x635

Mount Kisco DPW Workers Make Heroic Rescue From Fire

4 posts in this topic

MOUNT KISCO - Wednesday's deadly fire at a village home appears to have been caused by a candle that either was knocked over or fell over in the basement.

................The woman was rescued by village workers picking up recycling, who ran into the home. Other residents of the house, a family of three and the female homeowner, got out unharmed, but firefighters from several area departments were unable to get to Reyes-Rosario in time.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/mount-kisco/2016/01/21/mount-kisco-fire-cause/79126236/

Kudos to the DPW workers who likely stopped this fire from becoming a further tragedy.

As a DPW worker myself, I can say that we are all too often the eyes and ears of the communities in which we work. I have personally observed incidents that required fire, police or medical attention. My fellow workers and I have helped on countless occasions during residents times of need.

It is quite common (in my experience) that DPW employees happen to be volunteer firefighters, EMTs or both. That being said, we are on many occasions, the true first responders. Even my fellow workers who have no emergency services backgrounds have been there to lend a helping hand to a person in need. I believe most DPW workers have a strong sense of community pride and it shows.

Again, hats off to the Mount Kisco DPW crew who happened upon this fire and put their lives on the line for the Village!

AFS1970, x635, E106MKFD and 4 others like this

Great work by DPW showed great bravery and intuition, however this event shows the continued danger of questionable apartments , a seemingly endless problem in the metro area. Further underlined by the anniversary of FDNY Black Sunday this week, which had illegal occupancies as the root cause of the tragedy and illustrated that illegal dwelling units are not only a danger to occupants but firefighters also.

E106MKFD, fdalumnus and x635 like this