Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

WCDES Developing FAST Requirements?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard about WCDES developing requirements for a FAST?

If so, what would they be and how would they be enforced?

x635 likes this

FAST is  part of the "live burn" policy  that the County has  just released.   every Chief  should have received a copy of the policy. It is very  comprehensive. your Departments  should  take a close look at it and understand the responsibilities of the chiefs and officers  when conducting a live burn evolution at the training  center. 

x635 and xchief2x like this

I'm a little confused as to the direction this thread is going.  Was the original post asking about WCDES's FAST requirement as in 60 control and working fires, or the training center and live burns?

If I'm not mistaken NFPA 1403 already requires a FAST for all training fires so I'm sure the training center requires it. 

What I'd like to know is the 60 control policy regarding FAST. What constitutes a FAST team, and is one required by 60 for every fire, or does every department elect to call one for every fire ?

nydude2473 and dwcfireman like this

I was referencing something I had heard that WCDES is developing FAST requirements for departments. This includes leadership, initial training, ongoing minimum response levels and equipment. Similar to the definitions of the CAD Valid Unit Designations.

For example, if this were to come to be, how would WCDES be able to monitor the department for compliance, and if they didn't comply, what would be that action? Would 60 Control take them off the run card as FAST? Even if a Chief requested that departments FAST specifically?

33 minutes ago, Viper said:

I was referencing something I had heard that WCDES is developing FAST requirements for departments. This includes leadership, initial training, ongoing minimum response levels and equipment. Similar to the definitions of the CAD Valid Unit Designations.

For example, if this were to come to be, how would WCDES be able to monitor the department for compliance, and if they didn't comply, what would be that action? Would 60 Control take them off the run card as FAST? Even if a Chief requested that departments FAST specifically?

Been out of the training loop for a while but if I remember correctly training requirements for volunteer departments are a home rule issue unlike career departments so I don't believe DES can make requirements ( unless something has changed) for volunteer departments and I remember when I was a chief this topic came up there was concern from some chiefs in the county about the training level of FAST members responding to a FAST request but again with home rule it is a tough topic

Andy Mancusi

Past Chief

Past commissioner

Edited by ex-commish

I know for the most part, the home rule applies about who is on the "FAST" Team and what their training is. It is nice for everybody on a FAST Team to have the FAST class offered by NYS. However, we know that this isn't always the case. What's important then, is to have experienced and trained guys on that crew. That has to be determined by the officers of that department to keep everybody at a certain level. Also, you have to take into consideration that sometimes a FAST Team isn't available and you got to use an incoming unit as the FAST, whether it be a mutual aid engine or ladder. The fireground can be a tricky and fast-paced place, so being able to call a shot on a dime is important. Remember, FAST techniques are really just honing in on firefighter survival and truck operation skills. Throwing ladders, searching rooms, buddy drags, etc. It's nice to put that title as a "FAST" Team, but honestly, everybody should be ready to go if they get called from the bullpen. It's about being good with the skills that you have been trained to do and have been implementing for however long you've been in the fire service.