spyda308

New Haven Ct Firefighter/Paramedic Results

18 posts in this topic

Anyone else take the current New Haven Firefighter/Paramedic test? Any news on the list and/or results?

Anyone else take the current New Haven Firefighter/Paramedic test? Any news on the list and/or results?

Wow they've got tons to look forward to. Their top 25 applicants have a bottom 6 that are below 85%. Are you telling me that of all

the people that took the exam that these are the 25 best applicants with a quick average of 87% in my head. The 25th best applicant mustered a barely above fail?

Edited by mfc2257

This is only for the firefighter/medic position. I'm sure the requirement of being a medic seriously limits the number of applies to. From what I understand FF/PMs ride the emergency unit as opposed to an engine or truck. Maybe someone can fill us in on how it's exactly run.

spyda308 likes this

9 hours ago, somebuffyguy said:

This is only for the firefighter/medic position. I'm sure the requirement of being a medic seriously limits the number of applies to. From what I understand FF/PMs ride the emergency unit as opposed to an engine or truck. Maybe someone can fill us in on how it's exactly run.

I believe that is correct "somebuffyguy". All new members ride those EMS units as a start.

Also, only those who took the test will be able to tell what it was like. Otherwise, none of us have any idea on how easy or difficult that test was to take. Generally speaking, I think the first part of any testing process for any firefighter is the written. When those test are designed, they are designed to separate and eliminate the competition. It is really not designed so that everyone will get a high mark and pass.

Could we assume that most people taking that written test were below average. It is possible. However I had a friend who got the job last time around. I don't remember how many they hired but I do know there was a huge line waiting to get in to take that test. He came out Number 2 on the list. But really a great guy and I would say well ABOVE average intelligence. Besides already being a paramedic. I also know he was assigned to ride one of those EMS Emergency Units for about a year or so, until he got assigned to an Engine Co.

spyda308 likes this

Unfortunately as a firefighter/paramedic in CT, NHFD has quite a low starting pay, which I've been told by interested prospects is the biggest turn off, many medics whether commercial private or whatever would take a paycut and some can't do that with their life styles, familys bills yada yada yada...................Now after probation is up ect the pay is very good.

Edited by Ladder44

New Haven has hired in excess of 125 firefighters over the past 3 years. Some were paramedics.

There are plans to put additional ALS Emergency Units in service. This prompted the Medic list to be created. All Medics are trained as Firefighters.

A condition of employment is to obtain med control and maintain it for 10 years. All EMTs must keep the card for their career.

Currently there are enough medics to allow rotation off the Units and on to fire companies but not enough to activate additional Units.

Assignments in New Haven are payroll positions. Your assignment is not a guarantee which rig you will be working on.

When I was a Captain in NHFD there were assigned drivers & tillermen. The others did a day & night tour on the pipe, day / night on the hydrant and day / night on the truck. And if a driver was off the back step firefighters rotated driving. This kept all skills fresh because if you were detailed to another station you could be filling any of those roles. But it is the Captains decision who rides where based on the needs of the Department.

As far as the pay goes, there are 4 pay grades. Recruit pay is low. You get a raise after 6 months then yearly until top step.

Once off probation you are can work overtime and get acting Medic pay when working in that capacity. Plus pay stipends.

I retired 4 years ago as a Batt. Chief with 33 years OTJ. So the info I post is accurate and not hearsay.

boca1day, fdalumnus and spyda308 like this

So question, if Medics have to keep their certification for 10years, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be assigned to the fly car "E Unit" for 10 years, and can be assigned to other companies, Correct? 

Edited by spyda308

7 hours ago, spyda308 said:

So question, if Medics have to keep their certification for 10years, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be assigned to the fly car "E Unit" for 10 years, and can be assigned to other companies, Correct? 

The friend I had that got on the job there a few years ago worked as a paramedic on an E-Unit for about two years. He then got assigned to an Engine Co. It wasn't a 10 year requirement that he work an E Unit, just maintain medic status. I'm sure if the need arises whether the beginning of a shift or covering for medics on vac etc, he is still required to work that unit.

ok thanks. can you PM his info, I'm on the list and need to find out some more info about the job. thank you

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:04 AM, spyda308 said:

ok thanks. can you PM his info, I'm on the list and need to find out some more info about the job. thank you

Sorry, I'm a little late getting back to you but I did send you a message with some info.

My NHFD friend was NOT assigned to an Engine Co as I earlier reported. He was "detailed" there for a period of time. He now is assigned to a firehouse where there is an Engine, a Ladder, and an Emergency Medic Unit. He says the officer is pretty good about rotating him around.

So that's as I have it from a guy with about 3-4 (?)  years on the job.

Edited by nfd2004

I defer my 33 years to the 4 year guy who isn't sure where he has been assigned.

There are medics who are assigned to the Units by request.

Some are assigned to the units because of need.

Some are assigned to stations with units in them to facilitate rotation on to the unit.

Some are assigned to other stations but are detailed to the Units.

If the plan to add more Emergency Units goes forward there will be transfers to properly staff the Units.

These transfers will likely include medics currently assigned to Engine & Truck Companies.

The Department understands burn out and is mindful of medic rotations but medics need to understand they are hired with the condition of employment of maintaining their medical control in New Haven for 10 years.

But what do I know?

Oh yea, you will be paid better than most ambulance services with benefits that far surpass what they are getting now.

And you get to be a part of a Class 1 Fire Department that is seeing fires weekly.

Chief, my young friend is only trying to help based on his own experience and how it has been since beginning his career with the New Haven Fire Dept. I don't even think he is a member of this site.

Believe me, in no way is he trying to give any impression otherwise. I promise everyone, this is not some young cocky kid trying to make a name for himself. He is just a young firefighter who I know and is only trying to offer a potential candidate some advice. I don't think he is trying to over ride any 33 year chief of that department.

I would also like to add that as a Brother Firefighter, I have the highest respect for members of that department such as yourself.  But it was "MY IDEA", NOT his, to contact this individual to try and help with a question.

It's all good Willy.

You are a top shelf guy who has the good of the Fire Service in mind.

Just trying to remind people that there is many layers in the onion. What appears to be the whole story from their perspective is often just one spoke in the wheel.

Congrats to your friend and all the others who have been hired. May the tradition of excellence continue. It is their time to shine.

Thanks Chief. "I kind of sweat it out". I thought to myself, "Man, I respect the $hit outta this guy (referring to you Chief), I sure don't want him coming down on me for this".

A little off tale story about Chief JK, aka "Squadstuff". He was a firefighter during a time when there was NOT one fire every week in New Haven, BUT At Least One Fire EVERY SINGLE DAY. Some of us actually referred to it as "The War Years", similar to the days when the FDNY experienced a staggering number of fires. The City of New Haven certainly saw it's share. I'm witness to that and tell about it today.  Chief JK was on the busiest companies throughout that city during those years.

He worked his way up through the ranks the hard way. Nobody gave him any promotions. As I understand it, Retired Chief JK played a key role in organizing the first two Tactical Units. They were special units assigned the duties similar to a Rescue Company of any large city. One Tac Unit responded to each and every working fire, or any serious pin job throughout the city, haz mat etc. Of course Chief JK was a part of one of those Tac Units himself. Today those Tac Units are now referred to as Squads 1 and 2. They now operate with a Rescue Pumper and operate very similar to the way the Squads throughout the FDNY do. But it was Chief JK who had a hand in first organizing them.

As Chief JK also reports, the New Haven Fire Department is rated as a Class 1 fire dept by the Insurance Services Office, known as "ISO". There are currently only THREE Fire Depts in Connecticut that receive that rating. They are Hartford, Milford and of course New Haven. That rating has a huge impact on what people pay for insurance coverage, particularly for large businesses.

Let me also tell another very quick story here, somewhat Unrelated but interesting. I had the honor of recently meeting another War Years Firefighter. A retired chief of the FDNY. He was the Captain of Engine Co 82 when a famous book was written called "Report from engine Co 82". About the busiest fire company "in the World". He told me that during July, 1975 while he was captain there, Engine Co 82 responded to "210" all hands or multiple alarm fires. That's an average of 7 Working Fires a Day, 24 hours, every day during the month of July, 1975. Hard to even imagine such numbers today.  

I would like it to be known that these are the kinds of guys I look up to. Not some rich politicians only concerned about their own political future, standing there making me a bunch of promises. These retired firefighters are the guys I respect. They actually saved hundreds of lives during their careers. "THEY ARE AMERICA's REAL HERO's".

Chief JK, I hope you are enjoying a well deserved and healthy retirement.

Edited by nfd2004