x635

*Spy Shots* FDNY New Rescue Medic Ambulances

13 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, letsgo1547 said:

Is it necessary

@letsgo1547 Decide for yourself. It's a pretty easy one. Wait around for the patient to be brought to you, or bring EMS to the patient for care as soon as possible...here are some good articles about it.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/events/2013/051313a.shtml

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/we-can-never-get-comfortable-q-and-a-with-a-rescue-paramedic/?_r=0

I just wonder if the wheelbase could have been shorter. The Terrastars have a great turning radius I heard, and this is just as long as some other everyday FDNY apparatus.

AFS1970 and Westfield12 like this

3 hours ago, x635 said:

I just wonder if the wheelbase could have been shorter. The Terrastars have a great turning radius I heard, and this is just as long as some other everyday FDNY apparatus.

I've heard just the opposite.  I've heard from some in my area that have a Terrastar that they don't turn that great.  Or at least not as good as the larger Durastar or Freightliner chassis.

As for the wheelbase, the only way to shorten the wheelbase on that chassis would be to lose the extended cab and/or lose the extra compartment at the front of the body.  Since they designed them that way, my guess would be that there was a need for both of those areas.  As such, the only other option to shorten the wheelbase in any meaningful way would be to move to a custom chassis like the Spartan Metro Star RT.

Yeah but what those articles don't say is that the rescue medics are in service like a normal ALS unit responding to normal everyday runs.  I've been to situations where rescue medics could have been sent but they weren't and instead you get a normal ALS unit

2 minutes ago, letsgo1547 said:

Yeah but what those articles don't say is that the rescue medics are in service like a normal ALS unit responding to normal everyday runs.  

Actually, the one article does pretty much state that.  In the second link with the Q&A, the medic states that something like 75% of her runs are regular paramedic responses.

2 minutes ago, letsgo1547 said:

I've been to situations where rescue medics could have been sent but they weren't and instead you get a normal ALS unit

Who hasn't been to a call where the wrong unit(s) were sent or didn't get a unit that should have been sent?

AFS1970 and Westfield12 like this

I think it's great that they have those rigs at the ready, hopefully they are going to be placed at the specific EMS stations that have the Rescue Medics. Yes, the rigs are a bit overwhelming, but with some of the incidents happening these days and the amount of time "on station" with these calls, I don't see what's wrong with packing a little more than a little less. 

Westfield12 likes this

I agree with the rescue medics 100% but just not the way they are utilized. I believe there are 2 in the area where I work, I run in with one all the time so it's a busy unit. If both of those units are tied up, the next rescue unit is coming from out of borough. I think they should be used just like a rescue unit, major incidents. Send them to every 10-75, you be amazed at how may man undes there are throughout the city. Plus your pin jobs, water incidents and any other major event. 

nydude2473, x635, nfd2004 and 1 other like this

Are they needed? This is the catch 22 that most agencies find themselves in with special units. You get a rig, train the staff and commit to having the resource in service. However actual call volume is not there, so you use them for routine calls. If they are busy on a routine call when the special call comes in you have to send someone else.

Think about a Rescue Pumper, do we not send that to a brush fire, because a vehicle collision might happen? No, as a matter of fact dual purpose rigs in the fire service are usually purchased specifically  for multiple uses. I see no reason for EMS to be any different. Think about your Haz Mat team, do they not go on other calls just waiting for a spill? Of course not, because few if any departments or communities could afford a full time Haz Mat team. Still, you do want them there when they are truly needed.

nydude2473 likes this

Its New York City. The most vulnerable city to incidents from medicaid and Band-Aids to dirty bombs and terrorism. Anything can happen at anytime...and it will. This is an outstanding resource for any major city whether they sit on their ass all day or constantly on the turn around. They in fact should staff more and be paid a lot more than they are (along with NYC EMS in general but thats a diff argument).

You have a homeless population larger than some rural areas in the country living in confined spaces, IDLH atmospheres, etc. Endless construction accidents or any accident for that mater requiring crush meds or high angle emergencies. The list goes on and the truck will only get bigger as they take on more responsibility; For example, staffing the marine units with rescue medics. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by roofsopen19
AFS1970 and EmsFirePolice like this

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, FireMedic049 said:

As such, the only other option to shorten the wheelbase in any meaningful way would be to move to a custom chassis like the Spartan Metro Star RT.

And I think they should have went that route. The Spartan Furion, if it was still around, would have been perfect. Maybe even one of these new Kenworth or Ford cab forward trucks.