dwcfireman

Radio Etiquette

14 posts in this topic

http://www.firehouse.com/video/12249195/brooklyn-blaze-battled-by-fdny

**THERE IS SOME NAUGHTY LANGUAGE IN THIS VIDEO!**

I'm not sharing this to pick on anyone, but as a general reminder to keep your cool and choose your language wisely on the radio.  Some colorful language is used at the beginning of this video, using some strong words that should NEVER be transmitted over any frequency!

37 minutes ago, dwcfireman said:

http://www.firehouse.com/video/12249195/brooklyn-blaze-battled-by-fdny

**THERE IS SOME NAUGHTY LANGUAGE IN THIS VIDEO!**

I'm not sharing this to pick on anyone, but as a general reminder to keep your cool and choose your language wisely on the radio.  Some colorful language is used at the beginning of this video, using some strong words that should NEVER be transmitted over any frequency!

God forbid you ever hear get me a god damn line up here. I would be offended to hear that anywhere. Glad to see FDNY suffers like everyone else once in a while.

bfd1144 and dwcfireman like this

I disagree, there are times you should hear language like that but it should only be used when its needed like "Get the F out of the building".  

This is from Brooklyn.  If it was from the Bronx the reply you would hear would be something to the effect of "Act like you've done this before" or "Are there any professionals on the second floor?"

lt411 and spin_the_wheel like this

Seriously you are upset over language on a fire ground /tac radio?  As long as it's not over main communications talk to each other however you want.  On my jobs tac channel we speak anyway which way to get the job done or get a point across. As long as FCC and scanner buffs listening everywhere don't hear it who cares.  This sounds like more PC BS that doesn't need to be brought up or have a topic thread open about it.  Nice video though hope everyone got home safe. 

Billy, AFS1970, Newtofire and 4 others like this

6 hours ago, Chkpoint said:

Seriously you are upset over language on a fire ground /tac radio?  As long as it's not over main communications talk to each other however you want.  On my jobs tac channel we speak anyway which way to get the job done or get a point across. As long as FCC and scanner buffs listening everywhere don't hear it who cares.  This sounds like more PC BS that doesn't need to be brought up or have a topic thread open about it.  Nice video though hope everyone got home safe. 

It's not about being offended or upset about the language; It's about being professional.

And, though the FCC probably will never hear you curse on a tac or fire ground frequency, someone in the public realm will.  It's just as unprofessional being caught cursing on the radio as it is being caught cursing on camera.

If that's what it takes to get your point across to get the job done, so be it.

Hope everyone went home safe.

We've become so PC and pussified in recent years, it's scary.

Does is sound professional? Maybe not. But the men making these statements are likely some of the most professional in the business. 

bad box, nfd2004, Chris pd and 5 others like this

Are we really trying to make an issue on this ?   Did you write this from your safe space?  If you have a problem with the way the chief spoke why don't you take a drive to talk to him.  And I'm sure he'll tell you to get the f*** outta his office.  If you're not gonna do that I suggest you stop being a keyboard warrior and focus on something else that matters more 

My view of radio etiquette may be different from others.  I prefer a quick, concise, informational radio call that can transmit the appropriate information to assign a task or get a job done.  I get frustrated when pertinent information is not transmitted or when a transmission is garbled with misinformation or non-important media. The use of curse words does not accomplish a goal or task faster, rather that is stimulates the receivers mind in a manner that it causes fear and confusion.  Fear and confusion can then lead the receiver of the information to panic, thus creating an adverse effect in the operation of the goal/task at hand.  Essentially, it causes an effect in the receiver's brain where he/she believes that they are being yelled at, and have a moment of clarity that makes him/her believe that they are doing something wrong, and induces a mini panic attack where they continue to do something wrong.  By the way, this is something I learned in my psych courses over ten years ago, long before the BS millennial "safe places" and "political correctness" were such a thing.  This reasoning is in psychological text books still today.

As for the professionalism side of the argument I was originally going for is the sake that there are people watching and listening.  I'm sure the majority of the public doesn't care, but some people do.  I care.  If we, as a service, want to appear as the professional life savers of the public that we always do, we need to conduct ourselves in a professional manner in every facet of the job, including talking on the radio.  My point here is that the more professional we are in every little detail while conducting our job, the more professional and the public perceives us as.  Sometimes it's little things that carry a person a long way.

Edited by dwcfireman
Change of words
EmsFirePolice and lt411 like this

Given the circumstances they get a by. Sounds like he was calling for a line and it wasn't coming fast enough. I think we all have been in situations where the last thing we are worried about is our language. What is important is they got the job done and went home to their families

16 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

It's not about being offended or upset about the language; It's about being professional.

And, though the FCC probably will never hear you curse on a tac or fire ground frequency, someone in the public realm will.  It's just as unprofessional being caught cursing on the radio as it is being caught cursing on camera.

Some years ago I would have agreed with this, but today F@#k this, F@#k that and f@#k the other thing, IS the language of the public realm. Nobody cares how many f@#ks one gives anymore. I mean jeez, just about any movie you see has more F bombs than anything else in the dialogue for Christ's sake.

On the video, honestly, if telling a crew to get their line in place and "put the f@#king fire out" over the radio gets them moving to do just that...well then that's A-OK in my book. But hey, my ears lost their virginity a long long time ago so...

bad box, bfd1144, nfd2004 and 6 others like this

I guess I was just raised to get all those naughty words out through the course of fire house banter (ask anyone, I swear like a F-ing sailor), and to not use them while active on the scene.

FFPCogs and trauma74 like this

2 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

I guess I was just raised to get all those naughty words out through the course of fire house banter (ask anyone, I swear like a F-ing sailor), and to not use them while active on the scene.

And I commend you for it. I too do my best to keep my radio talk separate from my day to day language, but I do accept that society's views on appropriate language usage have changed quite a bit in my lifetime. And well sometimes, a little "emphasis" is just what's needed to get thing moving

dwcfireman likes this

When the Sh** is hitting the fan on the fire floor or the floor above, language frequently gets salty. Anyone who has spent some time in zero visibility and high heat while searching for life, forcing doors, getting a line into position or trying to find their way out would likely agree.

Newtofire, nfd2004, lt411 and 7 others like this