x635

FDNY Leases Ambulances To Fill Voids Left By Transcare

8 posts in this topic

FDNY has leased several new ambulances to fill the voids left by Transcare. The order was to get new ambulances ASAP. They appear to be Ford F-350 Superdutys with a Wheeled Coach module, and not FDNY spec. It's unknown the exact total that will be delivered. They are intended to be used until Wheeled Coach can begin delivery of a large order for FDNY-spec ambulances.

Photo credit: Unknown

leasedf1.jpg.cac17b9f64192bd7620dd6e0eed

leadf3.jpg.5d6678c3736bc6337db88ec2f4071

I like how when TC folded the Commissioner came out and said that FDNY had foreseen this scenario and made plans for it; in reality their plan was just to work their existing crews to death for as long as needed until someone came up with another idea.

AFS1970, x635, nydude2473 and 3 others like this

It's unlikely they are F-350 with that size box..Just based off the picture they look like 168" -170" boxes so it's more likely F-450 Chassis. Correct me if I'm wrong those with FDNY knowledge was the last planned order from wheeled coach 156" boxes or 170" ?

Regardless unfortunately recoil is right ...looks like the "plan" is to just have open overtime for anyone that will take it and hope that the volunteer providers can also provide more crews.

There is also the other BS contingency plan....

Staffing RRV units with 2 firemen and an officer to respond solely to EMS.  This is nothing more than a "stop-the-clock" measure....

Wanna free up more ALS/BLS units?  Start a PSA about when you should call 911 and when you should buck-up for a cab!  Too often the "patient" having the emergency has all the ability to stop in the bathroom, get dressed and walk themselves downstairs....THATS NOT AN EMERGENCY CONDITION....

vwwh1, vodoly, AFS1970 and 2 others like this

11 hours ago, JSchloss84 said:

It's unlikely they are F-350 with that size box..Just based off the picture they look like 168" -170" boxes so it's more likely F-450 Chassis.  They're definitely F-450s from what I can see.  The F-350 typically doesn't have the black fender flares on the cab and they also have smaller diameter wheels than the ones pictured.

Correct me if I'm wrong those with FDNY knowledge was the last planned order from wheeled coach 156" boxes or 170" ?  If I'm not mistaken, their Horton units were a 139" box based on the model that they were using.  Their "regular" Wheeled Coach units look like they're about the same size.  I doubt that they're 156", definitely not 170s.

Westfield12 likes this

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, stixx said:

How many ambulance's is the FDNY Leasing ?

I've been told they are leasing 15 for 6 months, or until the new order of ambulances come in, with the option to purchase. I don't know much about where they will be deployed, but I would guess in the Bronx to cover all the new shifts. They are going to be in service fairly quickly, they are going straight to the radio shops then into service.

The RRV was the smartest thing the FDNY has done for EMS in the Bronx since the merger . #other #RRVlife

vodoly likes this