Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Blast From The Past: Top 10 Incidents Of 2004

4 posts in this topic

A little blast from the past here, 14 years ago. Former Forum Admin Truck 4 produced this awesome feature and there are no words I can say of how appreciative of him for this. 2004 was a busy and tragic year in Westchester.  Links in the Incident Alert dicussion thread do not work but I will update those soon. Click on the links to view the Incident Alert. I'm proud that we have a searchable database of 14 years worth of topics that you can research.

If you want to see more EMTBravo.com Blasts From The Past from our archives, please hit "Like" on this post.

Incidents were selected by a panel of EMTBravo.com moderators and select members by vote and also ranked based on, with no factor holding any more weight than another, size and scope of incident, response to incident, loss of life, effect on response, training and operating policy. EMTBravo Network Incident Alert Moderator Truck4 Created And Developed The Idea For This List, As Well As Compiled, Ranked, And Wrote All The Information. Special Thanks To Truck4 For His Work On This Project, And To All Who Participated And Supported This Project.

EMTBravo Network Top Ten Incidents of 2004
Coordinated And Written By Truck4

1.Peekskill –Shopping Center Fire In size and scope of fire, the Peekskill Shopping Center fire was the largest in Westchester County in 2004. Hundreds of firefighters from 13 departments operated for more than 8 hours as 7 businesses were destroyed by fire on Main St.

2.Yonkers – Triple Fatal Multi-Alarm fire An accidental fire took the lives of 3 members of a family at this late afternoon fire on April 5th. Despite the efforts of first arriving police officers and the YFD, blocked exits, debris in the hallways and a heavy volume of fire on arrival hampered rescue attempts and contributed to the deaths of the young couple and their 4-year old daughter.

3.Yonkers- Manhole Explosive Kills Two Con Ed Workers An explosion in an underground transformer vault took the lives of two Con Ed workers, one a Volunteer Firefighter, in September. Christopher O’Conner of Buchanan Engine Co., died after a days long fight with severe burns. Just weeks ago, Con Edison was sighted for safety violations and hit with hefty fines after an investigation into the incident.

4. Mount Vernon- Multiple Alarm Fire on Mount Vernon Ave As five buildings were burning, the head of the Mount Vernon Firefighters Union laced into the Department’s Fire Commissioner in another chapter of the FDMV’s manpower controversy. Four outside departments operated at scene, continuing the Mutual Aid debate through the summer.

5.Briarcliff Manor- Tanker Vs. Auto on Route 9A The fact that there was no loss of life makes this incident even more noteworthy. Civilian heroics and a smooth foam operation made this fire look more threatening than it really was.

6.Bedford Hills- Truck Vs. Train (and the truck lost) On September 20th, a Metro North Train struck a truck at the crossing, triggering an MCI response, typical of many drills, but now done for real. Nearly three dozen injuries were mitigated in an incident worth its training weight in gold.

7.Mount Vernon- A Very Special Mount Vernon Christmas (or All I Want For Christmas is Manpower) If one night could sum up the state of Emergency Services in Mount Vernon, it would be Christmas Morning 2004. Just hours after 6 fire departments responded to a General Alarm Fire on West 4th St., 6 police departments went in to help the 6 Mount Vernon Police Officers working that night at the scene of a large, unruly crowd and riot condition.

8.Rye- Double Fatal House Fire On June 15, an elderly couple lost their lives in a heavily involved house fire. The couple was known to be recluse and had stacks of newspapers and other debris in large piles throughout the house.

9.Bedford Hills- Barn Burner On May 21st, a lightning strike is believed to have started a large barn fire, killing 4 of the 40 horses housed inside. Navigating a near stampede of horses were 6 engines, 8 tankers and 3 ladders from multiple departments.

10.Yonkers- Kimball Theater Fire On November 16th, a 3-alarm fire destroyed the former Kimball Theater, as well as an adjoining business on Yonkers Ave. This was the 6th of 7 third alarm or greater fires in the city in 2004.

Thanks to all who participated in the survey.
Incidents were selected by a panel of EMTBravo.com moderators and select members by vote and also ranked based on, with no factor holding any more weight than another, size and scope of incident, response to incident, loss of life, effect on response, training and operating policy. EMTBravo Network Incident Alert Moderator Truck4 Created And Developed The Idea For This List, As Well As Compiled, Ranked, And Wrote All The Information. Special Thanks To Truck4 For His Work On This Project, And To All Who Participated And Supported This Project.

TimesUp, ronfrehm, 27east and 10 others like this

Great post, especially for those of us who weren't involved in emergency services at the time and are seeing these calls for the first time. Looking forward to 05, etc. 

Westfield12 likes this

I remember some of these.  wow can't believe its been 12 years.  When this website was new and jumping with post as well.  Seth do you still have photos from incidents in the past?  10-12 years ago?  even inside of 10 years? 

Edited by Chkpoint

17 hours ago, Chkpoint said:

I remember some of these.  wow can't believe its been 12 years.  When this website was new and jumping with post as well.  Seth do you still have photos from incidents in the past?  10-12 years ago?  even inside of 10 years? 

I have a ton in the EMTBravo archive. I'm going to make these "Blasts From The Past" a regular feature I think. I have a lot of not only incidents from the past decade, but incidents going back several decades from the "Protection From The Past" archive.  Maybe I will try and post a feature every Saturday.

fdalumnus, TBarnum and Chkpoint like this