Harrison063

city of Hartford Firefighter Closing 9/13/2016 5:00 PM

5 posts in this topic

Firefighter
Salary $52,950.56 - $78,601.64 Annually $52,950.56 - $78,601.64 Annually Location Public Safety Complex - 253 High Street, CT Public Safety Complex - 253 High Street, CT
Job Type Full Time Department Fire Department
Job Number 00036 Closing 9/13/2016 5:00 PM Eastern

Description
Anticipated vacancies in the Fire Department. Under supervision, participates in the operation of a single fire company by performing customary firefighter duties, including fire suppression: i.e. advancing of hose lines, both vertically and horizontally under adverse conditions. Works in extreme adverse climates. Maintains department equipment and property. Participates in training exercises and conducts area surveys. Must be able to wear self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) without restrictions. Must be able to climb and use aerial ladders at various heights and under adverse conditions. This is a UNION position and the current hours of work are 24 hours on and 72 hours off, including weekends and holidays. Performs related work as required. NOTE: Firefighter recruits will be paid at a rate of 10% below the base rate of the salary range for the first six (6) months of employment. Salary and benefits are subject to collective bargaining.

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities

The examination process will consist of a written test, an oral test, a physical agility test, a background investigation, a medical examination, a drug test, and a probationary period of one year (beginning on the date sworn in as a Hartford Firefighter). All parts of the examination are designed to determine the ability of applicants to learn and perform the duties of a Firefighter, as stated above, in an inner-city environment. This examination is subject to all Federal, State and Municipal Laws, Rules and Regulations.
Qualifications
Open to all applicants who meet the below qualifications.

AGE: Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.

CITIZENSHIP: MUST BE A CITIZEN OF THE U.S. AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.

EDUCATION: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education. A COPY OF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, GED CERTIFICATE OR TRANSCRIPT MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION.

DRIVER'S LICENSE: Valid driver's license required. A COPY OF THE LICENSE MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION. Out-of-State license holders must obtain valid Connecticut driver's license during the Academy Training period for firefighters.

HARTFORD RESIDENCY REQUIRED:
Must be bona-fide resident of the City of Hartford at the time of application. A completed City of Hartford Residency Form must be submitted with the application. (SEE BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING RESIDENCY).

PHYSICAL: 
Must pass a thorough medical examination which will include drug and alcohol testing.

VISION: 
Without correction, not less than 20/100 in each eye; with correction, not less than 20/30 in each eye.

VERIFICATION: 
ALL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE VERIFIED. A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE ADMINISTERED. FALSIFICATION OF ANY INFORMATION WILL AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE RECRUITMENT AND TESTING PROCESS AND WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION, IF HIRED.

APPLICATION FEE: 
In order for your application to be considered, a $25.00 MONEY ORDER or CERTIFIED BANK CHECK, PAYABLE TO THE "CITY OF HARTFORD", must be submitted with the application and received no later than the closing date and time of this posting. BE SURE TO WRITE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS & THE POSITION "FIREFIGHTER" ON THE MONEY ORDER OR BANK CHECK. NO CASH or PERSONAL CHECKS will be accepted. This fee is non-refundable.

Other Information
HOW TO APPLY: 
Please submit completed application and payment in person or by mail to the City of Hartford, Human Resources Department, 550 Main Street, Room 3, Hartford, CT 06103.

APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THEIR ENTIRETY, INCLUDING PAYMENT AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION. NO FOLLOW UPS WILL BE MADE FOR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS OR MISSING PAYMENTS.

COMPLETED APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN-PERSON OR BY MAIL MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT NO LATER THAN THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED IN PERSON OR BY MAIL AFTER THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

WRITTEN EXAM:
It is anticipated that the Written Exam will be administered in the beginning to middle of OCTOBER 2016. Specific dates to be determined.

CITY OF HARTFORD RESIDENCY AFFIDAVIT
In order to qualify for residency with the City of Hartford Human Resources Rules and Regulations, the City of Hartford requires that you provide irrefutable evidence to substantiate that at the date of your application for employment you are domiciled in the City of Hartford.

For the purpose of this Request, "DOMICILED" is defined to be "that place where an individual has his/her true, fixed and permanent home, where he or she normally eats and sleeps and maintains his or her normal personal and household effects."

You are required to complete and submit this form at the time of your application for employment. You must also be prepared to submit any additional documentation, as the Director of Human Resources may require. This information will be subject to verification during the background investigation.

NOTICE: THE APPLICANT BEARS THE BURDEN TO SHOW LEGAL DOMICILE. ANY FALSE OR MISLEADING STATEMENTS WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION OR DISMISSAL.

The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application or testing process, please contact the Human Resources Department.

Agency
City of Hartford - Human Resources Department
Address
Human Resources Department
550 Main Street 
Hartford, Connecticut, 06103.
Phone
860-757-9800 
Website
http://www.hartford.gov

It has gone well in the past and I am sure it will go well during this testing as well. If you want a Fire Job you are willing to go though extreme measures to secure that.  If that includes calling them up and asking if you move to Hartford right now will that let you take the test... Well by god let that happen. 

Already have a fire job, not leaving to go to a city who's mayor is more concerned about his political career and would sell out his city to get a chance at the state house. 

My concern is the degradation of standards in the fire service in the interest of diversity. I don't know if you could say the hiring process have gone well if it leads to hiring firefighters who ...

Get arrested for child abuse http://fox61.com/2016/04/19/female-hartford-firefighter-arrested-for-assaulting-her-child-over-2-years/

Assault fellow officers on the fireground http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/troubleshooters/Hartford-Firefighter-Arrested-Confrontation-Lieutenant-Patterson-Dalton-323005331.html

Act recklessly with firearms http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-hartford-firefighter-arrested-1204-20141203-story.html

Are forced to resign after FOUR DUI arrests http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Hartford-Firefighter-on-Leave-After-Driving-Under-Influence-Arrest--289584071.html

Operate "drug factories" selling coke and ecstasy!!! http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Hartford-Firefighter-Charged-With-Running-Drug-Factory-164923516.html

These are just the first  stories from the past few years that pop up in a quick Google search. Are you seeing this kind of criminal behavior in such numbers in departments like  Greenwich, Norwalk or anywhere in Westchester (besides cities that hire only residents to promote diversity)? No, you're seeing this is Hartford, in Bridgeport, and New Haven. Cities that dumb down tests and give city residents enormous legs up on the test. 

Even if Hartford had no residency preference I wouldn't be taking this test, so that's not what matters to me. What infuriates me about this is seeing the fire service dumbed down to the point that criminals who can barely read or write their own names are being handed jobs, while guys from out of town who actually want the job and would work hard don't get a chance. 

Harrison063 likes this

In 1975 I took the test for Bridgeport. Didn't get the job because I didn't look the way they wanted me too. Basically I didn't get it because of Affirmative Action. Yet I grew up in the same neighborhood and went to the same schools as some of those that did get it.

Shortly after I got a job as a firefighter in another smaller Connecticut city. Where I spent 30 years on the job, 13 of which as an officer. 

Later one of the affirmative action candidates was arrested for driving a get away car in a murder. Others got two years back pay and benefits after winning their court case. Some worked the job for two or three months, took all that back pay and quit the job never to be seen again. 

Hartford has had similar cases. What is really sad is the decent people who earned these jobs, some who would have easily gotten them without putting affirmative action to work for them. 

somebuffyguy likes this