Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Benzene Trailer?

8 posts in this topic

Looks like a training unit for a tank barge just smaller and portable. I say its a training unit because the gauge sticks are cut out so you can see how the balls float up for the sight sticks, and large diameter pipe at the end of the trailer is open. This is also interesting because thats the same setup for the cargo and vapor system as an inland tank barge not necessarily the same as the offshore tank barges that operate in NY harbor but very similar in ways.

Edited by Graham26

Inland tank barge very similar to the trailer.

20160327_074229.jpg

its a little weird with the vapor line runing in the man hole.  Same they didn't put on a couple of other things, like PVs, Deck breaker, water seal, an emergecny shut down station. There are more then just tank barges and bunker barges in ny harbor.  Looks like they have a mock ship behind it or a something.  I know the FDNY used to go to NY Maritime College and train on the training ship.  I know some gues got the s*** scared out of them when they when zero visibility and put in a machinery space.  

Edited by Jybehofd

looks ok but nothing like the real thing.  ladders and stairs are nice and wide and not to vertical.  i've had a couple of fires on ships. water is the one of the last things.  we use fire extinguishers until its too big or on deck.  also ships have at least one fix fire fighting system.  CO2 Drops in the engine room. one ship i was on had CO2 and Halon. Another had CO2 and a water mist system for the engine room.  But there is always only one way in our out of a state room. The Engine room there are typical others and some very tight escape hatches. but you are not making a way out yourself unless you have some c4 or a plasma tourch.  I hope they still go out to the training ship empire state at ny maritime college, when the ship is not away for the summer.  I know the dive team has some stuff at the bottom of the boat basin they always bring up and put back down. 

Edited by Jybehofd

Wow, if only a real engine room looked like that!  A real engine room has catwalks that are just big enough for someone to walk on, not to mention all of the machinery that leaves no open space.