Flashpoint

FDNY EMT's To Take Over Haz Tac From Paramedics

12 posts in this topic

The FDNY is hoping to improve response times to critical 911 calls in the Bronx by having EMTs take over hazardous material duties from paramedics, the Daily News has learned.

Two paramedic units trained in counterterrorism measures — hazardous material and tactical response techniques known as HazTac — are being relieved of those responsibilities to focus solely on urgent medical calls, the department said Friday.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/emts-hazardous-material-duties-paramedics-article-1.2594039

trauma74, Westfield12 and vodoly like this

IMO there really is no need for paramedics in the hot zone of a hazmat situation (whether it's terrorism or an accident).  It would be better to have an EMT or two in there to quickly triage and pull victims out, allowing the paramedics to give life saving interventions to those who need it in the cool zone.  I've never tried to stick an IV with a class A or B hazmat suit on, but I'm guessing it's fairly difficult.

I don't think the structure of the haz-tacs is strictly to have the paramedic operating in the hot zone.  They can work in the warm and cold zones though and if they're not part of a haz-mat assignment, how will they get there?

Don't forget the "Tac" side - where they do a whole lot more interventions.

My curiosity piqued while I was away from the computer....How many Haz-Tac ambulances are staffed each tour?  And how many hazmat or tactical assignments do they respond to?

5 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

IMO there really is no need for paramedics in the hot zone of a hazmat situation (whether it's terrorism or an accident).  It would be better to have an EMT or two in there to quickly triage and pull victims out, allowing the paramedics to give life saving interventions to those who need it in the cool zone.  I've never tried to stick an IV with a class A or B hazmat suit on, but I'm guessing it's fairly difficult.

All ALS treatment in the hot zone is limited to med injections, (i.e. DuaDote, Mark 1 and Valium). No way is advanced airway or IV's appropriate in the hot zone. By the time patients are moved to the cold zone they will be DOA. 

Disaster_Guy likes this

6 minutes ago, Bnechis said:

All ALS treatment in the hot zone is limited to med injections, (i.e. DuaDote, Mark 1 and Valium).

So why can't EMT's be trained to do this?  Is it that much more difficult than an EpiPen?  Or is it strictly because of the medication? 

I'm guessing it is because of the meds but that must be a NYC protocol thing. EMTs have atropine of organophosphate poisoning and nerve agent response in the Hudson Valley region, and I heard something about (rectal) Valium in the collaborative protocols as an assistive medication in refractory seizures

So  not to much differnce there

dwcfireman likes this

1 hour ago, v85 said:

I'm guessing it is because of the meds but that must be a NYC protocol thing. EMTs have atropine of organophosphate poisoning and nerve agent response in the Hudson Valley region, and I heard something about (rectal) Valium in the collaborative protocols as an assistive medication in refractory seizures

My dept. FF/EMTs are level A suit trained to use duaDote and Mark I kits. There is no way anyone could administer rectal meds in a level a suit. Protocol during WMD's is inject thru clothing. With level A double or triple gloves, it's like trying to pickup a dime while wearing a baseball glove

INIT915, dwcfireman and x635 like this

16 hours ago, v85 said:

Sorry but rectal valium should remain an in-hospital treatment.  There's no way I'm doing that, especially on a haz-mat job.

dwcfireman likes this

I think everyone is missing the point

The point is that pre- dosed medication the same that are being used by haztac medics are already filtering down to the EMT level and thus there is really no reason. For haztac medics if that is all they are administering 

AFS1970 likes this