gamewell45

Arlington Fire District Reach Agreement on New Labor Contract

9 posts in this topic

Career Firefighters from the Arlington Fire District have reached a 5 year agreement on a new labor contract.  It includes a 2% pay increase beginning January 1, 2017 and a switch in medical benefits provider.  It also provides for the district to hire commercial Ambulance firms to transport patients to hospitals, thus eliminating department staffed ambulances; however both career and volunteers will still respond to EMS calls to provide emergency care.

http://www.afd.org/Pdf/051616PressReleaseonreachingagreement.pdf

Edited by gamewell45
typo

So that means they are going to contract with a paid Als ambulance service? So 911 will send an AFD first response vehicle along with the commercial ambo? 

6 hours ago, Rjsii1432 said:

So that means they are going to contract with a paid Als ambulance service? So 911 will send an AFD first response vehicle along with the commercial ambo? 

It gives them the right to contract out the work to any paid commercial ambulance firm they so choose.  As I understand it, AFD will still send an engine or other vehicle to provide emergency care until arrival of the PCA.

I've never seen a tiered dispatch with ALS FD first response that TOTs to commercial Als ambulances. It should be interesting. I wonder how long it would take before AFD transitions to FF/EMT-Bs only. 

If Vassar College paid their fair share in taxes.......

14 hours ago, Rjsii1432 said:

I've never seen a tiered dispatch with ALS FD first response that TOTs to commercial Als ambulances. It should be interesting. I wonder how long it would take before AFD transitions to FF/EMT-Bs only. 

It's quite possible that what you propose may occur; i'm wondering if that's what the Board of Commissioners ultimately want to happen.

On May 18, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Rjsii1432 said:

It's very common out west and some parts of Fla. 

16fire5 likes this