x635

Firefighters Compass

3 posts in this topic

Interesting concept. It's only on Kickstarter for now though. If I was a Shark on ABC's "Shark Tank" I would say this has great licensing potential.

The Northern Star was designed by firefighters for firefighters. With durability and reliability in mind, the Northern Star serves as a small 8-directional compass to guide firefighters in conditions with low visibility. Through the use of accelerometers and gyroscopes, a powerful lithium battery makes the Northern Star a firefighter-friendly device that adds a level of personal safety for our fire service personnel. Whether a firefighter needs to escape a dangerous environment or just needs to navigate to the ‘Bravo’ side of the structure, the Northern Star will help guide the firefighter.

https://northernstarfire.com/

EmsFirePolice likes this

Awaiting more study o the idea. I'm not a fan of using compass bearings in any way. Noting to yourself in which direction you were travelling when you entered then requires you to correlate that direction with the known labelled side, I can see more trouble than good. A more advanced version that let you orient the "compass" to side Alpha or One before entering would then let you proceed in that direction with the labels in the unit being 1-4 or A-D?

Edited by antiquefirelt
Capejake72 likes this

How would you integrate directional labels into the IC structure? And you'd have to teach firefighters how to use a compass I would guess.