x635

FDNY Units Respond To Rockland Electrical Substation Fire

9 posts in this topic

I saw on a post on Facebook that FDNY units responded to a substation fire in Hillburn, Rockland County yesterday. It looked like a couple of Engines, Tower Ladder, Battalion, and dry chem unit.

Does anyone know of the protocol behind this? Is it like a task force with Con Ed? What resources do they send?

I'm pretty sure it was a special request by the IC. ConEd maybe gave them the heads up that the Purple K units were an option, but knowing Rockland County, a lot of those guys are FDNY to begin with so they probably knew already that that was an option to go with. Engine 33 and 84 are the closest Purple K units to our area, since the rest are situated in Brooklyn and Queens. I don't know why 23 Truck was added to the assignment but it could be because they have capabilities as well. It's cool to know that our brothers down to the south are more than welcome to give us a helping hand. That's what mutual aid is all about. Great job by all who were there!

vodoly, x635, lt411 and 2 others like this

A well placed clandestine confidential informant close the investigation :-) has told me that there was a lengthy discussion about options and to try the Purple K.  It was an "experiment".   Considering that they used foam from NY and NJ on Sunday, I think we know the result of the experiment.   :-)

Edited by velcroMedic1987