x635

Ossining To Refurbish Rescue 14

18 posts in this topic

From the Ossining Village Board Meeting February 3rd 2016:

RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Ossining hereby

awards the bid for Contract No. OFD-15-02, Refurbish E-One Rescue Fire

Apparatus, to Nichols Oxygen Service, Inc., 1564 Rt 9G, Hyde Park, New York

12538 for the bid amount of $296,789.00."

Is that price correct?  Seems like a lot of money for a refurb.  We completely refurbished our front line Pierce pumper for less than a third of that amount.

bfd1144 and Westfield12 like this

Includes Paint, Body Reconfiguration/Alterations, new mechanical components, additional equipment (bigger ticket items), electrical system and components

x635 and Westfield12 like this

There's refurbs and then there's refurbs. You can do a few things inexpensively, or you can rebuild the truck completely, and that can get expensive, but still much cheaper then a new rescue. Thanks @ONLOCATION for the information!

Westfield12 likes this

17 hours ago, BFD2553 said:

Is that price correct?  Seems like a lot of money for a refurb.  We completely refurbished our front line Pierce pumper for less than a third of that amount.

Lets compare Apples to Apples,

What did that include?

Staty Safe

x635 and Westfield12 like this

7 hours ago, msm232 said:

Lets compare Apples to Apples,

What did that include?

Staty Safe

On a 1991 Pierce Lance.  Complete overhaul including: New Tank.  Completely Rebuilt Pump.  All New Seats.  All New LED Lighting both inside and out including all emergency lighting, compartments, crew cab, driver/officer cab.  Repair of all rust/corrosion inside and out (Exterior was in exceptionally good shape) including tank area, undercarriage, hose bed and cab, etc.  Rewiring of entire electrical system.  New Federal Q bumper-mount siren.  Installation of rear view camera system.  Repairs as needed to all compartments, latches, and mounted equipment (ladder rack, scene lighting, etc.).  Hose Bed Cover.  Bunch of other minor items as well.  No painting was needed.  Hope this helps.  BTW- Was not being critical- Just seemed like a very large number and was asking if it was in fact, the correct figure. 

x635, EmsFirePolice and Westfield12 like this

No Problem, I just like seeing all the cards on the table, so we can make educated opinions.

I think $100k is about right for the work you listed in my opinon.

I be willing to bet, R14 is going to get quite a bit more, I will inquire and post.

Stay safe,

Westfield12, x635 and vodoly like this

How long is it gonna be gone? Split up the rescue duties around the dept?

Westfield12 likes this

Members of R14 are currently using Utility 153 to respond out of. They have the confined space equipment and other items in the spill response trailer to respond with. It will be gone for approximately 90 days. I believe it's currently at the E-One factory in Florida.

They're going to be doing a ton of work to it and will essentially be a new apparatus when completed. It was cheaper to refurb then to purchase a brand new one, especially when looking into the near future when Ossining has 4 pumpers due for replacement coming up over the course of the next few years (101,98,96,100). 2 of which are due in the near future.

What has the OFD been using in R14's place ?

Westfield12 likes this

The Company has been using Utility 153 (a past Chiefs Tahoe)  equipped with spill mitigation items, traffic control equipment, & the 4-gas meter. Additional equipment was placed on other apparatus and in the spill response trailer readily available to be towed by said utility. In response to other posts, Yes Engine 97 is equipped with a compliment of Extrication Equipment along with a PowerHawk Battery Powered Combi-tool on Engine 96. The Final Inspection trip for the Rescue is set for the coming week. Exact date for delivery is still unknown.