GreatPlains588

Insurance to cover most of $1M cost of totaled fire district truck

3 posts in this topic

How do you explain wrecking your most expensive piece of equipment on the way to an EMS call?

5 hours ago, Flashpoint said:

How do you explain wrecking your most expensive piece of equipment on the way to an EMS call?

The same way you would explain wrecking any piece of equipment on the way to any call.   You simply explain what happened.

Accidents can happen at any time.  After the safety of our personnel and others, the main concern should be about whether or not the apparatus was being operated in an appropriate manner at the time of the accident.  The actual nature of the call is somewhat irrelevant.

Now I think the question you were trying to ask is something along the lines of how do you justify responding your most expensive piece of fire equipment to any EMS call after the vehicle was totaled in an accident while responding to one while also trying to imply that EMS calls (in general) are not worthy uses of this apparatus.

I'm not familiar with this department's operations and the article doesn't give much detail on what happened, but it does state that the unit was responding to a reported heroin overdose.  Having responded to more than my fair share of OD calls in my career, I can safely say that they can easily be a life threatening situation.

Since we're supposed to be about saving lives and property, I have to ask, is this person's life somehow less worthy of assistance from that unit because his life is possibly threatened by heroin rather than being threatened by a fire?

Edited by FireMedic049
BFD2553 and COH Bulldog like this