It's not a courtesy - it's the LAW!

19 posts in this topic

It's no longer a COURTESY it's the LAW. 

Governor Cuomo today signed legislation expanding New York State's "Move-Over" Law to volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers. 

The measure (S.7938/A.8702-A) requires drivers to slow down and move over a lane when approaching a vehicle with flashing blue or green lights that are operated by volunteer firefighters or ambulance workers involved in a roadside emergency. 

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-legislation-expanding-new-york-states-move-over-law-include-volunteer

http://news10.com/2016/07/21/nys-move-over-law-now-requires-drivers-to-move-over-for-volunteer-firefighters-ambulance-workers/

Never the less, drive like your life depended on it. 

(**** CLARIFIED POST: this is only for roadside activities and NOT for responding to a scene or department building.  There is still no obligation for drivers to yeild when responding - maybe the next bill.  It appears some people misunderstood the meaning of the legislation.)

Edited by 6714

The "move over law" typically only dealt with vehicles stopped on the road/shoulder. A vehicle approaching would have to move over a lane to the left if save to do so. Is that the case here? I haven't seen the actual bill/law. I didn't think they updated the law to require pulling over to the shoulder for blue/green lights approaching from behind. 

The new law has nothing to do pulling out of the way for volunteers that are responding to an emergency (that still remains a courtesy on part of other drivers).  The new addition to the "move-over" law is directed towards volunteers that are ON SCENE already attending to an emergency.  Essentially, the addition in the law adds that if you see blue or green flashing lights on the side of the road you must do your best to safely move away from them as you would for red and white or amber lights (as already existed in the law).

PLEASE DO NOT MISINTERPRET THIS CHANGE FOR RESPONDING TO EMERGENCIES.  Continue to drive safely, obey all vehicle traffic laws, and just be safe in general!

Chkpoint, bfd1144, BFD1054 and 5 others like this

13 hours ago, Rjsii1432 said:

The "move over law" typically only dealt with vehicles stopped on the road/shoulder. A vehicle approaching would have to move over a lane to the left if save to do so. Is that the case here? I haven't seen the actual bill/law. I didn't think they updated the law to require pulling over to the shoulder for blue/green lights approaching from behind. 

The law is a long time in coming; it'll help to make the scene safer for volunteers and in particular for fire police who have to deal with traffic control.  I wish more laws that benefit the fire service like this would get pushed through as quick as this one was.

14 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

The new law has nothing to do pulling out of the way for volunteers that are responding to an emergency (that still remains a courtesy on part of other drivers).  The new addition to the "move-over" law is directed towards volunteers that are ON SCENE already attending to an emergency.  Essentially, the addition in the law adds that if you see blue or green flashing lights on the side of the road you must do your best to safely move away from them as you would for red and white or amber lights (as already existed in the law).

PLEASE DO NOT MISINTERPRET THIS CHANGE FOR RESPONDING TO EMERGENCIES.  Continue to drive safely, obey all vehicle traffic laws, and just be safe in general!

I could see how the term "move over" could be misconstrued 

EmsFirePolice and dwcfireman like this

19 hours ago, Chkpoint said:

You can still have lights all over your personal vehicle but no one has to pull over for you or I should say let you pass.   It's still a courtesy.  DWC above explained it best.  

If you have lights "all over your personal vehicle"  you have already broken the law.

bfd1144, BFD1054, vwwh1 and 7 others like this

15 hours ago, 410 said:

If you have lights "all over your personal vehicle"  you have already broken the law.

You are very correct; you are permitted to display one blue light (of which the candlepower escapes me at the current time) and that's it.  You are also required to have a "blue light" card signed by the Chief and be able to produce it upon demand.

fdalumnus likes this

34 minutes ago, gamewell45 said:

You are very correct; you are permitted to display one blue light (of which the candlepower escapes me at the current time) and that's it.  You are also required to have a "blue light" card signed by the Chief and be able to produce it upon demand.

50 Candlepower.  Unless they have updated to account for halogen, strobe, LCD and LED's, which I doubt.  I don't think you can even buy a 50 candlepower light anymore.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

I had this argument in another topic where I said you could have 1blue light,  and some volunteers got mad at me.   It's ridiculous how volunteers make their cars look like unmarked police vehicles with lights in the front, rear, sides.   1 light and that's it, all you need.  

Another red light, green light 1, 2, 3 discussion....

If you use a blue light, don't drive like an a$$hole, period. If people want to pull over as a curtesy, terrific. If not, do not tailgate, do not flash your high beams, just deal with it. Regardless, you are to still obey all traffic laws. You are better off not using a light.

As for this new change in the law, I think it's great. Anything that's meant to further protect emergency services is ok in my book.

I think the revision to include blue and green lights/ volunteer fire and EMS is a very good thing. My concern is the following, if we are only allowed one blue light by law, which I personally obey this law, then unless you have a rear facing blue or green light on your vehicle, motorists would not be aware you are fire or EMS. I think the majority of us use a dash light. If they aren't aware, what would prompt them to obey the move over law and give us a safer scene to operate at. Just my thoughts.

EmsFirePolice likes this

3 hours ago, JP59 said:

I think the revision to include blue and green lights/ volunteer fire and EMS is a very good thing. My concern is the following, if we are only allowed one blue light by law, which I personally obey this law, then unless you have a rear facing blue or green light on your vehicle, motorists would not be aware you are fire or EMS. I think the majority of us use a dash light. If they aren't aware, what would prompt them to obey the move over law and give us a safer scene to operate at. Just my thoughts.

I haven't used a blue light in probably 10 or more years now, however come January I'll dig out my old revolving blue light and place it on the roof upon arriving on scene, thus ideally drivers approaching the scene will take notice and slow down, etc.

fdalumnus and JP59 like this

11 minutes ago, gamewell45 said:

I haven't used a blue light in probably 10 or more years now, however come January I'll dig out my old revolving blue light and place it on the roof upon arriving on scene, thus ideally drivers approaching the scene will take notice and slow down, etc.

Maybe the revolving blue lights will make a comeback for this purpose. You never know.

velcroMedic1987 and gamewell45 like this

24 minutes ago, JP59 said:

Maybe the revolving blue lights will make a comeback for this purpose. You never know.

I stopped using blue lights since (they are courtesy lights and most drivers are not courteous anyhow) they confused more drivers than not; the last thing you wanted to do was to sit at a red traffic light with your blue light flashing and no one from the other three opposing lanes move because they don't know what to make of it.  The way I look at it, I'll get there when I get there.  Btw I do think you may be right on the comeback of revolving lights; it makes common sense.

Edited by gamewell45
fdalumnus and JP59 like this

This thread, which started off well, has become disgusting. A bill was proposed and passed and signed into law that will help make it safer to work on the roadside at an emergency incident and it has devolved in fewer that a dozen posts into the age old debate about courtesy lights. The phrase courtesy light does not appear in any state statute, it only exists in the mind of a few career firefighters who want to remind the public that only some firefighters are entitled to come home alive, that only some residents and communities are entitled to a timely response. Sometimes I wonder if every time someone does not pull over for a blue light (extending courtesy as some would call it) it is because they have been told they do not need to by a bad element of the fire service.

when I first started out as volunteer,(yes, the apparatus was motorized) we were instructed in the "Essential of Firemanship," the ins and outs of the blue light laws of NY State. I still remember Jim Taxter, who I believe was a volunteer with the Tarrytown FD, stressing that the blue light was just a courtesy light. Gamewell hit the nail on the head why I never used a blue light. Standing at a red light made me feel like a jerk at times. For me, its common sense to safely move over whether the light is red, blue, green or amber. I was taught by my father, when operating a motor vehicle, I was responsible for the safety of everyone, including people sitting on the side of the roadway. Defensive driving seems to be a thing of the past.

I prefer that warning lights be visible 360 degrees. just safer, but that can be a point well debated.

gamewell45 likes this

I think you should move over one lane whether it's  PD/ Fire/ EMS or tow truck operating or if someone is changing a flat tire.  Where I start going nuts on the volleys and blue lights is because in the past 10-15 years the younger generation of volunteers seem to go overboard with lights.  Tailgating people and blowing red lights and stop signs.  Sure people should let a volunteer pass WHEN ITS SAFE.  But guys have to calm down thinking they have a right to ignore vehicle and traffic laws.  

BFD1054, EmsFirePolice and JP59 like this