SOUSGT

NYPD New RMPs

18 posts in this topic

NYPD has added new vehicles to their fleet. I saw a few of these in Manhattan today. 

Maybe we could have a caption contest? 

Here are my entries 

1) "I thought I told you not to leave the RMP out in the rain!"

2) "And what do you want to be when you grow up?"

20160922_152630.jpg

20160922_152727.jpg

Viper, LayTheLine, Billy and 1 other like this

Wow, they thought the Altima's were tight on space....they probably wish to get back into an Altima after being assigned this "buggy"

Second thought, now we know why they had to reduce the speed limit in the City.

Edited by JackEMT

They "DO" look like "Clown Cars" and I know I wouldn't want to be the guy driving it. I have trouble getting out of a full size SUV, let alone this little midget.

BUT, maybe for practical purposes, it's use will be very good getting around tight traffic spots of Manhattan, or as those scooters were sometimes used, for the parks and maybe a few housing projects.

The plus side of it for the officers is that they are heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. New York City is the Proving Ground for anything new. Whether it be the police dept or the fire dept.

As I look back on the years, at least as I remember, with few exceptions, it was NYC that changed from OPEN CAB fire apparatus to ENCLOSED CAB fire apparatus. After that we all just followed. Or from three quarter boots to bunker gear.  NYC was the first place to have a designated fire company as a FAST Co, despite what others might like to take credit for. Which in the beginning was referred to as a FAT Company (Firefighter Assist Team).

Whether the "Clown Cars" work for the NYPD is something that NYC will test for any other major city before they have to spend the money for themselves.

All kidding aside, any police or fire chief, police officer or firefighter, that wants to learn from the most experienced department in the world, "they are very often willing to share the information they have to others who may need it. For those who live just outside the NYC area, you have a pretty good opportunity to learn from the most experienced. Just don't go in there and tell them how to do their job. I know on a few occasions, and ONLY A FEW, I had such a character with me. He ended up making a fool of himself and it just didn't go over too well. 

In this case, if your a Police Chief, let NYC do the work for you. If your department might have an interest in anything like this, give them a year trial and see how they work out. I know before the fire dept made any commitment on bunker gear, that's just what they did. A trail period of one year in some busy companies before they made the final decision to buy about 10,000 sets of bunker gear.

x635, LayTheLine, lt411 and 1 other like this

England was using them for years . I don't know were you put the bunker gear. 

Smart car.jpg

Edited by SOUSGT
spelling
LayTheLine likes this

How.....How do some of the officers fit in there?  I'm 6' 4" and I complained about driving a Chevy Colorado.

LayTheLine likes this

On 9/27/2016 at 0:36 AM, dwcfireman said:

How.....How do some of the officers fit in there?  I'm 6' 4" and I complained about driving a Chevy Colorado.

I know a few troopers of the same size who used to drive the 5.0L Mustangs.

We used to chuckle watching them getting in and out of those cars. 

LayTheLine, dwcfireman and vodoly like this

17 minutes ago, fire patrol nyc said:

I think FDNY also considered fire assist rescue team,until they realized it would be F.A.R.T......

LOL!!!!!

LayTheLine and fire patrol nyc like this

21 hours ago, fire patrol nyc said:

I think FDNY also considered fire assist rescue team,until they realized it would be F.A.R.T......

I think someone had a brain FART  when they made this selection. 

Its hard to take someone seriously when they get out of one of these vehicles. 

But then maybe its the administration's hope that the bad guys would be laughing too hard to run? 

vodoly likes this

I’m new to this site. And I’m new to what an “RMP” is. Could someone please tell me? Thanks.

NYPD has almost every kind of vehicle. They use scooters, they hade Cushman trikes for a long time. It is not unusual to see a 15 passenger van being used to transport foot patrol officers. They are very divers and innovative in vehicle deployment.

LayTheLine likes this

Back in the 80s the city had us using "k" cars. What goes around comes around I guess

Not including Clown cars and various Cushmans and segways, I was told that the NYPD has a variety of RMPs makes ,in the event of a serious manufacturers recall, the entire fleet would not be affected, now I do not know if that is fact or fiction

These cars are not for routine patrol.
They are not assigned as precinct sector cars.
Most are assigned to Traffic Enforcement and many are operated by Traffic Agents.
They are assigned to precincts, but are primarily used for summons duty and traffic enforcement.
They are not used to answer emergency calls, transport prisoners or complainants, or any normal patrol function.
They are utilized in limited patrol settings, such as parks and boardwalks where traditional RMP's may encounter difficulties.

They are replacing the three-wheeled scooters.
These vehicles have the following advantages over a three-wheeled scooter:

real heat,

A/C,

better seating for operator and the ability to seat more than one person,

more storage, 

am/fm radio,

seatbelts,

airbag,

side-impact protection,

require no mcy license to drive,

...and I am sure a few other benefits.

oh, and they cost about $2,500 less than a three-wheeled scooter.

Edited by 10512
nfd2004 likes this