trauma74

Fire chief resigns after DWI charge

7 posts in this topic

As  posted on this site a million times about this topic this is an abuse of privilege!!!  I was up in the  Lake George area  last week and a down south chiefs truck blew by me on the Northway.  The best now is the trucks with the ghost writing on them!!! 

At least he was stand up enough to stand down.

From what I heard, he really did not have much of a choice

DR104 likes this

My wife was cut off and almost run off the road last week on the Thruway in Orange County, by a van owned by an FD on Long Island. 

fire patrol nyc likes this

The privilege of driving fire department apparatus, including command vehicles, vans, and utility style trucks, is often abused because a deep thought that, "Oh, I can do what I want," or, "The cops won't stop this vehicle."  The abuse then leads to the public seeing us acting as morons, and occasionally we screw ourselves in the end by crashing (or severely damaging) the vehicle, never mind killing someone due to carelessness!  And, the privilege is abused by both paid and volunteer firefighters alike.  I've even seen a large FD owned van fly by me on Rt. 17 up near Roscoe (it belonged to a large city FD with BIG unmistakable markings on it).  But, this isn't about the type of firefighter who's driving the vehicle, because this kind of crap happens every where!  Rigs rolled over while out for a joy ride, command vehicles crashed resulting from DUI, apparatus wrecked de to a lack of situational awareness.  It happens all of the time, and it needs to stop!

The bottom line is, if you are given the privilege to drive any type of fire apparatus, remember that you are representing your department the entire time you are in control of that vehicle.  It has your markings, your patch, and your colors on it.  The public knows who that vehicle belongs to.  Drive in a manner that the public knows that you are safer than them.  Drive defensively.  When responding to alarms, drive like someone's life depends on it (because it may), but do it in a safe manner (remember the term "due regard" before you blow through that red light with red lights and siren blaring).  And, most of all, just use common sense!  Keep your eyes peeled and your ears tuned for traffic and pedestrians.  Stay alert to changing road conditions.  Stay in the moment and focus on what you are doing.  If we stay safe, the public stays safe.  If the public is safe, we have nothing to worry about.

nfd2004, trauma74 and EmsFirePolice like this