PCFD ENG58

Millwood New York Ex 1957 B Mack restored

11 posts in this topic

Looks great, remember this truck from my earliest days.  Love those B series Macks. I see it was changed to an automatic, was there a re-power?

Westfield12 and x635 like this

Was repowered when it was still in service in Millwood , A guess about 1985 or so . There is someone on here that knows this engine very well

Edited by PCFD ENG58
Westfield12 and x635 like this

I lusted after that truck for the longest time.  I was too deep in restoring by '57 B Model from my college department that I bought.  The rig from Millwood was the first rig I ever went to a fire in.  At the time of construction, was one of the most modern pieces of fire apparatus ever built.  Enclosed cab for 5 FF's, early version of pre-piped foam, 1500 gallon tank on tandem axles.  It is one of two tandem axle factory B models ever built (others were built off of Mack chassis by other apparatus outfitters).  The other went to a company just outside Pittsburgh.  This rig was re powered from a 707c to a N/A diesel (which I have always believed to be a Mack unit but not 100% sure), power steering was added (it wasn't very effective), auto trans replaced the 5 speed crash box (the rig should have always been spec'd with a 5speed main and at least a two or three speed aux box) and air brakes were added.  Even with the diesel the rig was a pig, but it served Millwood very will until 1995 when T-15 was purchased.  My first job on this rig (and one of its last) was a fire in Yorktown's southern box on Adams Ridge Road running as a tanker.  The following year it shuttled a few loads of water 1994 I believe at a big fire in Croton's box on Bethea drive.  That was about it for the rig though.  It was incredibly slow even with the diesel motor.  You could potentially jog up Allapartus Road faster than this thing could go.  It was also limited as a tanker because it didn't have a dump valve and the TTP valve to pump the load off was only 1.5inch.

Nonetheless, this is my absolute favorite piece of firefighting history and quite possibly the most handsome fire truck ever produced.  I'm not sure who owns it now, but the restoration that they performed appears to be of the quality that I had planned for it if I ever got a hold of it (and subsequently what I did on my '57 from college.)

My '57

General Ike.png

EmsFirePolice, x635, vodoly and 4 others like this

B E A U T I F U L ! ! A friend and I were just talking about this rig the other day, I believe we had found something similar cabwise on an auction site. @msm232 or was I just imagining things?

Thanks for sharing the pics @PCFD ENG58, look like it was a great day at the Mackfest, . and thanks for the info/background @mfc2257!

Westfield12 likes this

beautiful rig, I actually had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman who owns this rig at the allentown spring melt show me and him were both at the spaamfaa booth renewing our enjine! enjine! subscriptions, lol, we both started shooting the breeze and i come to find out he owned it. Very nice man and on the younger side like early 40's so shell be kept like that for a long time.

Westfield12 likes this