trauma74

9/11 Museum a Tough Sell for New Yorkers

7 posts in this topic

Just to report on what I have been told. It seems from many New Yorkers they feel this Museum should be FREE for all to see.  Our Country already paid a very heavy price and just as places like Arlington Cemetary, we, the people of this country should NOT have to pay to visit the history of how America suffered on that tragic day.

It was also reported to me that the top administrators of this 9/11 Museum are making large profits from this project.

After hearing of this, I, along with several friends decided not to visit.

Perhaps that is the main reason why New Yorkers are NOT visiting this museum, while outsiders are. Perhaps those New Yorkers know more than anyone else what a high price that was paid on that terrible day. Perhaps New Yorkers are fully aware of some of the salaries involved in this while outsiders are not.

Take it as you may. You decide for yourself.

AFS1970, PCFD ENG58, FF398 and 5 others like this

I wish that the article had gone into more specificity regarding the $72M operating budget.  Somebody's making some serious money off this tragedy.

nfd2004 and trauma74 like this

Based on a few previous post, it seems many New Yorkers are fully aware of the issue.

Here's how I found out.

Last year there were a group of guys, all good friends coming up to visit in the NYC area. The group was made up of active and retired firefighters, EMTs/Medics, military and buffs. We were all getting together in NYC for a couple of days and maybe visit at a few prearranged firehouses and other places where these guys might be interested in visiting. I thought "why not make a visit to the 9/11 Museum too". So I asked a few of the local NYC guys how they felt about it. I was very surprised to hear that "NOT ONE" had visited this museum themselves. Many of these guys were directly involved on that tragic day. Their efforts continued on for months after. They all paid a terrible price from that attack.

When I heard that New Yorkers themselves had NOT visited this museum, including many first responders who worked months there trying to recover their lost friends, "how could I go there and bring a group of friends to view the history of this 9/11 Memorial". We would pay money to view what so many of our very good friends had lost. The answer was "NO...., we will NOT go". And in total agreement were every one of those who had planned to visit from as far away as Tennessee.

To be honest, if there were ANY museum in this country that our group, including myself, wanted to see, it would be this 9/11 Memorial. As an outsider, I was not directly involved. But like most people in America, and the entire world, we all watched "live" on our TVs as these tragic events played out in front of us. Many of us lost good friends and family members lost them right in front of our own eyes.

"I AM NOT ABOUT TO PAY TEN CENTS FOR ANYBODY TO MAKE BIG MONEY OFF THE LOSS OF SO MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE".

Again I say, "the choice is yours". But "maybe that's why so many New Yorkers haven't been there".

I have never visited this and never will for a few reasons. First when they started selling tickets to walk down a sidewalk and look at a hole, I realized this was going to be more like Disney's 9/11/2001 experience than anything reverent or somber. Second when there was talk of making a statue of the now famous picture of the firefighters raising a flag, but first they had to change the faces to be more inclusive, I realized how many disgusting the agendas were. Then when there was talk of making the museum into the international Islamic friendship center or some other such crap design to promote the revisionist history that 19 guys randomly just all had the same terrible idea at the same time that had nothing to do with anything, that opinion was cemented. Then there was the debate over listing the names by affiliation or not, and almost independent of the opinions of NYPD and FDNY I thought that the approximately 700 workers for Cantor Fitzgerald should be allowed to be remembered next to their coworkers.

It just seemed to be that this whole project has been more about erasing memories than preserving them, and that is just plain wrong.

bfd1144, nfd2004, Newburgher and 1 other like this