Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Florida Police K9 Tahoe's

6 posts in this topic

While on vacation in Punta Gorda Florida, I went to a festival where local Police were doing a K9 demonstration. 

City of Punta Gorda K9 Tahoe.  Notice the Officers name, as well as his K9 partners name on the front fender.

image.jpeg

City of North Port Police K9 Tahoe

image.jpeg

Edited by BFD1054

City of Punta Gorda has all of its patrol vehicles assigned to individual officers (County sherrif is to some extent) so hence their names on the units

Westfield12 likes this

On 4/5/2016 at 10:11 PM, Capejake72 said:

City of Punta Gorda has all of its patrol vehicles assigned to individual officers (County sherrif is to some extent) so hence their names on the units

Interesting concept.  To me it just seems like overkill for upfront expenses and maintenance, but if it works for them, cool.  Do you per chance know the reasoning for each officer to have his/her own personal vehicle?

And I really like North Port's K9 vehicle!  Especially the "WARNING K-9" on the rear doors.  It seems to me that it would give an extra pucker factor to anyone that saw this pull on scene.

vodoly and Westfield12 like this

The reasoning behind each MOS having their own vehicle is that they are much more likely to care for it and keep it in good working order than if just assigned a random unit at the beginning of each tour. The maintenance expense and longevity of the units provides an overall cost benefit in the long run. It also creates a presence in the community when you see patrol cars parked in officers driveways. 

dwcfireman likes this

I had a conversation with a FL State Trooper at the car wash one day.  It was her day off, but she had to dress in full uniform if she wants to use a commercial car wash. And the car wash doesn't comp or discount for MOS.  Florida Troopers make squat money but their vehicles always shine.  A lot of Sheriffs deputies also have personal use of the their vehicles and can use them for personal use in their civvies, its part of their compensation and fuel, mileage and maintenance are all factored some how.

If you're responsible for the vehicle that you may use on a 100 mph chase, you're probably going to make sure its in good working order.

Do CT Troopers still have use of the their cars?  

I also wonder if these cars are similarly equipped as NYS. At a community thing one year they had a K-9 Trooper attending and the vehicle was set up so that if the interior temp reached a certain degree, the door would automatically open so the dog could get out.

Doesn't take long for the temp to get critical in FL w/o AC.

Westfield12 and ARI1220 like this