dwcfireman

Fire Scene Selfies

9 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or does anyone else see firefighters taking selfies at car accidents, fires, and every other type of major incident?  I've noticed over the last few years the number of selfies popping up in social media FROM FIREFIGHTERS is increasing, including the number of general pictures of the scene and responding apparatus.  I'm not going to knock professional photographers (as this is their job), nor the general public for taking photographs or videos of these incidents, rather I want to know; why do firefighters have to stoop the unprofessional position of taking a selfie while on the job?  This just kind of irks me because firefighters are taking a side step to get the "awesome shot," or get a selfie to show that they were there.  Why aren't you paying attention to what's going on and focusing on your job?  Are the imaginary internet points and likes worth it?

Let me pose a few other questions while I'm here:  Does your department have a social media policy?  If so, what does it state?  What are the disciplinary measures for going against the policy?  And, why would a department tolerate its own personnel taking pictures at inappropriate times?

Real firefighters involved in doing their job don't have time to take pictures of themselves. As the saying goes; "Don't brag about yourself, let others do it for you".

Only one of the places I work has adopted a social media policy but they did have a policy on taking pictures while working.  They said that all photos taken while on company time are the property of the company and cannot be shared, published, or otherwise distributed except by the company PIO.  Kinda squashes any problems. 

Now the social media policy says the same thing and also prohibits sharing information or photos of incidents responded to on FB, IG, Twitter, etc.  It even goes so far to say that posting to FB, IG, Twitter, SnapChat, etc. while on company time is not allowed.  One guy tried to be a jackass about it and got himself in the director's office so they aren't taking it lightly.

dwcfireman and antiquefirelt like this

As usual, the answer likely lies somewhere between the two extremes.

First off, stop it with the selfies.  Not just on the fireground, stop them altogether. Everywhere. Please, I'm begging you. You look ridiculous.

Our department has a pretty liberal social media program by fire department standards; we have a "blog" style website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube, all run by the Line Officers and the Chiefs. As part of our recruitment/retention grant we purchased several HD helmet cams and GoPro cameras to capture footage of fires, rescue locals, and yes, response to calls. Say what you want, but it has paid off. We advertise how busy we are, the experience you can get at our station, and the benefits to membership, and it works big time: our active membership roster grows every month, and we always have people coming to do a ride along to see if Morningside is the place for them. The days of recruiting with the signboard in front of the station are over, folks. We also invite some of the firefighter YouTube TV series to ride along and film us (The Battalion TV and Into The Smoke, Battalion has posted their video already, ITS is still working on their season).

Our Chiefs encourage the membership to post photos and videos of what we're doing, it helps get the message out about what we are doing and it keeps people coming in the doors. We police ourselves and people who stray outside of the accepted norms are quickly corrected. Youtube videos are produced by the membership (we have a couple former film students) and approved by the Chiefs before posting.

There's sort of a tradition around here of taking a "crew shot" on the bumper of the rig following a fire or a pin job. Other than shots of the rigs and training evolutions, those are probably the most common things you see down here.

https://www.facebook.com/morningsidevolunteers/?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/morningsidevfd

https://www.instagram.com/mv27fd/

https://www.youtube.com/user/MorningsideVFD27

Using pictures or videos as a recruitment campaign is perfectly acceptable. As in the above case it has worked. I would NOT consider that as a "Selfie".

I would consider a "Selfie" of a firefighter posing as a more of "A Look at me kind of thing". Sort of like "yes, see I really am that hero that I wanted you to think I was".

I must be honest here, most firefighters who really are out there doing the job, don't need to show pictures of themselves in action. They are more concerned about doing the job and helping others than trying to impress everybody just how great they are. "Look at me, here I am - a real firefighter". To that I say; "lol".

Some of the most decorated firefighters out there do very little bragging about themselves. They don't pose for selfies. When you ask them about events which they really were a hero, they just write it off as being at the right place at just the right time.

When I look at some of these "selfies" out there involving firefighters, "I laugh". If only they knew how foolish they look in the eyes of other firefighters.

Anybody got a few selfies they can share with us on here to appreciate.

Who has time to take a selfie at a call? Every time I'm on a run i am too busy to take out my phone and snap a pic of anything, let alone myself. I feel this is more a "younger" firefighter thing. Most older guys still have flip phones and wish they could have kept their Nextel's. I think it goes to show how some Chiefs are just not aware of whats going on. Anyone who has say 10 years or more, what would happen to you if you were at a MVA and the Boss showed up and your taking a selfie in front of the wrecked car? Ya you would be fired or at least brought up on charges. Maybe lose some personal days. I've seen pics of guys wearing aviator glasses, looking like they were some kinda models. These guys of course will wash out down the road cause the job just ain't for them. The crew shot is OK if your just chilling out after everything is done and fires out.

I am glad this topic came up. It tells how some firefighters are NOT impressed at all with "selfies" of firefighters in action. Maybe those "Firefighter Selfie Fans" had no idea just how foolish other firefighters look at this.

I have some very good friends in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, who are some of the most decorated firefighters in the northeast. I consider it a very special privilege to be a part of their friendship. They are the Best of the Best. Yet NOT ONE, has ever posed for a "selfie photo op" during their years. Just yesterday (6/1/2016) the FDNY had it's Medal Day where they honor those who went above and beyond. Once a year these members are rewarded and given praise for the work they've done. These members get their chance to get photos taken with their family members, the mayor, fire commissioner etc. There are a few web sites that have posted pictures of these individuals as well. But I highly doubt anyone can find any selfies posted anywhere of any one of these members in action.

On the contrary, there are many buffs out there who regularly take photos of firefighters in action. I know because I am one of them. Many times these buffs will take these photos and maybe post them on their own web site or even make up a copy for the firefighter in the picture. As "BIGRED1" also states above, very often a crew shot is taken after a job well done.

It is the "OWN SELF IMAGE" that tends to turn off some seasoned firefighters who have been there and done that. You are expected to do a job, and it's not being a Hollywood Model.  You're in the wrong occupation if that's what you think is more important. Are you in it (career or volunteer) to help people or promote yourself.

Personally, I have little use for any firefighters who use someone's misfortune to promote themselves. However, whether my vote counts or not probably really doesn't matter.  

AFS1970, BIGRED1, PHIL78 and 2 others like this