Viper

2 top Mount Vernon fire officials resign

8 posts in this topic

Acting Fire Commissioner Ernie Richardson and Chief of Operations Thomas Duffy are apparently the two latest appointees of Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas' administration to call it quits.

Sources say the veteran firefighters recently submitted their resignations, but it is unclear why.

http://westchester.news12.com/news/2-top-mount-vernon-fire-officials-resign-1.12094916

I grew up in Mount Vernon and as a former resident I am continually embarrassed by the state of affairs in that city. I was hoping the new Mayor was going to change things. I have friends and family members  that used to be a part of MVFD and the situation in that department is particularly embarrassing and sad as well. Its always chaos.

BIGRED1 likes this

Read that update and it still smells fishy to me. Mount Vernon is always going to be in ruins unless they just change the whole system up. The politics need to change and they need to bring in people to that fire department who know what they are doing and are willing to take the time to rebuild and fight for the necessities. The politicians can't be using emergency services as a political toy to bait with. Lives are at stake and those shenanigans need to stop. I don't know how many chiefs are retiring out of FDNY but maybe somebody with that level of experience should be running the department. That's just my two cents. If they don't take themselves seriously and try to make things better for themselves, nothing will change and they'll still be looked down upon. And that's not right to the firefighters who take the job seriously and to the people of Mount Vernon who rely on their services.

1 hour ago, nydude2473 said:

Read that update and it still smells fishy to me. Mount Vernon is always going to be in ruins unless they just change the whole system up. The politics need to change and they need to bring in people to that fire department who know what they are doing and are willing to take the time to rebuild and fight for the necessities. The politicians can't be using emergency services as a political toy to bait with. Lives are at stake and those shenanigans need to stop. I don't know how many chiefs are retiring out of FDNY but maybe somebody with that level of experience should be running the department. That's just my two cents. If they don't take themselves seriously and try to make things better for themselves, nothing will change and they'll still be looked down upon. And that's not right to the firefighters who take the job seriously and to the people of Mount Vernon who rely on their services.

It has nothing to do with the quality or capabilities of the latest FD officials, it's the political oversight that is unwilling to allow the FD to manage itself 

fdalumnus, bad box, lemonice and 1 other like this

I feel like it takes two to tango though. As much as there is a lot of political oversight going on, I also feel like the heads of the Fire Department are also a bit in disarray. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but you can only do so much blaming on the political system. At some point you got to just grab the bull by the horns and get the job done.