BFD389RET

Bridgeport CT Firefighter CPAT Test 2016

9 posts in this topic

"As of today, (1/29/16) the first step in the process to become a Bridgeport Firefighter is to register for the CPAT (Candidate Physical Agility Test) with the State of CT by the deadline of February 25, 2016.

If you are not registered by this date, you will not be allowed to participate in the testing process. The cost to register is $150. There are up to 200 scholarships available to cover this cost for Bridgeport Residents.

Applications for these scholarships are available at the City of Bridgeport Civil Service Office.

Please contact the Firebird Society at (203) 331-1297 if you have any questions regarding the process.

Good luck with your pursuit of becoming a Bridgeport Firefighter.

Darrien L. Penix
President, Firebird Society"

post-20741-0-58029600-1454102355.jpg

x635 likes this

Besides being a resident of Bridgeport, I wonder what some of the other requirements are to be eligible to receive that $150.00 scholarship used for the cost of taking the test ? Who will be deciding which candidate receives this funding ? That's a nice total of $30,000 to give away to some 200 hopefuls.

I know if I was taking the test and a city resident, I'd be calling that phone number posted, (203) 331-1297, asking "how can I get that $150.00" ? What are the requirements ? Who will decide who gets this money ? What happens if I don't pass this test ? Are veterans given preference ? College grads given preference ?

These are some of the questions that anyone has a right to ask. Hopefully, some of these answers will be posted in writing.

For those who don't know, Bridgeport is the largest city in Connecticut with a population of about 145,000. The city has 9 Engine Cos, 4 Ladder Cos, and 1 Heavy Rescue Co. Also 2 Battalion Chiefs and 1 Safety Officer covers the city around the clock.

x635 likes this

Some additional information pertaining to this up coming Bridgeport (Ct) Firefighters Exam that you may want to consider.

1) City of Bridgeport residents will receive 15.00 additional points added to their final score.

2) As I understand it, paid insurance is no longer offered as retiree benefits.

3) The Firebird Society, which is offering the $150.00 scholarship, is an organization designed to assist one particular group of minorities.

Some additional information pertaining to this up coming Bridgeport (Ct) Firefighters Exam that you may want to consider.

1) City of Bridgeport residents will receive 15.00 additional points added to their final score.

3) The Firebird Society, which is offering the $150.00 scholarship, is an organization designed to assist one particular group of minorities.

True, true and also true

nfd2004 likes this

So their version of the Vulcan Society. Do they have the same political influence as their counterparts in Westchester and NYC?

If you want to know how much influence these guys have google "Earl King Jr" . He got on the job despite doing time for being the getaway driver involved in the murder of a young mother and her 8 year old son .

AFS1970 and nfd2004 like this

somebuffyguy, on 30 Jan 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:somebuffyguy, on 30 Jan 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:somebuffyguy, on 30 Jan 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

If you want to know how much influence these guys have google "Earl King Jr" . He got on the job despite doing time for being the getaway driver involved in the murder of a young mother and her 8 year old son

Above quote from Reply # 6 - TRUE

Starting back in the mid 70s, Bridgeport was ordered by a Judge Daly to adjust the hiring process of its fire department. The results were that some candidates walked into firehouses getting two years back pay, plus back vacation benefits etc. Some left shortly after getting all their back pay for two years once the court battle was over.

Promotion exams come along. Same thing. Getting promoted within the Bridgeport Fire Department was not only based on your ability to do the job, but also based on what you looked like.

I believe it was during that promotion process that the group known as "The Firebirds" was organized within the department. Very similar to NYCs Vulcan Society of today.

Both sides have suffered. Some great guys that were pushed into a job that they could have very well earned on their own. It actually hurt them as they were put into a category of those that had the job just given to them.

I must say however that those that were given the job and stayed on the job fought side by side, some of the toughest fires in the State of Connecticut. I attended a funeral for two Bridgeport Firefighters LODD a few years ago. All department members attended no matter what they looked like.

I am not taking this upcoming Bridgeport Fire Department test. I was one of the guys that didn't get the job back in 1977 because of Judge Daly's ruling. Even though I grew up in Bridgeport and that was where I wanted to be, I guess it's okay now, I got the job in another Connecticut city. Yes, I had to make all new friends and I missed all my buddies. But we kept in touch. For some of us, 40 years later we still do.

Spent 30 years as a firefighter. Loved it and even got promoted. Caught a few jobs and became a part of the Brotherhood of Firefighters.

If you feel the odds are stacked against you, you are NOT alone. I could have been a Bridgeport Firefighter instead of that driver of the getaway car in a murder. But, they got what they wanted. That is what really matters right.

Edited by nfd2004
JM15 likes this