago), and then, possibly, the FDMV (Mount Vernon) could learn a thing or two on how to utilize a Volunteer Staff to suppliment the Paid Staff (instead of always calling on Mutual Aid).

Watching Winters and Lore go at it, each and every Board Meeting, on TV, is like watching a WWE Championship Wrestling Match - LOL : )

ptwatson and buff74 like this

Didn't it take them two years to replace the floor at Station 5? Where would Engine 30 be stationed in the meantime? Outside in the elements? I don't think renting an old warehouse is a viable option in Chester Heights.

Link to photos and report:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-XOgCD7rTnMdGJxNVFvV2xzZXhuc0xBUHNpZmRCZGhVdVN3/view?usp=sharing

The building has been neglected for far too long and too much needs to be done. They just need to demolish the place and start over which would be much cheaper and faster. You could use the old materials in the new building. No way doing a restoration would fix things. Look at the disaster the repairs on Station 5 turned out to be.

Very true.....It is well past the point of repair. It would be a very expensive restoration and take much time to do it right. Station 5 was a joke because there were too many cooks in the kitchen and most of them didn't know how to boil water or make ice cubes!

x635 likes this

Is this a volly house or a career house

All 5 stations are career and have been since the 1920's. There is, or was no such thing as a "volley" house.

x635 likes this

Eastchester? More like a station in East Bum Fk.

??? I don't understand what that means. Station 4 borders the City of New Rochelle and the City of Mt. Vernon. As well as responding on the Cross County Parkway and Hutch practically everyday. Even if it is the slowest engine in the district(600 runs?), I can bet it goes on more runs than half of these upper county engines combined. East Bum F*** to me is like South Salem or Bedford or Croton Falls.

fdalumnus, lemonice and x635 like this

I think Eastchester Volunteer Fire Department only exists only on paper now. Used to be a huge volunteer department and that house used to be a volunteer house.

Exactly.....only on paper.......all houses had a company room....most are gone.....there was never a "volley" house though.

x635 and lemonice like this

Yes, I have also heard that there are issues with the Volunteer FF's in Eastchester, with allot of 'Smoke' (excuse the pun) coming from within the Eastchester Board of Fire Commissioners concerning the Volunteers. Would be nice for these 2 factions (Volunteers and the EBOFC) within the Eastchester Fire Department, to be able to resolve their issues/disputes, to allow for the Volunteer Side of the Department, to once again, 'compliment' the Paid Side of the Department (as it was years ago), and then, possibly, the FDMV (Mount Vernon) could learn a thing or two on how to utilize a Volunteer Staff to suppliment the Paid Staff (instead of always calling on Mutual Aid).

Watching Winters and Lore go at it, each and every Board Meeting, on TV, is like watching a WWE Championship Wrestling Match - LOL : )

The issue with the volunteers is the fact that there are no more volunteers. I highly doubt you will see any volunteers "complimenting" the career members in Eastchester and certainly not in Mt. Vernon, ever again. I don't personally watch the meetings because of what you stated. It's a joke.

lemonice likes this

Didn't it take them two years to replace the floor at Station 5? Where would Engine 30 be stationed in the meantime? Outside in the elements? I don't think renting an old warehouse is a viable option in Chester Heights.

Don't even waste your time trying to figure out logistics of who, what, when and where. No one plays nicely in the sandbox. It will be quite some time before anyone agrees on anything.

fdalumnus and lemonice like this

??? I don't understand what that means. Station 4 borders the City of New Rochelle and the City of Mt. Vernon. As well as responding on the Cross County Parkway and Hutch practically everyday. Even if it is the slowest engine in the district(600 runs?), I can bet it goes on more runs than half of these upper county engines combined. East Bum F*** to me is like South Salem or Bedford or Croton Falls.

What I meant was that you would expect a firehouse in this condition to be in a part of the country where resources (money) is very hard to come by. You know, where departments depend on pancake breakfasts, bake sales and spaghetti dinners to fund themselves. It's not about call volume. This appears to be a firehouse that hasn't even had basic maintenance for years. The fact that it is still viable at all is a testament to how well it was originally built. It's a shame that a classic Tudor building like this has been allowed to deteriorate to the point of major reconstruction or tear down and start over.

Again, one has to ask, where does all the money go?

Doc Holliday and nydude2473 like this

What I meant was that you would expect a firehouse in this condition to be in a part of the country where resources (money) is very hard to come by. You know, where departments depend on pancake breakfasts, bake sales and spaghetti dinners to fund themselves. It's not about call volume. This appears to be a firehouse that hasn't even had basic maintenance for years. The fact that it is still viable at all is a testament to how well it was originally built. It's a shame that a classic Tudor building like this has been allowed to deteriorate to the point of major reconstruction or tear down and start over.

Again, one has to ask, where does all the money go?

Now I can understand what you mean! Excellent post! Exactly on point! Complete neglect.

Im surprised they don't have a Ladder down there? Would one fit and did they ever have one? Wheres the first due Truck come from anyway seems like it would be a haul no? Ive seen a few multiple dwellings down in that area, hate to see someone hanging from an upper floor window at 3am and only an Engine pull up with 2 guys Jesus!

nearest truck is Ladder 16 from Tuckahoe station

Im surprised they don't have a Ladder down there? Would one fit and did they ever have one? Wheres the first due Truck come from anyway seems like it would be a haul no? Ive seen a few multiple dwellings down in that area, hate to see someone hanging from an upper floor window at 3am and only an Engine pull up with 2 guys Jesus!

New Rochelle Ladder 13 and Pelham Ladder 2 are much closer, with Mount Vernon's Ladder 2 not much further, but that is another conversation