x635

Prince Georges County MD - Firefighters Shot LODD

13 posts in this topic

www.FirefighterCloseCalls.com
All,
Bad news out of the Camp Springs area of Prince Georges County (Maryland) where reports are that at least 1 Firefighter is down and possibly a second as well as a civilian. Reports are also that there is now a barricade situation. 

NOTE:
The absolute best way to get the facts are by going to twitter and following PGFD PIO Mark Brady:

@PGFDPIO

His tweets can also be followed here: http://www.pgfdpio.blogspot.com/

Keep them in your prayers.
More to follow.
Take Care. Be Careful. Pass it On.
BillyG
The Secret List 4/15/2016-2015 Hours

PGFD has now announced this as a Line of Duty Death, one of the firefighters has succumbed to his injuries. The other is still in critical condition.

EmsFirePolice likes this

"One of the two firefighters who were shot Friday night in Maryland has died of his injuries, officials confirmed late Friday.

John Ulmshneider, 37, was a 13-year veteran of the Prince George's County Fire Department, a husband and a father of a 2-year-old daughter, fire officials said...."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/2-Firefighters-Shot-in-Temple-Hills-Police-375912251.html

Wasn't an active shooter.  Sadly this may have been a case of mistaken identity because the FF were apparently shot while trying to force entry during a service call to "check on the welfare" of the resident.  The "suspect" did not fire on anyone after the initial shooting and is cooperating with authorities now.

Sounds a lot like the case a few months ago where a FF was shot by someone on a medical call when the resident "woke up" and found a "stranger" in his home. 

Very sad.  RIP and godspeed!

vodoly likes this

And, apparently the civilian was the family member of the shooter who asked for the welfare check.  This is an unfortunate reminder that there is no such thing as a routine call. 

Edited by SECTMB

@SageVigiles I know you knew this guy. Sorry for the loss of your friend in your company.

Also just found out the guy who shot him got off without charges. I guess he thought the firefighters were intruders, and shot them. The civilian he shot was his brother. Something similar happened in Arkansas as well a few months ago, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers to all involved.

So, I guess now it is ok to MURDER a Firefighter, as long as you said that you thought he was breaking into your house?

Seth, Kevin Swain is from my station, I did not have the pleasure of knowing John, he was detailed to station 823 from another Battalion that night. Kevin is doing better and is in good spirits.

Many of our surrounding departments have stepped up to help.  Volunteers from Kentland (PG County) and La Plata (Charles County) have been staffing our engine. College Park (another PG house) has provided us with a coverage Ambo.  DCFD E15/R3/BC3, Fairfax Squad 411, Bladensburg FD, Berwyn Heights FD, Accokeek FD and many others have been providing meals for our troops. We appreciate all the support.

x635, AFS1970 and EmsFirePolice like this

18 hours ago, trauma74 said:

So, I guess now it is ok to MURDER a Firefighter, as long as you said that you thought he was breaking into your house?

It wasn't murder.  Read the statutes.  Murder is a very specific offense.

AFS1970 likes this

The news is reporting tonight that the homeowner/shooter will not be facing any charges.  It was a case of mistaken identity in that he believed his house was being broken into.  

EmsFirePolice likes this